• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 GHD Blizzard images for AMS talk

Thundersnow12

Myself and another met major at COD (Chi Town Wx) will be giving a talk in November on the Blizzard this past winter and hoping to get retired forecaster from LOT, Paul Merzlock to join us. Anyway, I thought I would make a thread and put up the images we use as we make the powerpoint/talk. Should help some of us during this boring pattern as we get closer to hopefully another snowy winter :thumbsup:

I was wondering if there was was a thread for images from this event already but oh well lol

Here are some I've put in already..

post-266-0-39780900-1316473687.gif

Baro did you put this one together?

post-266-0-62810400-1316473610.png

post-266-0-71132000-1316473566.gif

post-266-0-49814200-1316473818.gif

will have alot more over the coming days and weeks!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that middle image with the doodling was mine. I was mainly pointing out the impact of the feedback process via deep, moist convection within the WCB and the coupled jet streak.

Thought so lol

here is the insane low-level barocline zone set up ahead of this thing, 20 degree gradient from northwest IL to southern IL.

post-266-0-30166900-1316560135.gif

Thought so lol

here is the insane low-level barocline zone set up ahead of this thing, 20 degree gradient from northwest IL to southern IL.

post-266-0-30166900-1316560135.gif

Nice. Another thing I remember is the insane CC conveyor ripping across southern Wisconsin and northern/central Illinois that evening. 60+kts at 850mb IIRC.

saved those images the second you posted them.

This had me going back an re-reading a few of the posts from the epic 10 thread discussion. I found a few of the images I had created during the event.

Gravity Waves E. Iowa - Associated with the 60+ mph gusts across the eastern part of the state.

PIA -EPV (instability) PIA DGZ/Omega

ORD -EPV ORD DGZ/Omega

This had me going back an re-reading a few of the posts from the epic 10 thread discussion. I found a few of the images I had created during the event.

Gravity Waves E. Iowa - Associated with the 60+ mph gusts across the eastern part of the state.

PIA -EPV (instability) PIA DGZ/Omega

ORD -EPV ORD DGZ/Omega

saved those too :) I got like 200 images haha

I will put up some more later.

GHD was the first time my school had ever canceled school the night before. Even though it may not have quite lived up to it in MI, the hype that it generated was ridiculous. I remember I was in a computers class the day before and half of the computers had to have been weather.com. Including the teacher. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings that night for dinner and they actually had a TV that was tuned into the weather channel.

GHD was the first time my school had ever canceled school the night before. Even though it may not have quite lived up to it in MI, the hype that it generated was ridiculous. I remember I was in a computers class the day before and half of the computers had to have been weather.com. Including the teacher. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings that night for dinner and they actually had a TV that was tuned into the weather channel.

My college closed early that day and then we were closed the next two days after.

Eastern Iowa got into the action for awhile. What a beast.

Yeah there was a band that stalled over the nose of Iowa east of Cedar Rapids. There were snow rates over 3"/hr there for a few hrs IIRC. Clinton Iowa (AWOS) had a 66mph wind gust as well.

My college closed early that day and then we were closed the next two days after.

Yeah our plant closed down for a day and a half which is unheard of. We usually stay open even during the worst winter storms. Nice hand analysis on the previous page BTW.

Ah that was so beautiful. I remember NAM/GFS was still spitting out 2.00+ 24hrs before the storm. I think Chicago 20 inches was the lowest it could have gotten with this storm. The snow was not thick or big at all. It was more showery witch I think knocked off 4-6 inches. Still though waking up to 4-5 foot drifts was amazing and that 1hr period of very heavy LES.

Archived