Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part IV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, what happened to us... we lost a bit of synch (edited with El Salvador before seeing your post)....

Anyways, then it's N MX or S/C TX (only two canes have hit the W GOM after 10/15 since 1851) or FL after that.

YA3mI.gif

Does this mean Steve will be talking 'Carla Cradle' on the local forum for another week?

Anyway, I'm not giving up on a 1780 scenario for the Lesser and Greater Antilles, myself.

Euro not well supported by the ensembles...

The sw cutoff bias? Probably more a myth now than what it was in previous Euro versions, but it could be... Like I said a few days ago, I see a W coast trough, and a SE ridge pattern... Pattern in models, other than the Euro, especially the 12z Euro, has been very progressive with the trough in the W coast swinging east in the 6-10 day timeframe... this latest Euro cuts off an ULL in the SW CONUS, which helps the ridge stay put and even rebuild back west in the GOM.... You can't see a more different pattern between the GFS and Euro@ day 10, but it's consequence of this trough cutting off or not.... There's nothing else out there supporting the Euro solution, so even if I proposed that kind of pattern, I won't buy it from the model yet, unless I see more model support.

Also, the ensemble mean could be the result of a few members keeping the trough energy west and some swinging it to the east, that's the problem of only looking at the mean.

OTOH, the W Carib cyclone moving towards the Yucatan or Yucatan channel, I think that's pretty plausible, and give it a 30-40% of eventually happening.

Paul Roundy had some interesting things to say about the MJO cycle today in our Tropical Weather discussion. First, if the amplitude in phase 1 from the ECWMF were to verify, it would be the greatest phase 1 amplitude in October of all time. In addition, he feels that there is some super-positioning going on between a weak to moderate MJO signal currently along with the current atmospheric effects being caused by the current phase of the IOD. In essence, the MJO signal in the phase space diagram is being amplified further by non MJO effects within the Indian Ocean, so the strength of this current MJO might not be as intense as the phase space diagrams would suggest.

Still though, I don't think its any accident that we are now seeing the potential of a monsoon gyre spin up between the Atlantic and East Pacific very similar to what occurred during the last week of September last year. The Atlantic should continue to remain pretty convectively active over the next week.

BEGIN NHC_ATCF invest_al942011.invest FSTDA

R U 040 010 0000 201110131326

NONE NOTIFY=ATRP END

INVEST, AL, L, , , , , 94, 2011, DB, O, 2011101312,

9999999999, , , , , , METWATCH,

, AL942011 AL, 94, 2011101312, , BEST, 0, 266N, 727W, 25, 0, DB, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0,

I haven't had my first cup of coffee.

I would definitely take the "over" on the stated odds of the Yucatan area forming something, land interaction or not.

The mandarin might get named, but its hard to get too excited about anything forming about the same latitude, and East of, Miami in mid-October.

Of course, I suspect the Slop Gyre will get sheared apart if it gets much North of the Tropic of Cancer.

I doubt either one gets named. The mandarin will be plagued by shear and it gets worse the farther north it moves. The lemon is a land hugger, and will probably remain that way as part of the monsoon gyre, which will probably drench big time SE MX, and Northern CA (GT, BZ, HN, SV). There might be a small window of opportunity, if ridging builds in the N GOM (the farther north, the better, so it doesn't act as a block), and it can crawl to the BOC, but I don't think it will become more than a rainmaker.

I agree with you, but I would take a bet the "lemon" has a considerably better chance than "near zero" to develop, i.e., I'd take a 6-1 wager on a depression forming.

I doubt either one gets named. The mandarin will be plagued by shear and it gets worse the farther north it moves. The lemon is a land hugger, and will probably remain that way as part of the monsoon gyre, which will probably drench big time SE MX, and Northern CA (GT, BZ, HN, SV). There might be a small window of opportunity, if ridging builds in the N GOM (the farther north, the better, so it doesn't act as a block), and it can crawl to the BOC, but I don't think it will become more than a rainmaker.

The buoy off Cape Canaveral has been sustained tropical storm force since around 10 am this morning and just had a gust to 50knts......so even though this isnt a true tropical system ( at least not yet) there is plenty of wind along the coast, pretty nasty radar sig as well still doesnt quite look like a true tropical system quite yet

http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=41009

Looking pretty intense on radar:

Melbourne, FL Radar

Radar shows possible circulation. I am JUST south of there in Port Saint Lucie with a bright moon overhead and never ending lightening just to the north. Surreal to say the least.

I'm fairly convinced that this thing will be declared an unnamed tropical storm in reanalysis. I had seen a few surface obs / meteograms supporting at least a depression but I didn't save them.

I never go to weather.com, but I was informed of a pretty convincing blog update featuring these obs:

http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/

Check out the wind and pressure measurements:

post-378-0-47917000-1318529423.gif

post-378-0-19708500-1318529434.gif

I'm fairly convinced that this thing will be declared an unnamed tropical storm in reanalysis. I had seen a few surface obs / meteograms supporting at least a depression but I didn't save them.

I never go to weather.com, but I was informed of a pretty convincing blog update featuring these obs:

http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/

Check out the wind and pressure measurements:

post-378-0-47917000-1318529423.gif

post-378-0-19708500-1318529434.gif

Given the upper level pattern, I would be really really surprised if this was designated a TS after post analysis, but I would be equally surprised if it WAS NOT designated as an unnamed STS after the fact. Latent heat release was not the primary mechanism for intensification...jet forcing from the negative tilt trough aloft was.

Given the upper level pattern, I would be really really surprised if this was designated a TS after post analysis, but I would be equally surprised if it WAS NOT designated as an unnamed STS after the fact. Latent heat release was not the primary mechanism for intensification...jet forcing from the negative tilt trough aloft was.

Yeah, I probably should have said subtropical, but my main point was that it should have been something.

Whats the strongest MJO amplitude ever?

From the dataset back to 1974,

Highest amplitude on record:

4.01604 ... in phase 4 ... on Feb 14, 1985

Highest amplitude in phase 1:

3.50836 ... on Mar 25, 1997

Highest amplitude in October:

3.31127 ... in phase 5 ... on Oct 4, 1979

Highest amplitude in phase 1 in October:

2.75206 ... on Oct 30, 1985

Looks like both 94L and 95L have perked up this morning. The genesis of 95L was eerily similar to Nicole last year, but this system might be trapped for a while longer. I'm still thinking we won't see anything much stronger than a weak TS, but I'm leaving the door open for more interesting things if it can survive beyond the frontal passage early next week.

94L has a shot to develop too thanks to the favorable MJO phase enhancing convection alongside a kelvin wave passage, but it will have to be in the next 24 hours before the shear exceeds 30 knots.

Archived