• Last Reply

Monthly departures through Septmber 19th. Very similar to August. Near normal:

NYC: -.3

LGA: -.8

JFK: -.8

EWR: +.4

ISP: +1.0

BDR: +1.2

Yeah between the 15th and 19th we had our coolest spell departure-wise since May and that ate away at last weeks warmth. Some impressive cool. Im glad I missed it while in Florida. Now back to the rain and clouds for the foreseeable future.

the weather since the beginning of August has been absolutely dreadful. We have definitely had more cloudy days than sunny days and the weekends have been miserable with clouds even without rain. We had one glorious week after Irene but geez this has been unusually bad. We usually have our best weather of the season in September with deep blue skies and temps in the 70s. If I were a snow weenie which Im not Id be concerned about how wet it has been and I wouldnt want it to last too much longer because patterns flip and it would suck to have a dry winter.

at least long range shows temps staying on the milder side but come on these gloomy clouds are going to be the end of me.:lightning:

the weather since the beginning of August has been absolutely dreadful. We have definitely had more cloudy days than sunny days and the weekends have been miserable with clouds even without rain. We had one glorious week after Irene but geez this has been unusually bad. We usually have our best weather of the season in September with deep blue skies and temps in the 70s. If I were a snow weenie which Im not Id be concerned about how wet it has been and I wouldnt want it to last too much longer because patterns flip and it would suck to have a dry winter.

at least long range shows temps staying on the milder side but come on these gloomy clouds are going to be the end of me.:lightning:

If it makes you feel any better, at the very end of the 06z GFS fantasy run, it shows a big east coast ridge and puts us in a SW flow, it doesn't have much ensemble support though, and is a departure from prior runs.

:lmao:

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 120 BELOW.

It's amazing how long it takes them to fix such an obvious error. Here is my current local forecast

Friday Showers likely with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

I've seen these errors before but not sure how they get in there.

It's amazing how long it takes them to fix such an obvious error. Here is my current local forecast

Friday Showers likely with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

Sheesh now I know what its like to live in Seattle during their rainy season

Thursday: Showers likely. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 77. Calm wind becoming south between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Showers likely, mainly after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday: Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 74. South wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Friday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Monday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Tuesday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Tuesday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wednesday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 71.

That is ridiculous...why does it get colder in south pole than north pole?

No land at the north pole...the south pole is on a continent, not int the middle of an ocean. Land can get cooler than the ocean can.

As for why Vostok is so cold...

• An almost complete lack of moisture in the air.
  • An average windspeed of 5 m/s (18 km/h) (11 mph), sometimes rising to as high as 27 m/s (97 km/h)(60 mph).
  • An acute lack of oxygen because of its high altitude at 3,488 meters (11,444 ft).
  • A higher ionization of the air.
  • A polar night that lasts approximately 130 days, from mid April to late August,[13] including 80 days of civil polar night (a period of total darkness, during which the Sun continuously stays more than 6 degrees below the horizon.

Vostok recorded an unofficial temperature of -132 in 1997, the official coldest temperature on record was -129 at Vostok.

That is ridiculous...why does it get colder in south pole than north pole?

You have the circumpolar current in the southern ocean preventing any heat transport from the lower latitudes to reach the continent. This is addition to the points alpha highlighted.

All of you saunaistas out there,enjoy this warmth and high dewpoints and embrace it because this it it for you guys until next year.Lower dewpoints by the middle and later part of this upcoming week with nice crisp cool weather arriving next weekend.

Didn't people say the mid Sept cool down would be the last time we had high dewpoints and warm temperatures? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the high heat and humidity came back in mid or late October.

Didn't people say the mid Sept cool down would be the last time we had high dewpoints and warm temperatures? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the high heat and humidity came back in mid or late October.

Hmmm not really I think most folks said 70's with a few days around 80 or so. Major Summer heat with sun did end a few weeks ago.

enjoy another day of some summer type weather even with mostly cloudy skies, hopefully the cool shot this weekend is short lived. Im dying for some real sunny weather

If we had any prolonged periods of sun we'd approach 90 but the breaks we are having now look to fade away back to mostly cloudy after 1000.

Archived