Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
DC/MD/VA/WV General Obs/Disc - June/early July 2011 edition

Ellinwood

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS still digging the idea of a tropical system in the Gulf mid/late next week. Quite a bit more generous with the precip for the next few days than the NAM and keeps us out of the 90s (if you're in DC or points north).

Been watching that tropical surge for awhile... could help out a LOT of people currently in drought conditions (in our region and all along the Gulf basin).

I was pretty worried about the weather today at the US Open, but the day actually turned out really well. It rained a bit in the morning while we were on the 50 minute shuttle bus (25mins, yea right!). Then it was party cloudy with a nice breeze all day. Had the clouds cleared out you could tell it was going to get toasty. Then just as I was leaving around 6:50PM it started to rain again.

Showers and thunderstorms came through during the late evening hours putting down 0.31". We needed that. The ground had been dry for the past two weeks.

A strong gust front came through just before the rain last evening while at my son's basaball game. It picked up dust from the infield creating a mini dust storm. It was interesting watching it come at us. You could hear it roaring through the trees across the park area. It picked up patio umbrellas at the nearby county pool lifting some of them up to tree top level. It had a lot of folks scrambling for their cars. Prior to that it had been a pleasant evening.

Damn two rainfalls events in the burg today, a very light one around 3pm or so and then we got a heavy thunderstorm around 730 tonight or so. Good loud thunder and lightning in the Broadlands of Ashburn where I was.

A few pics prior to the storm and then the driving rain we had in ashburn

We just got home from a weekend trip and noticed that my Davis station recorded 3.20" of rain between 12:30AM and 3:20AM early this morning. The CocoRAHS gauge had 3.28" in it. It looks like most of it fell between 1:30 and 2:30 AM. That had to be a gully washer for sure. The little creek that flows through the neighborhood had wood debris well out of its banks where you can see the high water mark. Looking at the radar archive looks like a line setup over my area and trained for a while.

Another overnight............Another potentially heavy rain event. How many nights has this been now? Last night? The night before that one? Maybe even the night before?

A developing low interacting with a stalled out frontal boundary draped over yours truly will develop showers/thundershowers, some very heavy. What else is new.

Grass is growing like a weed. This is unbelievable.

Upcoming week ---- MORE BROILING JULY HEAT -- OH wait!! It's still only JUNE lol - Highs in the mid/upper 90s with dewpoints near 70-74.

Archived