Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion V

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I am also new. I've been reading these boards for a while trying to learn more about weather but have a question that I have not seemed to find the answer to. Do the tornadoes that hurricanes produce typically stay along the coastline? I live in central CT (Kensington to be exact). I know there is already a watch for Fairfield Co and that it'll probably spread out here, but do you think there are certain parts of the state that will be more susceptible than others?

This is going to be a long day/night/day. Power naps help.

Not often has this feeling of anticipated widespread damage and destruction with such potential come to fruition.

Watching this unfold is beyond words. This is going to be BAD

Great read, back into stealth mode. Good-luck Ladies and Gents.

Hi! I am also new. I've been reading these boards for a while trying to learn more about weather but have a question that I have not seemed to find the answer to. Do the tornadoes that hurricanes produce typically stay along the coastline? I live in central CT (Kensington to be exact). I know there is already a watch for Fairfield Co and that it'll probably spread out here, but do you think there are certain parts of the state that will be more susceptible than others?

The right front quad is usually the prime spot, but that is not all true tonight. Our cooler waters might temper the threat but tremendous shear tonight so it's possible. Welcome please post more especially snow totals, LOL

Welcome!

A track like that would definitely make for some very strong winds across your area...could see winds of 55-75 mph with gusts possibly up to 80-85 mph...possibly a bit less though depending on whether Irene weakens further. Still though wind damage should be expected given how saturated the ground is and with the duration of the strong winds incoming.

Thanks! I think this is the first time I will have been on the eastern side of a storm. I was 8 years old for Gloria here in Groton, and 14 for Bob. I always thought Bob was kind of a dud here. Gloria is etched in my mind. I'm expecting something in-between. Hope you all have a great night, and a better day tomorrow!

000WTNT44 KNHC 280257TCDAT4HURRICANE IRENE DISCUSSION NUMBER 31NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL0920111100 PM EDT SAT AUG 27 2011IRENE HAS CHANGED LITTLE IN APPEARANCE IN SATELLITE IMAGERY...BUTTHE RADAR DEPICTION HAS DEGRADED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS. AN AIRFORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING THE HURRICANE THISEVENING HAS FOUND 700 MB FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 92 KT AND SFMR WINDSOF 66 KT IN A SMALL AREA MORE THAN 100 NMI EAST OF THE CENTER.BASED ON THIS INFORMATION...THE INTENSITY OF IRENE IS BEINGMAINTAINED AT 70 KT FOR THIS ADVISORY. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THEWIND FIELD GRAPHICS BASED ON THE FOUR-QUADRANT RADII WILL DEPICT ANUNREALISTICALLY LARGE AREA OF HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS.THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS NOW 020/14...AND IRENE REMAINS ONTRACK. IRENE IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING NORTH-NORTHEASTWARDAHEAD OF AN EASTWARD-MOVING SHORTWAVE TROUGH...AND SKIRT THEMID-ATLANTIC COAST TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...AND MOVE OVERNEW ENGLAND BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AFTER IRENE BECOMES APOST-TROPICAL/EXTRATROPICAL LOW BY 36 HOURS...THE CYCLONE SHOULDGRADUALLY TURN NORTHEASTWARD THEN EAST-NORTHEASTWARD AS IT MOVESINTO THE DEEP-LAYER MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES. THE FORECAST TRACK ISJUST AN EXTENSION OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND REMAINS IN THEMIDDLE OF THE TIGHTLY PACKED NHC MODEL GUIDANCE.IRENE WILL BE MOVING OVER PROGRESSIVELY COOLER WATER UNTIL LANDFALLOCCURS ON LONG ISLAND...WHICH WOULD NORMALLY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANTWEAKENING OF MOST HURRICANES. HOWEVER...DUE TO THE UNUSUALLY LARGEWIND FIELD OF IRENE...ONLY SLOW WEAKENING IS EXPECTED THROUGHOUTTHE FORECAST PERIOD...AND IT WILL ONLY TAKE MODEST CONVECTION TOBRING DOWN STRONGER WINDS ALOFT TO THE SURFACE AS SUSTAINEDHURRICANE-FORCE WINDS OR GUSTS.MORE SO THAN WITH MOST STORMS...THE WINDS WITH IRENE INCREASESHARPLY WITH HEIGHT ABOVE THE SURFACE. AS IRENE MOVES THROUGHAREAS WITH HIGH-RISE STRUCTURES...THESE BUILDINGS COULD EXPERIENCEWINDS SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THE SURFACE WINDS. WINDS AT THE30-STORY LEVEL WILL LIKELY BE 20 PERCENT HIGHER THAN AT THESURFACE...AND WINDS 80-100 STORIES UP COULD BE ABOUT 30 PERCENTHIGHER THAN AT THE SURFACE.FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT 28/0300Z 37.3N 75.4W 70 KT 80 MPH 12H 28/1200Z 39.8N 74.1W 65 KT 75 MPH 24H 29/0000Z 44.0N 71.8W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND 36H 29/1200Z 48.5N 67.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 48H 30/0000Z 52.4N 62.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 72H 31/0000Z 57.7N 48.6W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 96H 01/0000Z 60.0N 33.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP120H 02/0000Z 61.2N 24.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP$$FORECASTER STEWART

Thanks! I think this is the first time I will have been on the eastern side of a storm. I was 8 years old for Gloria here in Groton, and 14 for Bob. I always thought Bob was kind of a dud here. Gloria is etched in my mind. I'm expecting something in-between. Hope you all have a great night, and a better day tomorrow!

I'm pretty excited to get to experience something like this, I was not even 3 years old yet when Bob hit so I have no relocation of it at all. Being on the east side of the track should make things interesting here, especially wind wise but the wind fields are so unusually large with this even on the west side they should get some really decent winds.

we are about the same age, and live in the same area...my thoughts, exactly...this will not be a Gloria (the way she affected out area) might be a little better than Bob (the way he affected our area) but maybe not better than him either...

000WTNT44 KNHC 280257TCDAT4HURRICANE IRENE DISCUSSION NUMBER 31NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL0920111100 PM EDT SAT AUG 27 2011IRENE HAS CHANGED LITTLE IN APPEARANCE IN SATELLITE IMAGERY...BUTTHE RADAR DEPICTION HAS DEGRADED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS. AN AIRFORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING THE HURRICANE THISEVENING HAS FOUND 700 MB FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 92 KT AND SFMR WINDSOF 66 KT IN A SMALL AREA MORE THAN 100 NMI EAST OF THE CENTER.BASED ON THIS INFORMATION...THE INTENSITY OF IRENE IS BEINGMAINTAINED AT 70 KT FOR THIS ADVISORY. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THEWIND FIELD GRAPHICS BASED ON THE FOUR-QUADRANT RADII WILL DEPICT ANUNREALISTICALLY LARGE AREA OF HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS.THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS NOW 020/14...AND IRENE REMAINS ONTRACK. IRENE IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING NORTH-NORTHEASTWARDAHEAD OF AN EASTWARD-MOVING SHORTWAVE TROUGH...AND SKIRT THEMID-ATLANTIC COAST TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...AND MOVE OVERNEW ENGLAND BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AFTER IRENE BECOMES APOST-TROPICAL/EXTRATROPICAL LOW BY 36 HOURS...THE CYCLONE SHOULDGRADUALLY TURN NORTHEASTWARD THEN EAST-NORTHEASTWARD AS IT MOVESINTO THE DEEP-LAYER MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES. THE FORECAST TRACK ISJUST AN EXTENSION OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND REMAINS IN THEMIDDLE OF THE TIGHTLY PACKED NHC MODEL GUIDANCE.IRENE WILL BE MOVING OVER PROGRESSIVELY COOLER WATER UNTIL LANDFALLOCCURS ON LONG ISLAND...WHICH WOULD NORMALLY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANTWEAKENING OF MOST HURRICANES. HOWEVER...DUE TO THE UNUSUALLY LARGEWIND FIELD OF IRENE...ONLY SLOW WEAKENING IS EXPECTED THROUGHOUTTHE FORECAST PERIOD...AND IT WILL ONLY TAKE MODEST CONVECTION TOBRING DOWN STRONGER WINDS ALOFT TO THE SURFACE AS SUSTAINEDHURRICANE-FORCE WINDS OR GUSTS.MORE SO THAN WITH MOST STORMS...THE WINDS WITH IRENE INCREASESHARPLY WITH HEIGHT ABOVE THE SURFACE. AS IRENE MOVES THROUGHAREAS WITH HIGH-RISE STRUCTURES...THESE BUILDINGS COULD EXPERIENCEWINDS SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THE SURFACE WINDS. WINDS AT THE30-STORY LEVEL WILL LIKELY BE 20 PERCENT HIGHER THAN AT THESURFACE...AND WINDS 80-100 STORIES UP COULD BE ABOUT 30 PERCENTHIGHER THAN AT THE SURFACE.FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT 28/0300Z 37.3N 75.4W 70 KT 80 MPH 12H 28/1200Z 39.8N 74.1W 65 KT 75 MPH 24H 29/0000Z 44.0N 71.8W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND 36H 29/1200Z 48.5N 67.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 48H 30/0000Z 52.4N 62.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 72H 31/0000Z 57.7N 48.6W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 96H 01/0000Z 60.0N 33.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP120H 02/0000Z 61.2N 24.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP$FORECASTER STEWART

Wow!

We've been speculating exactly that idea on this board...

So much energy converted into a large storm rather than a focused intense eye. This quality made it struggle to reach higher category, but now given it lots of "inertia".

I don't have the science to back this up, but seems like the idea is proving true.

The buoy 44009 just SE of Cape May, NJ reports a water temp of 69.6 about an hour ago, compared to about 77 at 8AM this morning. Since air temps have been fairly constant between 75-77, can we attribute this quick sea water drop to the churning effect of Irene stirring up the cooler waters below the surface? Will that have any effect in reducing the strength as it approaches that area? Also, with winds from the E, does that indicate Irene will pass either over that buoy or just to the east? I would think that winds would be out of the SE if it was going to pass to the west.

http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=44009

I'm pretty excited to get to experience something like this, I was not even 3 years old yet when Bob hit so I have no recollection of it at all. Being on the east side of the track should make things interesting here, especially wind wise but the wind fields are so unusually large with this even on the west side they should get some really decent winds.

Fixed ;)

Barometric pressure is misleading when it comes to the large storms because the pressure gradient is spread out over a much larger area. Gotta look at the winds, since that's all that really matters at this point.

There's some misleading info then being put out by Knabb. He just said that baro pressure is more important for large storms because it means the wind field is spread out over a larger area, thus more damage because it causes a higher surge. Bill Reid (hope I spelled his name right) even said that the SS scale needs to be thrown out for storms like this and compared it to Ike.

between 10-11pm:

3 tornadoes and damage around southern NJ and Philly western (yes, western) suburbs over 50 miles from NJ coast

SnowNH...we have a 70kt 'cane hauling azz towards LI. Calm the f*ck down...we're getting nailed.

I take it you had some beers at the sox game. I guess we'd want it to go more west now to try and combine the jet and the winds of the storm.

Archived