• Created
  • Last Reply

HEre's what we should be looking at

LOW PRESSURE COMING EWD ALONG

THE 49TH PARALLEL WED TO FRI WILL SPREAD A FAIRLY WIDE AREA OF

LIGHT SNOW ACROSS ND INTO MN AND THE GREAT LAKES REGION INTO

FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL THE REFORM OFF THE NEW ENG COAST WITH

SNOW POTENTIAL OVER COASTAL NEW ENG SAT

Yeah this system is actually inside 6 days now...focus on this and we'll see where the 2nd system stands once we are closer.

And 12z model consensus isn't west of the Apps. Only the Euro was with a track from Ohio to ALB

with all respect rev

i believe the ukmet is west

edit/ most gfs ens (12z) members look decent some a tad over hudson but most in decent positon for interior SNE

cmc / euro

but the good thing is it still wayyy out there

WRT the first clipper...it almost has the look of s narrow but "bursty" almost convective appeal. TT's rise into the mid 50's as warm moist se flow is forced into an area that is pretty dam cold aloft. I could almost see this as a 80-100 mile wide band of precip with a narrow area of pretty strong returns.

This probably goes without saying for the astute follower of festivities today ... But, the first of the two systems slated for next weekend is still over the Pacific. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen in the past where you have two system 3 days apart and the first of the two ends up dominant. I'm just mentioning this because should the first system relay in off the eastern Pacific an order of magnitude stronger than what you have is a complete breakdown of the current thinking regarding the evolution of synoptics over next weekend to say the least. It would probably mean a closing stronger system from the MA to NE, and the 2nd system would then suffer dynamic starvation - it would also probably shear some because the lead system would change the orientation of the geopotential medium - so yeah, basically the lead became dominant.

Just have to monitor what gets relayed and see how the models do or don't change that lead system when it enters the denser sounding grid over land. That's about 72 hours away for the first of the 2 systems.

Scooter I am confused, ens are west, hpc says they may need to adjust west, yet tip and others said the trends were great?

Well he was referring to the trends of a stronger first low and also the fact that the system in the Midwest was actually digging a little and thus possibly helping in cyclogenesis further south.

Honestly, we're too far out to really care at this point. It's going to depend heavily on what happens with storm 1 as John just outlined. My gut says probably a snow to rain mess imby, but that's awfully preliminary. Could it go west...absolutely, but one at a time here. Lets see how the 1st storm goes in the upcoming days.

Well he was referring to the trends of a stronger first low and also the fact that the system in the Midwest was actually digging a little and thus possibly helping in cyclogenesis further south.

Honestly, we're too far out to really care at this point. It's going to depend heavily on what happens with storm 1 as John just outlined. My gut says probably a snow to rain mess imby, but that's awfully preliminary. Could it go west...absolutely, but one at a time here. Lets see how the 1st storm goes in the upcoming days.

its a clipper its a clipper ........................

That I'm not sure of...I thought that was typical of the GFS. I am sure Scott or Tip can answer that.

I THINK, but am not positive, that this is a characteristic of all model ensembles, as a result of there being a limit to the westward extent of lower pressures but not to the south and east.

So the distribution of low pressure disturbances on the ensembles might look like this:

post-128-0-85625700-1291586685.gif

Where the maximum (given by the red dot) is the model consensus. However, the average of this function is actually a little to the right of the consensus:

post-128-0-42116500-1291586816.gif

I THINK, but am not positive, that this is a characteristic of all model ensembles, as a result of there being a limit to the westward extent of lower pressures but not to the south and east.

So the distribution of low pressure disturbances on the ensembles might look like this:

post-128-0-85625700-1291586685.gif

Where the maximum (given by the red dot) is the model consensus. However, the average of this function is actually a little to the right of the consensus:

post-128-0-42116500-1291586816.gif

Probably also related to the grid resolution of the ensembles as well. Better resolution can sometimes lead to more amplification. This actually all might be related to what you are saying as well.

Archived