Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
DC/MD/VA/WV General Obs/Disc: mid-July - end of August

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, IAD really cratered. Wonder if there are local micrometeorological factors that help it get down so low (at least a few degrees cooler than all the PWSs in the area). 67.5 at my place, but I'm on a ridge with no pooling potential on calm nights.

they got a lot less rain over the weekend, tho that might not matter much

Odds on getting another heatwave (and maybe just another 90+ day) are dropping quickly for those of us outside DC or Fredericksburg and points south. GFS continuing to keep us sub-90 for the entire run. I'm sure DCA will sneak a 90 out of one of the days that's mid-upper 80s for most of us, but we're starting to fight climo now.

Wow, IAD really cratered. Wonder if there are local micrometeorological factors that help it get down so low (at least a few degrees cooler than all the PWSs in the area). 67.5 at my place, but I'm on a ridge with no pooling potential on calm nights.

I measured 60 for the low out here in the valley this morning, but it's heated up very quickly. 86F at 11:00 AM. No way, we won't smash through 90 today. I think the dryness is playing a big part; day after day the daytime highs are significantly higher than forecast. On a clear night, at least, we can get some relief from the heat, though we can't get any releif from the drought.

Got down to 60 on here in the burg, 12 miles WNW of IAD. It was gorgeous out side around 5am though, felt great

63 at my place this morning. Beautiful morning to walk a dog.

The spring rains followed by so much heat has led to a major algae bloom on the Potomac south of Mattawoman creek. I fished in the crrek today and saw people skiing and swimming despite the warnings. Anyway, run off followed by heat is bad for the Potomac.

WATER CONTACT ADVISORY - Mattawoman Creek

Created by William.Leebel in 8/6/2011 8:20:47 AM

***Water Contact Advisory***

Blue-green Algae Reported in Potomac River and Mattawoman Creek in Charles County

Baltimore, MD (August 5, 2011) - The Maryland Departments of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH), Environment (MDE) and Natural Resources (DNR) advise that concentrations of a blue-green algae, called Microcystis, have been reported in the Potomac River south of Mattawoman Creek and in the mouth of Mattawoman Creek where it converges with the Potomac River. Blooms of blue-green algae are often identified by bright green waters, sometimes with a surface scum that resembles green paint. These blooms may contain a naturally occurring toxin that can cause skin irritation, nausea, and other effects if swallowed or with prolonged contact. The Health Department advises individuals who are considering water contact activities such as water-skiing, swimming, etc. to avoid these areas and in general take the following precautions if algae blooms are noted:

• Do not swim in areas where a bloom of blue-green algae is evident.
  • Do not drink water from an area with the appearance of a blue-green algal bloom.
  • If contact is unavoidable, simply wash off with fresh water as soon as possible.
  • If any skin irritation persists or any of the above symptoms develop, see a physician or healthcare provider.
  • Keep pets and livestock away from bloom areas.
  • If your pet or livestock appears ill and may have been in contact with the bloom, questions should be directed to your veterinarian.

There is no known risk from eating fillets (muscle tissue) of healthy fish caught in bloom-affected waters. However, you should not eat viscera (internal organs) of fish caught in blue-green algae bloom waters as toxins may concentrate within these areas. A fact sheet on algae blooms is available on the Department of Natural Resources website at: http://www.dnr.state...crocystis2.html To report a fish kill or a fish health-related event, call the Bay Health Hotline at (877) 224-7229, twenty-four hours a day. To report health concerns related to algae blooms, contact the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene toll-free at 1-866-703-3266. For local information contact the Division of Environmental Health Services – Charles County Department of Health at 301-609-6751.

Archived