• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2011 GHD Blizzard images for AMS talk

Thundersnow12

I hear ya and you will make it. Next Skilling is not a bad gig either tho. Like I said you can go anywhere you want and you're already on the in for your dream to come true. No doubt you would have some great weenie forecast discussion reads yr around. Joey can be the next, Skilling, he doesn't have your looks, lol.

Chi storm and T-snow both at LOT laugh.png

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got asked to give our talk at NIU, and guess what? We are giving it on Feb 2nd lol So we are going to add more things to it.

Great job thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'll try to make it out to NIU...I was just there in early December for the Applied Climatology class presentations on the work they did to partner with various companies on weather data. The students did some really good work.

• 1 month later...

This storm was quite a beautiful thing to watch unfold even from afar.

It would have been the largest storm of all time on the East Coast, with the dynamics and incredible forcing, combined with Atlantic moisture inflow.. A few Mets have talked about it also.

Spent another couple hours earlier reading through some of the old GHD threads. Came across this RUC forecast map Chicago Storm posted the morning of the event.

Freakin' epic!!

Man..although I got only 11", these maps are just beautiful! Will we ever see something like this again lol

I remember a bunch of us went out and shot vids the night of the blizzard. I think I shot 3 or 4. This one's the favorite of mine. Towards the end of the vid you can really hear the wind roaring through the trees. Man, all this blizzard talk is really making me look forward to winter now! Snowman.gif

LOL

• 10 months later...

This is an old thread, but it's filled with great images/video of the infamous GHD blizzard.

I spent a few hours stringing together a bunch of radar images to make a 20 hour long radar animation for the DVN radar. At one point later in the loop you can see the gravity waves propagate right through DVN. Around this time is when the 66mph wind gust was recorded at the Clinton Iowa AWOS.

read my mind lol was going to ask if you were going to do LOT. Could you email me that color palette? lol really shows better banding nicely.

For anyone else who is interested in the color palette the layout is as follows...

Units: DBZ

Step: 5

Color: 5 233 232 255

Color: 10 173 186 255

Color: 15 63 64 246

color: 20 203 145 255

color: 25 139 14 250

color: 30 222 0 219

Color: 35 255 128 253

Color: 40 255 251 251

color: 45 68 0 5

ND: 0 0 0

RF: 64 64 64

If you want it in file form let me know, otherwise it's pretty easy to modify an existing file/code if you just input the values encoded above.

Forgot about this one too....a PDS for a WSW.... not exactly an image...but

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

232 PM CST SUN JAN 30 2011

.DISCUSSION...

POTENTIALLY CRIPPLING COMBINATION OF WIND... COLD AND WINTER PRECIP NOW

APPEARS IMMINENT FOR MUCH OF THE AREA MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY. WE

WILL BE ISSUING A PDS VERSION OF THE WSW BY 3 PM WHICH WILL EXPAND

THE WINTER STORM WATCH INTO THE REST OF WCENTRAL/SW OK AND OUR TX

ZONES... UPGRADE CENTRAL AND NCENTRAL OK TO A WINTER STORM WARNING

WHERE CONFIDENCE IS HIGHEST IN THE POTENTIAL FOR MAJOR IMPACTS...

AND ADD A WIND CHILL WATCH FOR NW OK WHERE COMPUTED WIND CHILLS ARE

-15 OR LESS DURING MUCH OF THE PERIOD FROM LATE MON NIGHT INTO WED

MORNING. PARTS OF THE AREA EVENTUALLY COULD NEED AN UPGRADE TO

BLIZZARD WARNING BY TUESDAY MORNING.

CONDITIONS LOOK OKAY FOR THE MOST PART BETWEEN NOW AND LATE

MONDAY... ALTHOUGH PARTS OF N AND CENTRAL OK MAY HAVE TO DEAL WITH A

LITTLE FREEZING DRIZZLE LATER TONIGHT INTO MONDAY. WE WILL HANDLE

THAT WITH AN ADVISORY IF NEEDED. OTHERWISE THE EMPHASIS AT THIS TIME

IS ON GETTING EVERYONE TO TAKE PROPER STEPS NOW BY OBTAINING

NECESSARY PROVISIONS... AND NOT PLANNING ON GOING ANYWHERE FROM LATE

MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY AT SOME

POINT MONDAY NIGHT AS N-NE WINDS INCREASE AND COLD AIR GETS COLDER

AND DEEPER. PRECIP IS FORECAST TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY

00-06Z AND ESPECIALLY 06-12Z MONDAY NIGHT. TRANSITION FROM LIQUID TO

FREEZING TO FROZEN SHOULD BE FAIRLY RAPID GIVEN THE STRONG LOW-LEVEL

COLD ADVECTION... ALTHOUGH SLEET MAY PERSIST INTO TUE MORNING SE

PARTS OF AREA. LIMITED ICE ACCRETION WILL BE OFFSET BY STRONG

WINDS... WHICH MAY BRING DOWN EVEN LIGHTLY-COATED TREES AND POWER

LINES. FOCUS WILL BE LESS ON SNOW/ICE AMOUNTS AND MORE ON THE

POTENTIAL FOR PARALYZING WINTER STORM CONDITIONS DUE TO SNOW AND

BLOWING/DRIFTING ALONG WITH LIFE-THREATENING WIND CHILLS. THAT BEING

SAID... WE CURRENTLY PAINT A BROAD BAND OF 4-8 INCHES CENTERED

ROUGHLY LAWTON-OKC-STILLWATER WITH 2-5 OVER MUCH OF THE REST OF THE

WATCH AREA. GIVEN THE LIKELIHOOD OF SEVERE BLOWING/DRIFTING... WE

MAY NEVER REALLY KNOW. OBVIOUS ANALOG WOULD BE XMAS EVE 2009... AND

FOR SOME AREAS THIS MAY BE AS BAD OR WORSE THAN THAT ONE.

Was a case of the pattern supporting something big and it actually panning out. I know the MI and Toronto area folks felt let down but when you strip away the pre-storm expectations, the end result was still pretty good.

yup...was lucky to be under one of the sweeter spots....but still just a marvel to read how it all came together...reading the analysis and breaking down of the various models was truely an education during the forecasting stages

yup...was lucky to be under one of the sweeter spots....but still just a marvel to read how it all came together...reading the analysis and breaking down of the various models was truely an education during the forecasting stages

The thing about GHD...I think there was a substantial piece of energy left behind in the southwest. Would been interesting if the entire thing came out all at once.

Edit: yep, that's what resulted in that surprise event a few days later that trended way north at the last minute.

The thing about GHD...I think there was a substantial piece of energy left behind in the southwest. Would been interesting if the entire thing came out all at once.

Edit: yep, that's what resulted in that surprise event a few days later that trended way north at the last minute.

I have fun debating this with some. If you go back and look at say the 6z charts for 2/1/11 it looks very close to the Jan/99 storm. In that event, the northern vort moved east and took in the southern wave which cause a much slower motion and why it snowed here for so long in the 99 blizzard. So I don't really know if that situation how you would get both to come out together. I think one or the other has to take over and thrive in the environment. For GHD, it was the southern wave that ejected out over the bacoclinc zone.

• 11 months later...

Archived