• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
DC/MD/VA/WV General Obs/Disc: mid-July - end of August

Ellinwood

GFS has been fairly consistent in advertising a legitimate autumn cold front coming out of Canada later this week and moving through our area late Sunday/Monday. Also has been showing lows in the upper 40s possible behind it with highs in the upper 60s/low 70s. Could also be first frost for our subregion members out in the cold valleys in WVA.

I am actually giddy after reading this. Yesterday was enough to get me thinking of autumn. High of 76, and that temp fell to 68 around 4:30 when a breif squall moved through. Once the clouds cleared, last night was spectacular. Hit a low of 49 here this morning, but very, very foggy. Dew is so thick that it actually measured .01" in the rain gage, and I could hear the water dripping in my gutters.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovin the last few nights. I was hit with a $400 electric bill during the superheat of July. We set our AC at 75ish too.

Prospects of lows in the 40's-50's and highs in the 70's is just awesome. Time to open up the house and leave the AC off for days on end.

Love fall weather (especially Sept-Oct). It's my favorite season for a lot of reasons.

Lovin the last few nights. I was hit with a $400 electric bill during the superheat of July. We set our AC at 75ish too.

Prospects of lows in the 40's-50's and highs in the 70's is just awesome. Time to open up the house and leave the AC off for days on end.

Love fall weather (especially Sept-Oct). It's my favorite season for a lot of reasons.

I was just about to reply to an Ian post in the "2nd Hottest Summer" thread that July is my least favorite weather month. Like you, the next two months to three months are easily my favorite. And not just because I'm sitting on the patio right now drinking my first Oktoberfest of the year. Although it helps.

I was just about to reply to an Ian post in the "2nd Hottest Summer" thread that July is my least favorite weather month. Like you, the next two months to three months are easily my favorite. And not just because I'm sitting on the patio right now drinking my first Oktoberfest of the year. Although it helps.

Sam Adams?

As a matter of fact, yes, it was. And tonight a couple of Victory Summer Ales to say so long to the season, and one last Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale before bed to start September with a twinge of a headache.

Another picture perfect weather day.

Octoberfest - my favorite :thumbsup:

Winterfest is a very close second....

Now that this miserable summer is in the books (but I'm sure not over):

Month Avg. High Depart. Precip.

June 85.2F +4.8F 2.52

July 93.2F +8.2F .93

Aug 87.8F +4.1F 2.00

This is the first year that I've kept records. While I guess it was not as hot as last summer (except July) it was still HOT. Two +4F departures book-ending that ridiculous +8.2F in July was incredible. The weird thing is that June and Aug were not generally considered extreme, yet each was over 4F above average. The outer-bands of Irene somewhat salvaged the precip for Aug, but this summer saw absolute arid conditions develop after mid-June. I don't have records from last year, but it seemed as dry as last year - and that seemed to be the dryest I'd seen in my lifetime. To have two summers like this back to back just defies the odds.

Now that this miserable summer is in the books (but I'm sure not over):

Month Avg. High Depart. Precip.

June 85.2F +4.8F 2.52

July 93.2F +8.2F .93

Aug 87.8F +4.1F 2.00

This is the first year that I've kept records. While I guess it was not as hot as last summer (except July) it was still HOT. Two +4F departures book-ending that ridiculous +8.2F in July was incredible. The weird thing is that June and Aug were not generally considered extreme, yet each was over 4F above average. The outer-bands of Irene somewhat salvaged the precip for Aug, but this summer saw absolute arid conditions develop after mid-June. I don't have records from last year, but it seemed as dry as last year - and that seemed to be the dryest I'd seen in my lifetime. To have two summers like this back to back just defies the odds.

You are probably sick of hearing this from me, but I am just stunned at the difference in our summers with only 30 miles separating us. The rain we were lucky enough to get up here made a hell of a difference in regards to the heat.

Here's my stats for avg high/precip:

June 81.0F 1.88"

July 88.0F 5.73"

Aug 83.1 4.69"

A 4-5 degree difference consistently for the monthly mean. Now watch; you'll double my snowfall this winter.:drunk:

You are probably sick of hearing this from me, but I am just stunned at the difference in our summers with only 30 miles separating us. The rain we were lucky enough to get up here made a hell of a difference in regards to the heat.

Here's my stats for avg high/precip:

June 81.0F 1.88"

July 88.0F 5.73"

Aug 83.1 4.69"

A 4-5 degree difference consistently for the monthly mean. Now watch; you'll double my snowfall this winter.:drunk:

No way, I like comparing nearby surroundings! It's hard to believe that 30 miles could make so much difference, but you didn't even need to go 30 miles to see stark differences in conditions this year. Last year it seemed we had a regional drought, while this years was more localized. I'm curious, what is your elevation?

Here's hoping to making up some of that precip deficit in crystalline form! After the last two summers, and last winter, I don't think I can mentally handle another dry, snowless winter.

No way, I like comparing nearby surroundings! It's hard to believe that 30 miles could make so much difference, but you didn't even need to go 30 miles to see stark differences in conditions this year. Last year it seemed we had a regional drought, while this years was more localized. I'm curious, what is your elevation?

Here's hoping to making up some of that precip deficit in crystalline form! After the last two summers, and last winter, I don't think I can mentally handle another dry, snowless winter.

I'm at 495' asl, about 800 yds south of the Potomac, in kind of a sheltered valley. This is my sixth summer here, and the previous five were filled with frustration watching storms form just to my east and clocking the metro areas. Or lines coming out of the highlands and skipping over me before reintensifying. This year has been completely unlike that. Probably used up a decade's worth of luck this spring and summer.

Last year was terrible for drought here. I actually was concerned I was gonna lose the well.

I'm at 495' asl, about 800 yds south of the Potomac, in kind of a sheltered valley. This is my sixth summer here, and the previous five were filled with frustration watching storms form just to my east and clocking the metro areas. Or lines coming out of the highlands and skipping over me before reintensifying. This year has been completely unlike that. Probably used up a decade's worth of luck this spring and summer.

Last year was terrible for drought here. I actually was concerned I was gonna lose the well.

LOL. Your frustrations are exactly like mine. I've been in SC for two summers now, and the scenarios you described are exactly what happen here time and time again. I don't know if it is just bad timing on my part, or the norm for this town - you can't find almanac data specifically for this town, and what happens in Winchester isn't necessarily indicative of what the climate is here. If your luck changed this year, then hopefully mine will soon as well.

My elevation is around 730 ft. It's hard to beleive that you're so much cooler there at that minimal elevation. As you said, it must be a result of your greater precip.

Archived