• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

It's really an odd setup. Trough over us right now beat down the ridge enough to turn Irene north enough to avoid being a Caribbean Cruiser.

Ridge builds back in and shifts Irene a bit westward... skirting Hispaniola and keeping a relatively "low" latitude.

Next trough comes in... bulldozes through the ridge enough to create a weakness and spare Florida. The trough is progressive enough to essentially miss Irene and let the ridge build back in and let Irene threaten somewhere in the SE from JAX to HSE.

It may not be until the 3rd trough gets resolved that we realize what (if any) impacts we'll have here in SNE.

It certainly isn't (right now) looking like a classic setup but the sample size for SNE hurricanes is small so there are certainly exceptions to the rules.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bunch of Met sites have model "trends" on them, do not know what it means but when a model starts pushing East early, rarely do the runs reverse late.

I would have to agree and I was taught in school that models do trend & to use them. Then again, the models we used are long gone - the NGM & the LFM. I don't think this behavior is useful at this range though and I would agree that it's most likely initialization that keys the trend at this range. However, closer in a model will trend one way of another to hone in on the "correct" or accurate solution. Watching that "trend" can glean what the eventual track would be, imho. I have a run-to-run comparison on my personal site that is helpful in that regard and I've used it many times with sucess. Then again, I don't have to earn a living from forecasting!

The over all "trend" has been a push east in the past 48 hours and I think that is reflective of the lack of supporting features as some of the pros have pointed out as needed for a track favorable to us.

What is the mechanism that is slowing this thing down right now on the Euro? Weakness between the exiting trough and building ridge? I don't have access to the maps.

It's really the lack of a mechanism. The troughs dig enough to weaken the ridge and create a weakness to bring the storm north but they are nowhere close to picking Irene up and shooting her NE. This solution would be catastrophic for the Carolinas in terms of flooding and wind potential.

It seems unlikely it would move/crawl that slowly...You have to figure that 2nd trough would be enough to pick it up

Most of the models are actually showing something like this. The first trough drew the storm north today. The second does it to avoid MIA. And then the third is just a jumbled mess of shortwaves well west.

What's interesting is what's happening over the west Atlantic... the ridge keeps building up essentially blocking the exit.

It's a funky pattern for sure.

It's really the lack of a mechanism. The troughs dig enough to weaken the ridge and create a weakness to bring the storm north but they are nowhere close to picking Irene up and shooting her NE. This solution would be catastrophic for the Carolinas in terms of flooding and wind potential.

Tkx. I would have to imagine at this point, the thing would eventually shoot E with the building ridge N of it. Looking at the 144h maps.

My only two cents would be that it seems a bit petty to compare this to a SNE landfall anomaly with the sample size as small as it is. Skepticism is warranted, but with the few opportunities the region has certainly worthy of the interest it's receiving.

Yeah I posted something similar to this an hour or two ago. The sample size for SNE storms is small so there are going to be outliers (look at Esther, for example). Whether we can actually get an Edouard type system to crawl up the coast and bring a hurricane to most of SNE is unclear. Belle almost did it... but was never really strong enough.

Most of the models are actually showing something like this. The first trough drew the storm north today. The second does it to avoid MIA. And then the third is just a jumbled mess of shortwaves well west.

What's interesting is what's happening over the west Atlantic... the ridge keeps building up essentially blocking the exit.

It's a funky pattern for sure.

Yeah it's a convoluted mess..Just another solution from the Euro..but more importantly.still showing a US landfall..and keeping us in the mix. This will provide us some fun times the next 4-5 days until we can get a better idea where it's gonna end up. I just have a hard time believing it moves that slowly . Once they get that far north they tend to feel the westerlies at least to some degree

Yeah I posted something similar to this an hour or two ago. The sample size for SNE storms is small so there are going to be outliers (look at Esther, for example). Whether we can actually get an Edouard type system to crawl up the coast and bring a hurricane to most of SNE is unclear. Belle almost did it... but was never really strong enough.

Yeah at the end of the day it's just exciting to see the first (potential) major hurricane threat to east coast since Isabel.

If anything I think we have to like the Euro going west..because they ultimately translate east the final few runs before the storm...plus if it went west..we'd still have some decent southeast winds I could care less about rain. I want wind

Euro verbatim is nothing special for us. I think if you want winds you want this thing to rocket north with some kind of mega-phase to our southwest. If it's crawling ashore in the Carolinas it's going to weaken very fast and there's not really much baroclinic enhancement (like a Hazel) as the thing moves north.

Archived