EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
2011 GHD Blizzard images for AMS talk

Thundersnow12

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with that, just because there was a 12 year difference doesn't make it a 1 in 12 year event like someone is trying to elude to.

I was saying both storms can be in the same category. haha

I agree with the 1 in 25 year event statement.

Probably a near 18" storm with lack of wind is a 1 in 15 year event here. Lake Michigan skews those categories though, due to the lake enhancement. I guess you have to go with the wind factor and sustained blizzard conditions factor.

Yeah probably a 1 in 20-30 year kind of event.  We've had a few storms that locally were just about as good, but those two events were much smaller in overall size.  Those two were the Dec 87 blizzard and the Jan 95 blizzard.  The '11 blizzard was an absolute powerhouse of a system that had a huge swath of very heavy snow. 

My non weather interested wife went to the window in the morning and said, "Is this it?"

18-24 inches verified with 6.

Surprised you only got 6". Got 10" here though obviously it was a disappointment. DTX forecast like 10-16" I believe, never 18"+, but we would have had an unheard of snowpack if we had 18-24" (had 6" on the ground before the storm and the snows that followed the storm). Quite a shame that one of Detroits snowiest months on record has the taint of beginning with a bust.

Was it dry air that short changed eastern MI?

I don't remembrr what it was. All I know is it was only my 3rd favorite snowstorm that MONTH :lol: I did see a bit of thundersnow the evening of Feb 1st, but it didn't compare to the whiteouts with the February 5th storm or thr whiteouts & tremendous thundersnow with the February 20th storm.

The sleet storm was fun and all but no way I would be sticking around for that again. I wonder what the return rate is for 4" of sleet.

Hopefully the last time I will ever see sleet drifting like that. If it's a 1-in-50 year event, I'll be over 100 :oldman:

Lol, thats what she said. Literally :-)

Bwahaha.

We were forecasted to get a crippling icestorm.  In fact the governor even delivered a special statement warning all of us to be prepared.  We had about 2 hours of heavy freezing rain which switched to plain cold rain.   I'm not sure if this storm had a significant icestorm portion to it or not.  Seems like it was mostly rain, heavy sleet, or snow.

I don't remembrr what it was. All I know is it was only my 3rd favorite snowstorm that MONTH :lol: I did see a bit of thundersnow the evening of Feb 1st, but it didn't compare to the whiteouts with the February 5th storm or thr whiteouts & tremendous thundersnow with the February 20th storm.

It was a dryslot. T-snow posted this on p.4.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/26126-2011-ghd-blizzard-images-for-ams-talk/?p=1186321

Was it dry air that short changed eastern MI?

Dryslot from hell.. Clipped a slew of areas ( even here but not as bad as out that way and thus total of 14" here ) in S.MI.

I was saying both storms can be in the same category. haha

I agree with the 1 in 25 year event statement.

Probably a near 18" storm with lack of wind is a 1 in 15 year event here. Lake Michigan skews those categories though, due to the lake enhancement. I guess you have to go with the wind factor and sustained blizzard conditions factor.

Prior to 1999 was 1979 and 1967. I still think 67 makes GHD look like a joke as the 18+ totals was alot more widespread. 67 was probably the 100yr storm for these parts.. Granted 78 makes a great case as well..

Dryslot from hell.. Clipped a slew of areas ( even here but not as bad as out that way and thus total of 14" here ) in S.MI.

Prior to 1999 was 1979 and 1967. I still think 67 makes GHD look like a joke as the 18+ totals was alot more widespread. 67 was probably the 100yr storm for these parts.. Granted 78 makes a great case as well..

It's noteworthy that as you work your way down in snow accumulations numbers - you don't have to go very far down in inches before you start seeing storms every 3 years or so that produce around 15", 16" around here and southern WI.

Outside of lake effect, it is really hard to get a storm to produce over 20". Coastal zones it's no problem in the NE, but the Midwest... it's hard.

Archived