• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 GHD Blizzard images for AMS talk

Thundersnow12

Ah that was so beautiful. I remember NAM/GFS was still spitting out 2.00+ 24hrs before the storm. I think Chicago 20 inches was the lowest it could have gotten with this storm. The snow was not thick or big at all. It was more showery witch I think knocked off 4-6 inches. Still though waking up to 4-5 foot drifts was amazing and that 1hr period of very heavy LES.

Ya....3"/hr type showery...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya it started 230pm and ended like 3-4am but then a 1hr period of heavy fat LES snow started around 8am and ended like 8:50am. I was hoping we just had those big flat flakes but it was very showery most of the time but still all that wind. I walked during the evening when we were in the middle of it to gas station a block away to get bread and milk and I never seen it so packed there. You could barely park there. My brother freaks out at the same time Jim Cantore did when we saw the flash of lightning and heard the thunder. Man you feel the dynamic of the storm. I have always heard storms of this magnitude are uncommon but this storm proved not so. Like the east coast, all the ingredients have to come play together and it did.

Yea even though we obviously didn't get as much ad others, I'd still rate it as a 7. Never seen high winds with snow like that. The hype by the media was crazy too. Some local forecasts were saying the potential for 20 inches +.

What killed us was flake size. Most of the snow was in the form of crushed and fine dendrites. The winds aloft were literally ripping our flakes apart. Thinking that if somehow we would have managed to not have such small flakes we would have been able to pick up 3-5 more inches. I believe we had 4-6 hours of sustained winds at 30+ mph which was so cool. Not far north of metro Detroit (Saginaw / Tri cites ) They were spared of the dry slot and had a longer duration event. Drifts of 4-5 ft were reported in midland with 15-16 inches. Cant forget about the Lightning in that storm either. So cool!

The media hype was justified also. When most of the guidance and general thought was a storm track further east and south we could have very easily been in the 15-20 inch zone like Saginaw. It was that NW tick or "trend" in the last few runs that threw us a curve ball. But needless to say I rank that storm at least 8 out of 10 (just for the fact of the winds). People around here did complain about the "lower" snow totals. But whatever you can't blame these non weather folks for it. I considered that storm like a test run or storm drill for the area. Because one day and (maybe soon because of the 1970s pattern we are in) we will get our 20+ event and it will shock people! Really shock people around here!!

What killed us was flake size. Most of the snow was in the form of crushed and fine dendrites. The winds aloft were literally ripping our flakes apart. Thinking that if somehow we would have managed to not have such small flakes we would have been able to pick up 3-5 more inches. I believe we had 4-6 hours of sustained winds at 30+ mph which was so cool. Not far north of metro Detroit (Saginaw / Tri cites ) They were spared of the dry slot and had a longer duration event. Drifts of 4-5 ft were reported in midland with 15-16 inches. Cant forget about the Lightning in that storm either. So cool!

The media hype was justified also. When most of the guidance and general thought was a storm track further east and south we could have very easily been in the 15-20 inch zone like Saginaw. It was that NW tick or "trend" in the last few runs that threw us a curve ball. But needless to say I rank that storm at least 8 out of 10 (just for the fact of the winds). People around here did complain about the "lower" snow totals. But whatever you can't blame these non weather folks for it. I considered that storm like a test run or storm drill for the area. Because one day and (maybe soon because of the 1970s pattern we are in) we will get our 20+ event and it will shock people! Really shock people around here!!

I'm not convinced that the shattering of those crystals actually did that much damage to the totals, especially since there were TWO separate dendritic growth zones, with the upper one seeding the lower one with shattered dendrites over quite a large area. This mechanism likely resulted in some very efficient overall ice crystal production that offset some of the shattering at/near the surface.

I'm not convinced that the shattering of those crystals actually did that much damage to the totals, especially since there were TWO separate dendritic growth zones, with the upper one seeding the lower one with shattered dendrites over quite a large area. This mechanism likely resulted in some very efficient overall ice crystal production that offset some of the shattering at/near the surface.

Agreed, when it first started in the afternoon some big time flakes were making it to the ground and I wouldn't call the flake size small during the peak of the event.

Agreed, when it first started in the afternoon some big time flakes were making it to the ground and I wouldn't call the flake size small during the peak of the event.

It was not that bad but the I thought Lake Moisture would buff the flakes at night because if you remember the next morning we saw some heavy big LES fakes. C now if were like that during the main sypnotic event, boy we would probably gotten 30-40 inches.

Maybe there, but here in SEMI I distinctly remember the flakes being very small. IIRC DTX's AFD at one point mentioned something about it as well.

It was not that bad but the I thought Lake Moisture would buff the flakes at night because if you remember the next morning we saw some heavy big LES fakes. C now if were like that during the main sypnotic event, boy we would probably gotten 30-40 inches.

no way we were going to get those amounts. 40"?? are you serious?

Hey, the CLTV graphic said so. :snowman:

Ha I remember channel 7 showed a graphic of 38 inches south of Chicago.

Maybe 40 is a bit to high, but I think it could have been possible to see 30+ if the storm was slower and the snow was like the LES band the next morning all evening and night. It started snowing at 230pm and stopped around 3-4am and then there was another 1hr period of heavy LES at 8-9am. Obviously, the heavier/bigger snowflakes would accumulate more on the ground thus higher accumulations and I remember Justin mentioned this during the storm it probably knocked off at least 4-6 inches in some areas.

Man if this weekend/early week system that is stalling over the Great Lakes deepened furthur south and it were December/Jan, this could of been a epic clipper system.

Watch it will happen again this winter but probably not as much.

Maybe 40 is a bit to high, but I think it could have been possible to see 30+ if the storm was slower and the snow was like the LES band the next morning all evening and night. It started snowing at 230pm and stopped around 3-4am and then there was another 1hr period of heavy LES at 8-9am. Obviously, the heavier/bigger snowflakes would accumulate more on the ground thus higher accumulations and I remember Justin mentioned this during the storm it probably knocked off at least 4-6 inches in some areas.

Man if this weekend/early week system that is stalling over the Great Lakes deepened furthur south and it were December/Jan, this could of been a epic clipper system.

Watch it will happen again this winter but probably not as much.

I remember Skilling's FB page getting hit and hit hard from DT slamming Tom regarding him showing that same model run. IIRC, Tom stated on air that he didn't believe it though.

Yes you've said this like 3 times already....is this weatherguru or someone? thought there was someone from Elmwood Park...Alek would remember this.

That's how I remember it. We certainly didn't have parachutes, but I recall it just pouring snowflakes for hours. As if someone just dumped a bag of flour.

I remember the Thursday morning run of the Euro showing a weak SLP along the SE U.S., only for it to come back fast and furious 12Z run. Fri, the GFS really started coming into consensus of a track through the OV. By then it was becoming likely that someone was going to be hit very hard.

As I stated in the 'Off-Topic' thread regarding significant others...

Before the GHD storm, she was warning people left and right at work because I would tell her how bad it was going to be in Central MO. The Monday before she even had an opportunity to bet some doctors how much snow there was going to be as they were going by the weekend forecasters. Sadly, she didn't take advantage of the situation...she would've made a killing that day.:facepalm:

Archived