• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 11-12 storm and rain talk

Ian

Maybe the front will drive an unbroken line of storms from HSB to ROA right through us. Everyone wins.

The big lines have been elusive lately. I remember them being more common years ago.

The cold pool kinda screwed us in the DC area yesterday. Today might be more widespread activitywise locally.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today Chance of Rain > Yesterday's chance of rain. IMHO.

EDIT: Distinction: Rain not severe.

perhaps, tho it rained a lot more than many thought it (dismissing the nam output) would y-day, just not here. usually we do decent with a front/trough combo tho.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

109 PM EDT SUN JUN 12 2011

MDZ010-011-014-121745-

HOWARD MD-ANNE ARUNDEL MD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE MD-

109 PM EDT SUN JUN 12 2011

...STRONG THUNDERSTORM TO AFFECT HOWARD...ANNE ARUNDEL AND SOUTHERN

BALTIMORE COUNTIES...

AT 109 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A STRONG THUNDERSTORM OVER

PUMPHREY...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE FERNDALE...GLEN BURNIE...GREEN HAVEN...

PASADENA...RIVERIA BEACH...RIVERDALE...FORT SMALLWOOD STATE PARK...

LAKE SHORE...CHELSEA BEACH AND CAPE ARTHUR.

HEAVY RAIN WITH THIS STORM MAY REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE MILE

AND MAY CAUSE PONDING OF WATER ON ROADWAYS.

SMALL HAIL CAN BE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.

I miss those. Seems like we haven't had one in a while.

Even if they weren't always super severe it always used to feel like we'd get at least 5-8 per year of just solid strong storm lines rolling through. Maybe it has to do soemwhat with some teleconnection not favoring that type of storm mode. Who knows.

Even if they weren't always super severe it always used to feel like we'd get at least 5-8 per year of just solid strong storm lines rolling through. Maybe it has to do soemwhat with some teleconnection not favoring that type of storm mode. Who knows.

I've been wondering about that for years. It did happen all the time. Especially in the 80's. Narrow but very long lines used to sweep through alot. Great to watch. Dark line with yellow or green sky behind it. Big winds before the rain and lightening. The wind would start off hot and then the rain cooled stuff following up. The temp would drop almost 10 degrees in 10 minutes.

I agree. It made you feel like it was severe weather season instead of these little pop up storms recently.

From the watch:

DISCUSSION...THUNDERSTORMS ARE STRENGTHENING ALONG THE COLD FRONT IN PA...AND ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS BEGINNING FARTHER TO THE S/SW OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN AND IN THE OPEN WARM SECTOR. STRONG SURFACE HEATING IS SUPPORTING MLCAPE VALUES OF 1500-2000 J/KG...WHILE VERTICAL SHEAR IS SUFFICIENT FOR ORGANIZED CLUSTERS FROM NRN VA INTO PA. FARTHER S...THE ENVIRONMENT IS MORE FAVORABLE FOR PULSE TYPE SEVERE STORMS WITH DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS...GIVEN THE WEAKER VERTICAL SHEAR AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES. DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE MAIN SEVERE THREAT...THOUGH MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THE STRONGER STORMS.

From the watch:

DISCUSSION...THUNDERSTORMS ARE STRENGTHENING ALONG THE COLD FRONT IN PA...AND ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS BEGINNING FARTHER TO THE S/SW OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN AND IN THE OPEN WARM SECTOR. STRONG SURFACE HEATING IS SUPPORTING MLCAPE VALUES OF 1500-2000 J/KG...WHILE VERTICAL SHEAR IS SUFFICIENT FOR ORGANIZED CLUSTERS FROM NRN VA INTO PA. FARTHER S...THE ENVIRONMENT IS MORE FAVORABLE FOR PULSE TYPE SEVERE STORMS WITH DAMAGING DOWNBURSTS...GIVEN THE WEAKER VERTICAL SHEAR AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES. DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE MAIN SEVERE THREAT...THOUGH MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THE STRONGER STORMS.

High/Moderate for wind probs.

I haven't had a chance to look at the models much Ian, is the line the supposed first round or second?

I think that stuff that popped to the east and is now rolling toward the bay was technically round 1. The stuff coming out of the mountains ins round 2 I would think.

Archived