wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you saw a snowstorm for Atlanta, GA on a few day 7 models, what would you think...

That is how anomalous this occurrence would be.

Pretty much. The pattern is favorable for a potential turn up the coast, but its still in the time range where its laughable to get into specifics.

Yes, but...even a 3% chance is about 2.99 higher than the usual in this part of the world.

True, but it doesn't mean we should go crazy about it. A 3% chances is still a 3% chance.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of a pretty deep trough which is what we see most of the time when a storm makes landfall here.

If memory serves me correct, Edouard kind of banged a right when it touched Nantucket and headed out to sea, I was in Chatham and we barely got hurricane force gusts. Noel more or less snuck up on the cape with some decent southerly winds.

I was on my boat in Nantucket Harbor with 100mph gusts on my Davis. All from the NE.

I wouldn't say it snuck up on us either. It was pretty well progged to do what it did. Perhaps a bit stronger than forecast.

True, but it doesn't mean we should go crazy about it. A 3% chances is still a 3% chance.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of a pretty deep trough which is what we see most of the time when a storm makes landfall here.

Yeah I don't really see the fuss right now until we see a solid trough digging west of us in the Great Lakes. Without that it's going to be really tough (though not impossible) to get something up here.

So what exactly are the models picking up on that bring it up here? If the conditions aren't right, what are the models seeing?

My understanding ( limited understanding) is at this time we are not seeing the pattern that would bring Irene as a land fall, it may brush us as a lot of storms do in sne. Also what will Irene be when it is in our neck of the woods, a hurricane, ts, a left over strung out mess? At the moment this could just mean we will see lots of rain on Sunday ish time frame. As the local met on WLNE just said, we may see something from Irene, so keep an eye on the forcast.

Fish storm FTW. This thing is trending east and fast. Let's all just sit on a beach and wave at her as she passes us by. Georgia to the Cape in a day. Goodnight Irene.

LOL its the gfs.. it's 7 days out.. relax.. if it went from GA to cape in a day it can go from cape to Gulf in 2 days

Archived