Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene Model and Forecast Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of this is going to be regional subforum material if we are talking about spots of landfall with each model run.

Well, I assume we can still talk about generalities here-- like how slow this might actually be moving. I hope we aren't talking about Edouard speeds.

Cilmatology strongly favors a fade to brush Hatteras keeping the damaging weather offshore. For those of us that know our Old North State climatology well, in the absence of a defined inland conveyor belt (ie: Hugo, Fran), the fade to brush Hatteras is almost always something you can count on,

In between the techno happy hardcore club music bumps on the weather channel, Norcross and Cantore discussed that weird zig zag about an hour and a half ago...explaining it could hit eastern nc/va then hook nnw and hit 95. Actually that was one of the best discussions I caught on there in quite some time. So it's being talked about....

Well, I assume we can still talk about generalities here-- like how slow this might actually be moving. I hope we aren't talking about Edouard speeds.

Models have been consistent on the slow speed so even if it takes a "perfect" track for one local in the Northeast, it will not be more than a cat 1 hurricane I wouldn't think, but this far out a lot can change. Models will also tend to underestimate the forward speed at those latitude and also under estimate its right "hook" ability. These things don't really become important though until we're probably at least 3 days out or even closer. But the lack of a deep trough to the west of it suggests the slower speed is something that would verify regardless if its slightly too slow or west.

I'm on the fence with with that. Yes, slow speed is bad for this sort of scenario, but ..this is the absolute apex of shelf water heat content - 75+F mean. If you're going to move a system at 20mph N of Cape H, that's not really "cold" water exactly. Near the tail end of 2005's epic season, we had TC nearing hurricane strength out in the Atlantic over 75F waters - the upper air in this case is phenomenal up the coast and am wondering if this is an off-set and is helping these runs stay so robust.

Most of this is going to be regional subforum material if we are talking about spots of landfall with each model run.

talking more about the analog storms up there.. especially when other decent models still have it coming in sc/nc then inland up the coast and you guys are still well outside the 5 day cone.

Cilmatology strongly favors a fade to brush Hatteras keeping the damaging weather offshore. For those of us that know our Old North State climatology well, in the absence of a defined inland conveyor belt (ie: Hugo, Fran), the fade to brush Hatteras is almost always something you can count on,

Yes

And moving at slower than Belle speeds.

Yeah, for that latitude, it's moving crazy slow. It would not be a strong system by the time it got to NY/New England. Cyclones need to blast up the coast at over 40 kt to really hit the Northeast hard. Gloria was moving at almost 40 kt and still fell apart before hitting Long Island.

As I mentioned in the New England forum, the MAIN point here is that the westerlies are at an anomalously high latitude. So Irene can meander further up the coast. This is also related to a pattern change in the next couple days from a -NAO Greenland block to a North Atlantic ridge.

Irene will take the path of least resistance ... which will be north / northwest toward the weakness in the ridge, BUT it stays south of the westerlies, so it can continue northward unimpeded.

:huh:

Which model? Show me the panel.

This isn't hard. A storm that spends most of its time offshore and only landfalls on barrier islands is pretty much a fish. The trend is also pretty clear. It's not going to go any further west and will likely trend even further east before all is said and done. Do you really think it's going to do anything other than brush the NC outer banks and Cape Cod?

Uhh, nearly all of them. Well, how about a "brush" instead of a "fish". I don't consider breezing by the Outer Banks to be a big deal. Sure, some heavy rains to the NW, but the winds and interesting stuff will be confined to a small, mostly island-y area.

Its not like it brushes the US it pretty much demolishes most of the outer banks, and then you have the high res hwrf which has come back west, wait til tomorrow to start freaking out. I'm supposed to be on the outerbanks on saturday and we might lose the whole vacation, so hopefully it goes west and still has 110 mph winds for you and the inland NC, you still are dealing with average track deviations of 150-200 miles at 4 days out.

This isn't hard. A storm that spends most of its time offshore and only landfalls on barrier islands is pretty much a fish. The trend is also pretty clear. It's not going to go any further west and will likely trend even further east before all is said and done. Do you really think it's going to do anything other than brush the NC outer banks and Cape Cod?

I think a good guide for this is to just look at Hurricane Earl's track and adjust it further SW even though the synoptic setups may be different.

741px-Earl_2010_track.png

Archived