Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 11-12 storm and rain talk

Ian

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LWX updated morning AFD seems to agree with that... saying the mesoscale models support/have two separate rounds. Though quick question, what is meant by this sentence:

"The new 12Z NAM has a strong mean layer H85-H7 UVV at 21z oriented N-S along the I-95 corridor"

I guess squall line?

I'm predicting a fail for today after what just happened to me -

Went to drink the rest of the milk out of my cereal bowl and the bowl proceeded to flip and soak into my pants with milk. Horrible sensation.

haha good thing i had 2 fudge rounds before work at 6 this morning. youngin like me working at 6, phew needed that sugar a bit. Btw like the looks of the HRRR 2 to 3 rounds shown. Would love to see it happen, and good to see sterling wit a little entusiasmo.

haha good thing i had 2 fudge rounds before work at 6 this morning. youngin like me working at 6, phew needed that sugar a bit. Btw like the looks of the HRRR 2 to 3 rounds shown. Would love to see it happen, and good to see sterling wit a little entusiasmo.

No arguments there. Although we've seen plenty of times where Sterling is on board and we fail. Plus - corn fumes are something to bet on every time.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1193 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1103 AM CDT SUN JUN 12 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE ERN W VA PNHDL...S CNTRL PA...CNTRL MD AND NRN VA CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE VALID 121603Z - 121730Z STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE DURING THE NEXT FEW HOURS...AND MAY IMPACT AREAS NEAR/EAST OF CHARLOTTESVILLE... NORTHWARD THROUGH WASHINGTON D.C./BALTIMORE...AND HARRISBURG/ LANCASTER...DURING THE 18-21Z TIME FRAME. THE SEVERE THREAT MAY BE A BIT MARGINAL...BUT TRENDS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED. THUNDERSTORMS ARE BEGINNING TO INITIATE NEAR THE ALLEGHENY MOUNTAINS...NEAR OR JUST AHEAD OF A SLOWLY SOUTHEASTWARD ADVANCING COLD FRONT. WEAKLY DIFLUENT AND DIVERGENT UPPER FLOW ON THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF A MID/UPPER CLOSED LOW MIGRATING EAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION MAY BE CONTRIBUTING TO DEVELOPMENT... WHICH APPEARS LIKELY TO PERSIST AND INCREASE FURTHER INTO THE AFTERNOON HOURS. ALTHOUGH COOL SURFACE RIDGING EXTENDING SOUTHWARD INTO NORTHERN MID ATLANTIC COASTAL AREAS MAY BE SLOW MODIFY...SURFACE HEATING AND WEAK MOIST UPSLOPE FLOW ALONG THE EASTERN SLOPES OF THE ALLEGHENIES SOUTHWARD INTO THE VICINITY OF THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO STEEPENING LAPSE RATES AND BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZATION. AS A RESULT...STRONGEST CONVECTION APPEARS LIKELY TO DEVELOP SOUTHEASTWARD ALONG AND SOUTH OF AN EFFECTIVE WARM FRONTAL ZONE TOWARD THE CHESAPEAKE BAY REGION. GUIDANCE IS SUGGESTIVE THAT RELATIVELY WARM MID-LEVEL TEMPERATURES WILL LIMIT CAPE TO RELATIVELY MODEST VALUES OF 1500 TO 2000 J/KG...GREATEST NEAR SURFACE TROUGHING EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE...PERHAPS AS FAR NORTH AS THE WASHINGTON D.C./BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN AREAS. SO STORM INTENSIFICATION MAY NOT BE PARTICULARLY RAPID...BUT STRENGTHENING OF 500 MB FLOW TO AROUND 30 KT ON THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF THE STRONGER WESTERLIES MAY INCREASE VERTICAL SHEAR SUFFICIENTLY TO SUPPORT AN UPSCALE CONVECTIVE GROWTH INTO AN ORGANIZING STORM CLUSTER. THIS COULD EVENTUALLY YIELD A STRONG ENOUGH COLD POOL TO SUPPORT A RISK FOR POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. OTHERWISE...FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING IN THE STRONGER CELLS MAY BE THE PRIMARY HAZARD.

Maybe the front will drive an unbroken line of storms from HSB to ROA right through us. Everyone wins.

The big lines have been elusive lately. I remember them being more common years ago.

Clearly, the la nina is still affecting the weather pattern.

Archived