Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Severe Weather Threat Friday?

weatherwiz

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No question Wiz is the inverse of JI :) The JI of Northeast severe wx chances....

Its easy to be optimistic in winter and pessimistic in summer...opposite seasons here with generally opposite results in potential. Severe season is for us like hoping for big snowstorms in Virginia...pessimism usually wins out.

Today is kind of annoying because we have adequate shear and very good instability with steep ML lapse rates, but getting screwed by subsidence.

severe events by their nature screw most people most of the time. They're very isolated. Even widespread events leave 95% of people with nothing other than a good light show.

Winter events are different because they drop snow over a huge chunk of real estate.

Working and covering an entire area I find svr events fun even if I don't even see a bolt of lightning while areas 40 miles away in our viewing area are getting smacked by golf balls.

I'm also spoiled from my times in Texas. Its hard to get up for a 50 dbz pulser with dime sized hail after experiencing severe wx out there.

But I'll stop complaining about today. It just sucks to waste very high ML lapse rates which are often a problem for us in events. Subsidence is definitely ruling the afternoon for most of us.

I'm also spoiled from my times in Texas. Its hard to get up for a 50 dbz pulser with dime sized hail after experiencing severe wx out there.

But I'll stop complaining about today. It just sucks to waste very high ML lapse rates which are often a problem for us in events. Subsidence is definitely ruling the afternoon for most of us.

Even last year was pretty wild for us in CT. Felt like we were doing tornado or severe coverage all the time last summer. If an event is a bust if you don't get severe in your town then most summers will be busts in SNE lol

Even last year was pretty wild for us in CT. Felt like we were doing tornado or severe coverage all the time last summer. If an event is a bust if you don't get severe in your town then most summers will be busts in SNE lol

CT had a decent year last year. We haven't had a good season in MA probably since 2005 or 2006. 2008 was half decent I guess. Storms in Fairfield county won't generate excitement for most of us up here.

CT had a decent year last year. We haven't had a good season in MA probably since 2005 or 2006. 2008 was half decent I guess. Storms in Fairfield county won't generate excitement for most of us up here.

lol true. And if I didn't work at the TV station I probably couldn't care less about them.

The year before was good too. We tend to just get lucky... particularly the western half of the state up into Berkshire County. Marginal days can produce west of the CT River it seems thinks have to be more "perfect" east of there.

July (I think) of 2008 I got to be in 2 hailers within a half hour of each other on the Mass Pike. Nickel sized hail...

Get yourself to Central Ave west ....it splits off Washington Ave as you go west...and there is a McDs along Central on the south side of the road a few miles west as you get toward the neighboring suburb of Colonie.... Eventually Central will take you right to I-87 (the Northway)

It will end up with nary a cell and Paul will be sitting in a strip bar with a handful of ones asking if they have free wi-fi.

We will. We always have a handful of these steep lapse rate/high instability days that go to waste with a miserable ridge that refuses to buckle.

Well I mean good lapse rates like these overhead. I don't recall at one point last summer where we had 8C/Km or better. It's usually 6C/KM crap that is leftover taint from convection in the southeast or Great Lakes.

Archived