wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL its the gfs.. it's 7 days out.. relax.. if it went from GA to cape in a day it can go from cape to Gulf in 2 days

O i know. Just pointing out the trend in the models. As one of my colleagues pointed out the high in the North Atlantic is there on the gfs.....just missing the GL trough. This run is fun to look at though.

Yeah I hear ya. We'll see how it goes...upper levels clearly not settled yet. This is why it was funny to see people claiming a FL hit was nearly a sure bet.

i just worry that once these things go east they often dont come back. you got a bit more wiggle room for now. could go west too i suppose. it is funny to watch the "certaintly it wont do that" stuff only to have to changed 12 hrs later.

There are alot of reasons to believe this won't miss the United States, alot more than those supporting a fish. The fact that it doesn't start recurving until 77W makes the probability of a miss go down by a large margin. Also, the weakness is setup in a way that only a NNE recurve is possible unless massive changes occur.

There are alot of reasons to believe this won't miss the United States, alot more than those supporting a fish. The fact that it doesn't start recurving until 77W makes the probability of a miss go down by a large margin. Also, the weakness is setup in a way that only a NNE recurve is possible unless massive changes occur.

The problem I see is we want a deep midwest trough to prevent the natural eastward movement of this storm as it gains latitude and gets caught up in the easterlies.

The problem I see is we want a deep midwest trough to prevent the natural eastward movement of this storm as it gains latitude and gets caught up in the easterlies.

Probably not likely in August. The NNE track does allow it to the spend the most time overwater. Alot of people could make the mistake of remembering Hurricane Earl which had an unfavorable upper-level pattern for strengthening after it reached 30N.

I was on my boat in Nantucket Harbor with 100mph gusts on my Davis. All from the NE.

I wouldn't say it snuck up on us either. It was pretty well progged to do what it did. Perhaps a bit stronger than forecast.

I was down in Newport and didn't bother to head out to the cape b/c the track shifted east. But a buddy caught this footage in Hyanis:

He thought the winds were bigger than forecast b/c the storm was in transition to a cold center storm. I was under the impression the winds were out of the south as it passed by rapidly, but you are probably right. I really wasn't there to experience it.

The 2 of you have become extremely annoying. Please stop the petty ribs at each other.

Some positives, PNA rising fast, NAO in transition to positive. Every hurricane that ever hit did not have huge MW trough, Lots of time but this fun, something to fuss about besides faux severe threads, torch, swamp ass.

models don't really trend per say...this has just as much of a chance of going west next run as it does going east. Of course, that does mean the OTS solution is in play.

Yeah, I don't know. I've read the couple of papers on the value of evaluating dprog/dt, which generally dismiss it also. But the initialization process would suggest that models should exhibit some degree of trending for at least a certain number of runs, since the initial conditions are based in part on the short term forecast from the previous run. So yeah, trending wouldn't continue forever ... at some point it reaches an equilibrium, or observations contradict the previous trends short term forecast and start to shift in the other direction.

I could be completely out in left field on this one

Yeah, I don't know. I've read the couple of papers on the value of evaluating dprog/dt, which generally dismiss it also. But the initialization process would suggest that models should exhibit some degree of trending for at least a certain number of runs, since the initial conditions are based in part on the short term forecast from the previous run. So yeah, trending wouldn't continue forever ... at some point it reaches an equilibrium, or observations contradict the previous trends short term forecast and start to shift in the other direction.

A bunch of Met sites have model "trends" on them, do not know what it means but when a model starts pushing East early, rarely do the runs reverse late.

I tend to agree. Just based on experience, when we see a model nudge east (or west) the next run tends to follow a trend. Maybe it's just me, but if I were to bet, I'd wager the next GFS nudges a little east.

Archived