e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 11-12 storm and rain talk

Ian

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everyone gets split sometimes.. Dc gets split every time.. Just about.

There is no observational basis for a DC split.

See below study, it is recent (published this year) and is an analysis of warm season convection over the NE US as a function of radar and cloud-to-ground lightning.

dendrite.somas.stonybrook.edu/Presentations/Colleetal_WAF2011.ppt

There is no observational basis for a DC split.

See below study, it is recent (published this year) and is an analysis of warm season convection over the NE US as a function of radar and cloud-to-ground lightning.

dendrite.somas.stonybrook.edu/Presentations/Colleetal_WAF2011.ppt

cool..

cool..

I know it's nice what we can do with long observational records of radar/lightning now. I also remember an article in BAMS several years back which was titled something like "Do Thunderstorms Avoid Meteorologists?", basically addressing the myths perpetrating from areas which have large meteorologist populations (i.e. DC, Norman) but I can't track it down.

I know it's nice what we can do with long observational records of radar/lightning now. I also remember an article in BAMS several years back which was titled something like "Do Thunderstorms Avoid Meteorologists?", basically addressing the myths perpetrating from areas which have large meteorologist populations (i.e. DC, Norman) but I can't track it down.

I'm well aware it's at least partly urban myth.. But still, sometimes...

Norman area also has highest per capita tornadoes... So storms must not miss all mets. ;)

I'm well aware it's at least partly urban myth.. But still, sometimes...

Norman area also has highest per capita tornadoes... So storms must not miss all mets. ;)

It's mostly urban myth. I found that study for you, I actually suggest everyone to read it, if anything it's really interesting.

http://journals.amet...5/BAMS-86-3-341

You must not know many people from Norman....they sound just like most of the people on this board...when in reality they just don't know how good they have it.

And what is great about this study is that DC was one of the focus areas.

Archived