• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Fall Foliage 2011

Baroclinic Zone

Nice shots. I had posted these over the weekend from Shelburne (MA, not VT) in the banter thread. Actually, the bottom two are looking at Vermont. I'm not sure if that's Mt. Snow on the left. We're less than 30 miles south of it, and that one looks more than 30 miles. Ideas?

Looks good man. I don't know southern VT too well--but just had a gander at the topos of that area. Maybe what you're seeing is the ridge that Mt Snow is part of? Mt Snow is the northern peak of that ridge and Haystack, the southern.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After driving around yesterday, I'd say we're at peak and it's quite nice.

Only notable observation I can make is that it's the sugar maples that are lacking around here this year... I'd guess 75% of them. There are several massive southern-live-oak sized sugar maples I know of that turn the most electric shades of orange and they're all this sickly yellow-brown color.

The various cultivars of acer rubrum like the ones powderfreak posted above are all turning their standard electric red. It's a shame they have tiny leaves... wish they were more like the size of the sugar maples.

After driving around yesterday, I'd say we're at peak and it's quite nice.

Only notable observation I can make is that it's the sugar maples that are lacking around here this year... I'd guess 75% of them. There are several massive southern-live-oak sized sugar maples I know of that turn the most electric shades of orange and they're all this sickly yellow-brown color.

The various cultivars of acer rubrum like the ones powderfreak posted above are all turning their standard electric red. It's a shame they have tiny leaves... wish they were more like the size of the sugar maples.

Its funny you should say that because I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday when I came across those in the parking lot. The vibrancy of color on those are unmatched this fall... if only we could fill a forest or hillside with those instead of quasi-landscaped areas around parking lots and buildings!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived