• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June 11-12 storm and rain talk

Ian

It's mostly urban myth. I found that study for you, I actually suggest everyone to read it, if anything it's really interesting.

http://journals.amet...5/BAMS-86-3-341

You must not know many people from Norman....they sound just like most of the people on this board...when in reality they just don't know how good they have it.

And what is great about this study is that DC was one of the focus areas.

I'll take a look. I'm sure it's mostly psychological... Most people that get missed by convection which is often broken don't even pay attention enough to notice.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a look. I'm sure it's mostly psychological... Most people that get missed by convection which is often broken don't even pay attention enough to notice.

Exactly, we tend to remember the let down better than the jackpot.

Now you can make an argument that there are urban effects related to convection, but those relationships are not clear cut and are very much an area of active research.

Here's a recent study by a group at Purdue, who found observational and modeling-based evidence that there was a distinct urban effect on convection:

I don't have AMS access at home, and based on the abstract I couldn't tell if they found that the urban effects lead to increased/decreased storm strength, but it does specifically say that the structure was more likely to be altered as it moved over the urban areas than other storms that moved over rural areas.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2010JAMC1836.1?journalCode=apme

0.10" from an afternoon storm here brought me to a half-an-inch for the weekend. Best thing was Saturday's and today's storms featured some heavy downpours. Good root-soaking for the veggies.

83/65 so far today, but DP is 61 with 73 degrees right now. Might challenge the 65 low before midnight.

missed every storm here in Boyce this month. just a trace for june and the december sod installed it mostly brown.

no mowing for another week at least and lots of watering the new landscaping.

.88 out at my cabin in WV with several stronger storms going north and south

will take the windows open and AC off for a few days

It's a throwback reference to Weather53/Dadkind, who had this to say on the 40S forum:

One of the region's respected forecasters (Weather53 on Eastern; Dadkind on 40S), has a pet theory that the supposed increased use of ethanol in the DC area causes precipitation to weaken/disappear when it approaches the beltway.

Thanks for the explanation!

One of the region's respected forecasters (Weather53 on Eastern; Dadkind on 40S), has a pet theory that the supposed increased use of ethanol in the DC area causes precipitation to weaken/disappear when it approaches the beltway.

Your theory seems reasonable but using corn for fuel is the most retarded idea to ever be conceived, because it can cause food shortages if the demand is too high. Good way to kill two birds with one stone is to simply stop using ethanol.

Your theory seems reasonable but using corn for fuel is the most retarded idea to ever be conceived, because it can cause food shortages if the demand is too high. Good way to kill two birds with one stone is to simply stop using ethanol.

To be clear, this is not my theory. I've yet to see any empirical data to support Wx53's theory, and I've found no support for the claim that the use of ethanol in DC is significantly higher than in other metro areas.

To be clear, this is not my theory. I've yet to see any empirical data to support Wx53's theory, and I've found no support for the claim that the use of ethanol in DC is significantly higher than in other metro areas.

it's good there arent many people in the northern plains since every station serves an ethanol mixture -- potential angry chasers if storms are randomly dying

• 1 year later...

Archived