Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro verbatim is nothing special for us. I think if you want winds you want this thing to rocket north with some kind of mega-phase to our southwest. If it's crawling ashore in the Carolinas it's going to weaken very fast and there's not really much baroclinic enhancement (like a Hazel) as the thing moves north.

Ryan,

You're doing a great job analyzing this event......You should send a tape into The Weather Channel. None of us should be expecting much around here, but after back to back hurricane seasons that were absolute duds it's fun to track something that could become substantial....I just wish it would strike a more populated area instead of SE NC that would provide more riveting images.

Excellent writeup. So a request from the mets, will, scooter, ryan, phil, Tip, osumet, and anyone I missed, my stepfather just had his spleen and part of his pancreas taken out last week and was rushed to the hospital last night with a high fever, and undergoing another procedure right now. This is an incredibly difficult forecast, my mom is in Pawley's Is SC roughly 25 miles sw of Myrtle Beach, obviously if this hits I need to drive the truck down and remove any valuables and get them out, and of course that is a BIG if in regards to Irene making landfall on the mid-upper sc coast. Problem is I need to leave a minimum of 24 hrs before evacuation orders are given, southbound side roads leading into Myrtle Beach Georgetown area from I95 are reversed under evacuation orders making it almost if not impossible to get to the beach.

I know this is way up in the air, but any kind of pm to me over the next two days with your thoughts regarding a landfall in the area from HH up through Myrtle would truly be appreciated, thanks so much.

Joe

Excellent writeup. So a request from the mets, will, scooter, ryan, phil osumet, and anyone I missed, my stepfather just had his spleen and part of his pancreas taken out last week and was rushed to the hospital last night with a high fever, and undergoing another procedure right now. This is an incredibly difficult forecast, my mom is in Pawley's Is SC roughly 25 miles sw of Myrtle Beach, obviously if this hits I need to drive the truck down and remove any valuables and get them out, and of course that is a BIG if in regards to Irene making landfall on the mid-upper sc coast. Problem is I need to leave a minimum of 24 hrs before evacuation orders are given, southbound side roads leading into Myrtle Beach Georgetown area from I95 are reversed under evacuation orders making it almost if not impossible to get to the beach.

I know this is way up in the air, but any kind of pm to me over the next two days with your thoughts regarding a landfall in the area from HH up through Myrtle would truly be appreciated, thanks so much.

Joe

I think if you read the main thread on this storm in weather forecasting and discussion you will get a better sense of where this will hit IMO

Those posters are really good over there, like here

gfs ensembles look sweet but we all know they will change!!

http://www.wundergro...9_ensmodel.html

What one should take away from that is:

1) Very good clustering for tropical system passing through D4 into 6

2) Very good cllustering for any system in general

3) The operational version is on the eastern side of the envelope of solutions, leaving the correction vector pointed west.

...I really don't have a problem with this coming on board up here at this point... I'm closer to on the fence with that than a miss.

I think if you read the main thread on this storm in weather forecasting and discussion you will get a better sense of where this will hit IMO

Those posters are really good over there, like here

Thanks, but reading through the Tropics thread can be tiring, and I think some of the best mets on american are right here.

3) The operational version is on the eastern side of the envelope of solutions, leaving the correction vector pointed west.

...I really don't have a problem with this coming on board up here at this point... I'm closer to on the fence with that than a miss.

I thought the same thing with the clustering.. tip, Where do we want the second landfall for the best effects?

For a 5+ day system, GFS ensemble consistency is striking. Getting something like .8 percentile is unusual.

storm1_12_ms3.png

Excellent writeup. So a request from the mets, will, scooter, ryan, phil, Tip, osumet, and anyone I missed, my stepfather just had his spleen and part of his pancreas taken out last week and was rushed to the hospital last night with a high fever, and undergoing another procedure right now. This is an incredibly difficult forecast, my mom is in Pawley's Is SC roughly 25 miles sw of Myrtle Beach, obviously if this hits I need to drive the truck down and remove any valuables and get them out, and of course that is a BIG if in regards to Irene making landfall on the mid-upper sc coast. Problem is I need to leave a minimum of 24 hrs before evacuation orders are given, southbound side roads leading into Myrtle Beach Georgetown area from I95 are reversed under evacuation orders making it almost if not impossible to get to the beach.

Joe

Very difficult to advise you given 24s worth of the time constraining circumstance, and I understand the price-tag and hardship wtih committing to a particular course of action.

Are you alone, or do you have a spouse and/or someone who can be left behind to tend to the battening of the hatches locally??

You may want to do a split effort here, simply because in 24 hours I do not believe the forecasting certitude will have improved that much. ...Maybe, I do find the clustering of the GFS ensembles to be pretty fantastic quite frankly, suggesting the bigger impact may indeed turn out to be locally here in SNE. If you had even 48 hours that would make a big difference here.

My personal belief is that Myrtle Beach will end up a bit W of the center and that is usually more rain than wind for TCs transitioning.

Very difficult to advise you given 24s worth of the time constraining circumstance, and I understand the price-tag and hardship wtih committing to a particular course of action.

Are you alone, or do you have a spouse and/or someone who can be left behind to tend to the battening of the hatches locally??

You may want to do a split effort here, simply because in 24 hours I do not believe the forecasting certitude will have improved that much. ...Maybe, I do find the clustering of the GFS ensembles to be pretty fantastic quite frankly, suggesting the bigger impact may indeed turn out to be locally here in SNE. If you had even 48 hours that would make a big difference here.

My personal belief is that Myrtle Beach will end up a bit W of the center and that is usually more rain than wind for TCs transitioning.

Tip my wife and kids will be here, and I have no worries about the storm locally, I need to leave here, driving in my truck from Ct 24 hours before they issue evacuation orders down there so I can actually make it in to the beach, thanks for responding:)

I thought the same thing with the clustering.. tip, Where do we want the second landfall for the best effects?

:unsure: ah, yeah, I don't WANT that necessarily? Seriously. I'm a home owner up here and that ensemble track is very bad for me... Even at TS intensity, moving along at 30mph with sustained 55kt wind is going to do a lot of damage people.

I mean ...I'm not brain dead: obviously as a Meteorologist I am just as captivated by big events. It's just that I am also sane, too.

To answer your question... if you want "best effects" - I think you mean "AFFECT" because carry no illusions, you will be smacked in the face, punched in the gut, and ten visited by the Sisters Of Mercy from Shawshank Redemption - you want this mean to verify pretty much as is... I really stays just off shore and than slams into LI and cuts 20 M west of ORH...passing right about over Nashua. All of RI/eastern MA, if that is a category 2 cane, pretty much is rendered without an infrastructure until further notice.

That's not saying anyting beyond the pale of what these ensembles are indicating. That's 950mb low territory cutting through eastern CT/central MA moving at 25-30mph. Not sure how else one would interpret that.

Tip my wife and kids will be here, and I have no worries about the storm locally, I need to leave here, driving in my truck from Ct 24 hours before they issue evacuation orders down there so I can actually make it in to the beach, thanks for responding:)

That's the problem though... it would be ridiculous to drive 24 hours for nothing, and there is no way to advise you with certitude over the next 24 hours - being the irony. Flying is not an option?

:unsure: ah, yeah, I don't WANT that necessarily? Seriously. I'm a home owner up here and that ensemble track is very bad for me... Even at TS intensity, moving along at 30mph with sustained 55kt wind is going to do a lot of damage people.

I mean ...I'm not brain dead: obviously as a Meteorologist I am just as captivated by big events. It's just that I am also sane, too.

To answer your question... if you want "best effects" - I think you mean "AFFECT" because carry no illusions, you will be smacked in the face, punched in the guy, and visited by the Sisters Of Mercy from Shawshank Redemption - you want this mean to verify pretty much as is... I really stays just off shore and than slams into LI and cuts 20 M west of ORH...passing right about over Nashua. All of RI/eastern MA, if that is a category 2 cane, pretty much is rendered without an infrastructure until further notice.

That's not saying anyting beyond the pale of what these ensembles are indicating. That 950mb low territory cutting through eastern CT/central MA moving at 25-30mph. Not sure how else one would interpret that.

I want what you just described, am I sick? Do you really think NE could have 60 MPH sustained with that track? Even inland?

That's the problem though... it would be ridiculous to drive 24 hours for nothing, and there is no way to advise you with certitude over the next 24 hours - being the irony. Flying is not an option?

Its not I would get a weekend to help my mom out in regards to my stepfather being in the hospital, in any case a couple days out I imagine

Archived