Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part IV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going against climo, and even after Ed think his team won't make it to playoffs, there's some real possibility for a NW Carib-W GOM action in the long range... teleconnections favor a continued W coast trough which would pump the SE ridge in the 8-16 day period... in this timeframe the W carib might pop a tropical low. And it looks like the MJO is going nuts in some favorable phases.

Going against climo, and even after Ed think his team won't make it to playoffs, there's some real possibility for a NW Carib-W GOM action in the long range... teleconnections favor a continued W coast trough which would pump the SE ridge in the 8-16 day period... in this timeframe the W carib might pop a tropical low. And it looks like the MJO is going nuts in some favorable phases.

October 4th was the latest my team ever played in the league championship series, and except for the drought, I'd rather see a major hit Florida than a Jerry halfacane hit here.

Admit it. You have been peaking at the 384 hr teasers and waited until it became under 300 hr teasers. :P

2011100706_CON_GFS_SFC_WINDS_SLP_300.gif

Admit it. You have been peaking at the 384 hr teasers and waited until it became under 300 hr teasers. :P

Damn, you got me! :P

But seriously, even if probability is low, and is against climo, the synoptic setup in the long range looks good for 1) an active Caribbean and 2) higher than normal heights in the S/SE CONUS

Last 8 GFS runs for potential early week SE US tropical storm: pretty consistent

18Z Wed: Brunswick 1000 mb 10/11

00Z Thu: St. Augustine 1005 mb 10/11

06Z Thu: Charleston 1003 mb 10/11

12Z Thu: Brunswick 1003 mb 10/11

18Z Thu: Brunswick 1003 mb late 10/10

00Z Fri: Wilmington 1008 mb 10/12 (appears to be extratropical at landfall)

06Z Fri: Beaufort 1003 mb 10/11

12Z Fri Midway 1005 mb 10/10

Although no other major model has yet to show a definitive SE coast tropical storm landfall (as far as I know), the GFS has been pretty consistent/insistent on this over a fairly tight corridor (St. Augustine to Charleston). Also, the GGEM is now getting close to this kind of solution after previously being in the Gulf. The Euro is still holding tough with its Gulf solutions. However, even it is showing subtle signs of moving further east. We'll see. The UKMET is still going with the Gulf (as of the 12Z Fri run), but it often is a west outlier. Fun times for some of us for a change!

Last 8 GFS runs for potential early week SE US tropical storm: pretty consistent

Although no other major model has yet to show a definitive SE coast tropical storm landfall (as far as I know), the GFS has been pretty consistent/insistent on this over a fairly tight corridor (St. Augustine to Charleston). Also, the GGEM is now getting close to this kind of solution after previously being in the Gulf. The Euro is still holding tough with its Gulf solutions. However, even it is showing subtle signs of moving further east. We'll see. The UKMET is still going with the Gulf (as of the 12Z Fri run), but it often is a west outlier. Fun times for some of us for a change!

The 12Z Euro is staying consistent with its prior runs. So, we have the GFS (E of FL last 8 runs ) vs. Euro (W of FL last 5 runs) in a classic battle of the titan models. I can't recall a previous situation all that similar to this.

At another BB, it is U_Thant (who posts there under another name) vs. the tropical met. from Houston, "57". U_Thant thinks it will ride up W of FL or near the W coast while "57" thinks it will do this just E of FL.

So, to those in the know about the models' biases/strengths/weaknesses and are following this closely, which of the GFS and Euro is likely to verify more closely? Do you expect the surface low to ride up E of FL, W of FL, or neither? Subtropical, subtropical going to tropical, pure tropical, or no closed surface low? TIA

The 12Z Euro is staying consistent with its prior runs. So, we have the GFS (E of FL last 8 runs ) vs. Euro (W of FL last 5 runs) in a classic battle of the titan models. I can't recall a previous situation all that similar to this.

At another BB, it is U_Thant (who posts there under another name) vs. the tropical met. from Houston, "57". U_Thant thinks it will ride up W of FL or near the W coast while "57" thinks it will do this just E of FL.

So, to those in the know about the models' biases/strengths/weaknesses and are following this closely, which of the GFS and Euro is likely to verify more closely? Do you expect the surface low to ride up E of FL, W of FL, or neither? Subtropical, subtropical going to tropical, pure tropical, or no closed surface low? TIA

I don't know the answer but do think that the 12Z euro surface low has a strong tilt between the surface and 500mb. The sfc low is actually west of the 500 circulation which usually doesn't happen since the best upper level divergence is typically on the eastern side of an upper system. Still even the euro moves the low across northern FL and then up the east coast.

Can you PM with this other BB where these discussions are taking place?

Since I made the above post, the GFS had only one more run showing a SE coast TS hit. Ever since, it has been showing no more than a ST/more spread out storm. So, the GFS may be headed to a big fail on the TS idea. Is this even going to get strong enough to get a name? We'll see.

Someone accidentally deleted my post about even if the Super Bowl III Jets freak TC in mid-October in the NW Gulf happened, OHC is low and dropping.

Ocean temp doesn't mean everything. This from Wikipedia:

Normally, an ocean temperature of 26.5°C (79.7°F) spanning through at least a 50-metre depth is one of the six requirements needed to maintain the special mesocyclone that is the tropical cyclone.[32] These warm waters are needed to maintain the warm core that fuels tropical systems. This value is well above 16.1 °C (60.9 °F), the long term global average surface temperature of the oceans.[33] However, this requirement can be considered only a general baseline because it assumes that the ambient atmospheric environment surrounding an area of disturbed weather presents average conditions. Tropical cyclones have intensified when SSTs were slightly below this standard temperature.

NW Florida (Panama City Beach area) forecast from WTVY-4 in Dothan, Al shows a water temp of 78F, This is not going to kill a tropical cyclone too fast.

gulfk.jpg

In happier news, the 12Z GFS starts something before the resolution chop that than goes on to affect Cuba beyond (Is there a Cuban consulate in Puerto Vallarta or Manzanillo?), and has general support from the 0Z Euro.

Today's non-tropical heavy rains have really put me in a glass half full mood.

Euro would seem to suggest a passport and visa may not be needed.

post-138-0-63929200-1318183898.gif

The buoy off Cape Canaveral has been sustained tropical storm force since around 10 am this morning and just had a gust to 50knts......so even though this isnt a true tropical system ( at least not yet) there is plenty of wind along the coast, pretty nasty radar sig as well still doesnt quite look like a true tropical system quite yet

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41009

I'm right on Melbourne Beach (vacation with 10 family members, fun!). It had been really windy all day, but then started getting pretty rough around 6 pm, with wind blowing water in through the bottom of the sliding doors and windows. We lost power for about an hour, but it's back (for now?).

Can't believe I ended up here in the midst of this without any plans to!

Still hints of Flrida excitement mid/late month. With that trough coming down, a sheared system or baroclinic enhancent and maximum fun?

GFS also has a system developing near the chop, but that would appear Pacific in origin and crossing back into the SW Caribbean.

Just checked the internet, JB looks at the same models I do...

Archived