amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
8.13-8.15 rain and storm event

Ian

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder how much we'll see the current shield build south.. northwest wind not too favorable for much rain down this way but anomalous cold air aloft probably sets off at least a few somethings even if we don't get into the more continual stuff

wonder how much we'll see the current shield build south.. northwest wind not too favorable for much rain down this way but anomalous cold air aloft probably sets off at least a few somethings even if we don't get into the more continual stuff

I would assume that any sun would help instability to aid the temp diff from upper air to surface?

Looks like some of the Frederick, MD, folks can stop crying about the "desert", at least for today. Looks like they got pounded the last couple hours. I'm liking the radar filling in nicely over HoCo.

looks like anybody east of Rt 15 is doing very nicely today. Those of us in the rain shadow west of rt 15 will continue to b**ch and moan :P

I would assume that any sun would help instability to aid the temp diff from upper air to surface?

yeah pretty much. nam not impressive but it missed the evening stuff last night too.

Looks like some of the Frederick, MD, folks can stop crying about the "desert", at least for today. Looks like they got pounded the last couple hours. I'm liking the radar filling in nicely over HoCo.

Um, I've had nothing but sunshine all day in Ballenger Creek (SW Frederick). I'm at 4.3" since May 1. Most of Howard County is approaching 15" in that same time period. Easy to make judgement when you're the winner and not paying big water bills to keep the property looking decent.

One edit: I believe most posters from Frederick are from near the city. Reality is that Frederick sits in a bowl (only 180 ft) and at the base of the Catoctins which likely impacts the atmosphere (both temps and precip). This is a common theory up this way although never validated by a scientist.

looks like anybody east of Rt 15 is doing very nicely today. Those of us in the rain shadow west of rt 15 will continue to b**ch and moan :P

This is true. Those stuck between the Blue Ridge and Rt 15 are not having a good summer in terms of rainfall. I guess we just get our big rains between Nov and Apr...for some reason, the Catoctins don't seem to come into play for winter rain events.

Um, I've had nothing but sunshine all day in Ballenger Creek (SW Frederick). I'm at 4.3" since May 1. Most of Howard County is approaching 15" in that same time period. Easy to make judgement when you're the winner and not paying big water bills to keep the property looking decent.

Thats why he said SOME ;)

Lots of thunder with light rain in Laurel. Storms are crapping out as they drift eastward.

DC getting nothing. <---Just thought I should point that out :whistle:

really only worth pointing out when we're not getting nothing as the current is the norm

Archived