• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene Banter Thread

Sounds like a good idea, I'm gonna go over to Jeff Masters' blog and start posting there instead, in addition to this banter thread. Of course I'll still lurk in the main thread, but I guess they really don't want the opinions of anybody less than a very experienced amateur.
Pretty much.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good idea, I'm gonna go over to Jeff Masters' blog and start posting there instead, in addition to this banter thread. Of course I'll still lurk in the main thread, but I guess they really don't want the opinions of anybody less than a very experienced amateur.

There's many knowledgeable people who lurk the main thread but don't post... I for one don't feel the need do write a couple of sentences and post an image of the 18z GFS when I know that I'll get a much better analysis from even more knowledgeable people when the big picture has been established.

Why are you getting all upset about the moderation in the main thread? I'm sure you made good points, and it felt like you added value, but consider it from the perspective of a panel type discussion. If you just let random voices from the crowd shout things out at will, the discussion would become less constructive, no? I think the mods are just clearing the clutter to keep the discussion focused and coherent.

My point is don't "take your toys and go home", have some discussion here and read and learn from the main thread. Is that so bad?

P.S, Having said all this, there were red taggers that bailed completely when the 12z gfs came out, so I do see your point in some regard...

Scary prospects for the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays in looking at the 18z gfs op...

What you Guys think the impact will be in Maine If any ? I'm leaving North Carolina Saturday morning headed for Topsfield Maine, Going to be Bear hunting next week DON'T need RAIN... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Should note that Topsfield Maine is pretty far from everywhere, far eastern inland...

Per the Euro best rain chance is Sunday overnight into Monday.. Gives me > 2" here in NH, but Bar Harbor and Houlton under 1" so at least right now doesn't appear to be a total disaster for that region. I wouldn't rule out a tropical impact up there, but I wouldn't worry enough to plan around it yet. I'd be more concerned about getting out of NC if you're anywhere near the coast. I'm sure things will change, so unless you have a hard deadline or something it's not worth worrying about too much yet.

Earl was a massive bust here, the wind gusts barely reached tropical storm force and Earl's inner-core disintegrated when it passed the Outer Banks. Your footage shows pretty good wave and swell action though.

That was only a Category 1 hurricane when it passed east of New Jersey, expecting alot more from Irene in terms of impacts.

I dont recall Earl being forecasted to make landfall in Jersey.. Tell us how it busted :popcorn:

Just wondering what I may experience here just north of daytona .If Irene is a major hurricane and is 50-100 miles to my east will the east coast of florida still experience tropical storm conditions? just moved here from connecticut and the only hurricane I went through was gloria in 85 and was grazed by bob in 91.

NHC has a cool page that shows the wind field radii.. you should check that out some time.. avoids future disappointments..

Well, yeah. The left-side of tropical cyclones always underperform unless there is some kind of topographic enhancement. Shouldn't you be busy buying bread & milk?

:lol:

Just wondering what I may experience here just north of daytona .If Irene is a major hurricane and is 50-100 miles to my east will the east coast of florida still experience tropical storm conditions? just moved here from connecticut and the only hurricane I went through was gloria in 85 and was grazed by bob in 91.

You should have a stellar hurricane preparedness supply just in case.. and extra TP..

I wouldn't sweat it or expect anything much..

the trees and houses there do not fail at low wind speeds and the storm (as forecast) is a long way away with you on the weak side

it's nothing like bob and gloria up in ne with the tree, power, and structural wind damage during a tropical storm. In FL it's more about flooding until the wind gets a little higher.

your only chance is getting it much closer than the official or ideally (if you like destruction) to your left

Well, yeah. The left-side of tropical cyclones always underperform unless there is some kind of topographic enhancement. Shouldn't you be busy buying bread & milk?

:lmao: I'm like s boy scout, dude! Always prepared..

Shouldnt you be making sure mom's basement is ready for all that storm surge you're expecting?

Should note that Topsfield Maine is pretty far from everywhere, far eastern inland...

Per the Euro best rain chance is Sunday overnight into Monday.. Gives me > 2" here in NH, but Bar Harbor and Houlton under 1" so at least right now doesn't appear to be a total disaster for that region. I wouldn't rule out a tropical impact up there, but I wouldn't worry enough to plan around it yet. I'd be more concerned about getting out of NC if you're anywhere near the coast. I'm sure things will change, so unless you have a hard deadline or something it's not worth worrying about too much yet.

I'm in nw nc near Va. border. I plan on leaving around 9am Saturday, So hope I can be ahead of the storm coming up Saturday? We plan on stopping by Cabela's in Hamburg Pa. Saturday evening then on to Maine Saturday night...

Thanks, for the info

To give the scientific explanation: You've got land friction and the TC storm motion negating the effects of the winds in the left side. Storm motion negates some of the wind (if the storm is moving at 10 mph the left side will effectively have 10 mph weaker winds) and land friction can reduce wind speeds dramatically.

To give the scientific explanation: You've got land friction and the TC storm motion negating the effects of the winds in the left side. Storm motion negates some of the wind (if the storm is moving at 10 mph the left side will effectively have 10 mph weaker winds) and land friction can reduce wind speeds dramatically.

<3 Ellinwood.

Archived