• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene Banter Thread

There are a few things you should know about this site, which remains in perpetual beta testing...

While this site attempts to provide or link you to the latest data, please understand that it may not always be the latest information. Even the date of a product can be wrong. The only place you can find reliable information is from the National Hurricane Center.

Do not assume that because we present one site before another that we are implying that one site has better information than another. The owner of this site is not a weather professional and cannot make that determination. Many of the sites we link you to are products that are used by weather professionals. This means that most of the products are not designed to be disseminated to the public. Do not consider them as official products.

For all official Atlantic hurricane information, refer to the National Hurricane Center.

DO NOT RELY ON ANY UNOFFICIAL SOURCES IN LIFE OR DEATH DECISIONS.

By using this site, you agree that we are in no way responsible for the decisions you make based on the information you find on this site and the sites we link you to. If you do not agree to this, you cannot use this site.

Understood...

then should all members in this forum be informed before using

any data from the site???

or do they need a personal forecast disclaimer???

his recon info is posted daily in the forums

I guess Kush's vibe is the official vibe of Amercianwx forums

apologize for stopping by

tom e

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did i really just wake up with the NHC predicting Irene to hit SC as a major? what happened ovrenight?

they went ahead and made that predicition specifically to mess with your head when you woke up..

I get the vibe on here

that some mets are offended by amateurs that have a skill level equal to their own arrowheadsmiley.png

without their terminology for every aspect of this system

todays trends

west ...

land interaction and lack of anti-cyclone above should keep things in check

thats all I got

:lol:

You're not alone, I always root against a major making landfall. Besides the obvious deaths, injuries, and loss of homes, the last thing our struggling economy needs is significant wealth destruction (the argument that rebuilding provides an economic boost is bunk, it does so locally but is still a net drain of wealth.)

we'll have someone send a telegram to Irene so she knows to avoid the US because of our economy.. that ought to make her re-think things and recurve..

instead of making preparations, everyone should sit around and root again landfall..

hotdog.gif reply in main thread got deleted.. New Orleans/Katrina is unique and this is a poor comparison.

You clearly do not understand Charleston geography. A significant portion of downtown is below sea level and there's a bowl effect, just like with New Orleans.

In other words, dont pipe up if you dont understand what you're talking about, hoss.

one of the regulars should post a contest for US landfall and strength.

My initial blog for this system:

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/blog/ (updated throughout the day, and the chase).

Can we get everyone out of Myrtle Beach, let Irene hit as a cat 4 and just wipe the place out?

I will go with this if it must hit some populated area-can't stand Myrtle Beach. Otherwise, my wishcast is for a Hugo path-in between Charleston and Myrtle Beach with the worst impact(surge).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-ok, so how is this storm going to impact Haiti, particularly earthquake areas, if at all, given it is hugging the north coast of Hispianola and all-will those areas in southern Haiti escape heavy rain, etc? What about that one flood prone city in Northern Haiti..Gonaives is it? Thanks.

they went ahead and made that predicition specifically to mess with your head when you woke up..

:lol:

we'll have someone send a telegram to Irene so she knows to avoid the US because of our economy.. that ought to make her re-think things and recurve..

instead of making preparations, everyone should sit around and root again landfall..

Aims :lmao::hug: You tell them weenies , girl!!

I will go with this if it must hit some populated area-can't stand Myrtle Beach. Otherwise, my wishcast is for a Hugo path-in between Charleston and Myrtle Beach with the worst impact(surge).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-ok, so how is this storm going to impact Haiti, particularly earthquake areas, if at all, given it is hugging the north coast of Hispianola and all-will those areas in southern Haiti escape heavy rain, etc? What about that one flood prone city in Northern Haiti..Gonaives is it? Thanks.

I wish more people from Ohio thought that.

I wish more people from Ohio thought that.

Amen! I was just back home in Pawleys Island for two weeks and the Yankees have almost completely taken over the Grand Strand. One alarming observation was the erosion on Litchfield and Pawleys beaches, very good dune system in Litchfield, not as extensive in Pawleys but any prolonged southerly or se wind would really hurt the dunes there, cant speak for Myrtle dont venture up that way but from past experience the Dune system up that way is minimal at best along the heavily built up stretches. Seriously considering heading back down to chase this, and help out with my Mom if this does threaten, lets hope it does not.

Two weeks ago when j finished my amazing steak at the sea captains house at our hotel, I thought to myself it would

Be a shame to lose

This place. The Caribbean resort is my august vacation spot four years in a roe now. Love Myrtle beach. But seriously there's no beach left and the dunes in that section are a joke. I did catch on video a manatee in the surf a few weeks ago that made

The local news that night:)

Pro mets:

Would you consider Irene possibly a bit slower and more left than current guidance, could result perhaps in a catastrophic lower SC/GA hit?

I'm wondering if it could be left behind to drift for days...and maybe even wobble wsw? towards that area...

Or also, perhaps a stronger trough #2 or more likely #3 than modeled, which could result in either (1)perhaps a more of a "slingshot" effect to partially phase it in a similar fashion as Hurricane Carol in 1954;

or perhaps Connie/Diane 1955, if s/w #2 is domininant but not quite enough to absorb, and a landfalling remnant across the M/A gets left behind !

Pro mets:

Would you consider Irene possibly a bit slower and more left than current guidance, could result perhaps in a catastrophic lower SC/GA hit?

I'm wondering if it could be left behind to drift for days...and maybe even wobble wsw? towards that area...

Or also, perhaps a stronger trough #2 or more likely #3 than modeled, which could result in either (1)perhaps a more of a "slingshot" effect to partially phase it in a similar fashion as Hurricane Carol in 1954;

or perhaps Connie/Diane 1955, if s/w #2 is domininant but not quite enough to absorb, and a landfalling remnant across the M/A gets left behind !

The first point I think is a definite possibility in my opinion... it would only require a slightly stronger ridge to be in place, which is sometimes the model bias in this time frame.

You clearly do not understand Charleston geography. A significant portion of downtown is below sea level and there's a bowl effect, just like with New Orleans.

In other words, dont pipe up if you dont understand what you're talking about, hoss.

I understand Charleston's geography just fine. I don't deny that the right storm would put it underwater.

Let's get this thing on track and more intense before it's the next Katrina or 1938 or whatever. Posting about surge at a single point on a 5 day map is :weenie: in my book

Pretty bad when even a banter thread needs moderation. Maybe we need a garbage thread too? I am not going to post in the main thread, but wouldn't mind asking and reading questions here. If it continues to devolve though, we might as well hit the lights and lock the door behind us on this thread...

Talkin about a potential hit on the only source of revenue Myrtle beach has...tourism...is legit...with a progged cat 3 storm nearby in a few days...the southerners hatin on us Yankees though is lol material.

Banter:

Noun: The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.Verb: Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way:

I guess I misunderstoon the meaning of/reason for this thread then. Sorry.

Archived