EWR757
DC/MD/VA/WV General Obs/Disc: mid-July - end of August

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pre-hurricane subsidence (a little)

but i doubt it's 93 there

Wxbug station in Stephens City is currently 89F with a high of 93F. Another station in Winchester reporting 90F, also. Have seen stations in Harpers Ferry and Clark County in the mid 80s, however. The fact that the temps at my local station dropped from 93 to 89 makes me wonder if there is not something a little fishy, but generally its measurments are comparable to nearby stations, and I can attest that it is HOT out. All year long, seemingly, this has been a warm spot, which I've attributed to it being so dry, and usually less cloudy than other locations. I don't know, I'm unable to verify that wxbug statiion report with one at my house because by the time I get home from work, the sun is on my thermometer - I don't have a digital, nor one that could log a high-temp.

However, thanks for the possible explanation of why the temps could be so high. Are temps overperforming in DC also?

I see then that my 93F is not an outlier. Thanks for your OBS. Apparently, Frederick shares in SC's misery. Not by coincidence, both places also share the drought.

And, apparently, I should move to Falling Waters, WV. Much wetter and cooler climate.

Anywhere in Berkeley County would work. :)

MRB has already had 91 days this year with measurable precipitation. The long term average is 117 days annually.

With 127 days remaining in the year, they should blow by that. (Record is 154 days in 2003.)

GFS has been fairly consistent in advertising a legitimate autumn cold front coming out of Canada later this week and moving through our area late Sunday/Monday. Also has been showing lows in the upper 40s possible behind it with highs in the upper 60s/low 70s. Could also be first frost for our subregion members out in the cold valleys in WVA.

GFS has been fairly consistent in advertising a legitimate autumn cold front coming out of Canada later this week and moving through our area late Sunday/Monday. Also has been showing lows in the upper 40s possible behind it with highs in the upper 60s/low 70s. Could also be first frost for our subregion members out in the cold valleys in WVA.

This post leaves me all happy inside.

It's days like those that make September/October so nice around here.

Archived