• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene Model and Forecast Discussion

GFS ensemble mean- east of Hatteras by a fair amount with every member east of the Op at 120, then it brushes Cape Cod. If the new Euro is east, well....

No surprise here. Even worse at at properly maintaining Western Atlantic ridging than the operational GFS, a bias which we have seen time and time again with winter storms. My rule of thumb is that if the operational GFS lies to the western side of the ensemble spread, the op GFS or an op GFS/ECMWF blend is the way to go. Am also remembering how well a GFS/ECMWF blend did with post-tropical Noel a couple of years back.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this fishes, it will be one of the most spectacular burns in Eastern/AmWx history. :lol:

I can't recall another fish that seemed so hardwired for USA landfall, based on days and days of runs from such a diverse suite of models.

I'm remembering Kyle from a couple of seasons ago that was supposed to keep on heading NNW toward Long Island per the majority of model guidance, only to hit Maine/Nova Scotia.

No surprise here. Even worse at at properly maintaining Western Atlantic ridging than the operational GFS, a bias which we have seen time and time again with winter storms. My rule of thumb is that if the operational GFS lies to the western side of the ensemble spread, the op GFS or an op GFS/ECMWF blend is the way to go. Am also remembering how well a GFS/ECMWF blend did with post-tropical Noel a couple of years back.

That also brings back memories of the Boxing Day Blizzard.

I think a couple of points need to be said:

1) 72 hours before Hurricane Katrina made landfall in Louisiana, New Orleans wasn't even in the forecast cone.

2) I see this on TV: 'Model consensus says the hurricane will be near such and such...' Model consensus does not equal model accuracy as the consensus is subject to wild shifts. Remember a couple of days before Hurricane Ike made landfall, the consensus was near Port Lavaca, well landfall was nowhere near Port Lavaca. Hence my recent screed, rant, etc. about public hurricane forecasts beyond 72 hours.

Heh heh...I think Ike was also originally either an Atlantic fish storm or minor EC threat per the models.

GFS ensemble mean definitely has an E bias in most scenarios for coastal systems gaining latitude so I agree. These aren't the exact same scenarios as winter, but a general theme is still correct. The only issue is that right now, we are beyond very useful skill level for either. So it could be 200+ miles either way.

Another stat I remind people on when trying to forecast tracks of TCs, is that models have a much better score for mid-latitude cyclones in winter than TCs....and we all know how ugly those forecasts can be at this time range in winter.

Still pretty bullish solution by the Euro for SE landfall. Its definitely holding the ATL ridge better even if its not quite as hard as the 12z run. Something to consider. 120 hours out is still an eternity though, but it definitely beats models like the GFS/GGEM at this time frame.

Do any of the pro mets-- or knowledgeable amateurs-- care to compare the Euro and the GFS, and which one seems to have a better, more realistic handle on this particular setup?

(As I think about it, I realize that, in the grand scheme of things, they're in relatively good agreement Re: landfall location-- especially for 5 days out.)

OK, I feel a bit reassured by the Euro, A fish is still a possibility, but we are still in the game (of course we really should not be wishing for landfall, the HWRF intensity is scary)...

Me, too. I felt like I was on the edge of the abyss after that GFS run. I'm still not thrilled with the day's trends-- yes, I said it-- but this Euro run is definitely helpful.

Its lack of recurve is a bit bizarre compared to other guidance.

Is "bizzare" the right word to use? Given the synoptical setup it progs, the cutting of the trough, it makes sense, at least to the naked eye and simple mind. Also seems to fit in a bit better with the increased ridging in both models....GFS weakens the ridging/gives it less weight after awhile, which fits into what we'd expect in it being east of the ECMWF. If I remember correctly the GFS corrected back westward with Earl following the ECMWF so maybe it is onto something.

I admit I am biased to a landfall but am trying to be objective.

Archived