wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe Weather Threat Friday?

weatherwiz

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my random thoughts on severe potential as CCNet noted...crap for lift..just like yesterday..

• As for severe threat IMO somewhat similar to yesterday's, that is storms and clusters exhibit a SW to NE motion.Training flooding concerns. Wind threat main concern, too especially in any collapsing cells or short lines that may form. Since little W-E flow, development of storms will be tied to local heating, timing of any weak low and ML vorts. WRF and GFS seem to favor CNY and E-CNY west of HV of NYS. HV points east to WNE could see some pulse type or multicell clusters but activity will be localized here due to like yesterday very weak if any forcing.
      Things start earlier today too noon-2pm and end sooner too by 8-10Pm. That's my take for the moment.

• If the low moving across NY were not filling, the EML would come into play more IMO..shear also less than yesterday closer to 30kts not shabby but not as high as yesterday's. looking at ALY's 12z RAOB the Convective temp is very high 31.8 C, like yesterday No CAP persay but it is near O or slightly positive as opposed to yesterday's totally UNCAPPED airmass. Again if we had any forcing of merit yesterday would have been huge.
      Waiting on 12z WRF to fine tune things but I'm not too enthused. Severe yes but not widespread stuff.
    • The ALB raob still has pretty decent shear EHI is 2.2 (0-2KM) modifying it with an 83/65 TT/DP CAPE is around 1995 j/kg. LI -6.8 BRN 14 (14-21 is usually HIGH for Supercells). There is a small jet streak on GFS and UK moves just south of CD..thinking BERK may be a good spot today after all. LCL ariound 1200 meters lower than yesterday.
      • Disregarding WRF its fooked up on the frontal boundary placement across NY going with GF
        • Looking at RUC now Conv temps not as low as actually sounding says...still think nonn to 2pm across HV looks good for storms. FCST HODO's do support potential discrete cells, too

[*]Still not overly impressed with widespread severe potential but then again I wasn't too right yesterday so confidence today isn't exactly high 'cause its bruised

I wish we had a strong enough boundary around here. If an isolated storm were to pop..look out.

Even if we get one cell to pop over the Berkshires... watch out. I'm a bit worried that we'll be able to maintain the updrafts though given relatively dry soundings and little/if any synoptic scale ascent.

Even if we get one cell to pop over the Berkshires... watch out. I'm a bit worried that we'll be able to maintain the updrafts though given relatively dry soundings and little/if any synoptic scale ascent.

CAPE profile off the actually sounding and forecast ones from the RUC are a bit "shoelace" like Ryan..it will be tough. MVV are not as high as yesterday's were too only around 7-8 this aftn...While it is possible I think it will tough for updrafts to be maintained.

CAPE profile off the actually sounding and forecast ones from the RUC are a bit "shoelace" like Ryan..it will be tough. MVV are not as high as yesterday's were too only around 7-8 this aftn...While it is possible I think it will tough for updrafts to be maintained.

shoelace? never heard that before

Yeah updraft maintenance is going to be tough without height falls/pva.

Question here... could we see a similar situation to what happened yesterday in VT and NNH just shifted further south?

I could see something like that where SNH and VT gets into that firehose of nasty cells when CT MA and RI are left with a nice sunset with tall thunderstorm clouds off in the distance .. at least for my sake that's what I hope...

Will this be a line or isolated severe if anything forms?

Thoughts?

shoelace? never heard that before

Yeah updraft maintenance is going to be tough without height falls/pva.

Shear will weaken a bit throughout the day, but 40-50kts at 500mb combined with good CAPE seems fine to me. I have a feeling storms will propagate from their own cold pools and move east which will help as far as updraft maintenance goes. I could see that training scenario that Andy brought in upstate NY where storm orientation may turn more sw-ne...almost like a pseudo warm front orientation.

Shear will weaken a bit throughout the day, but 40-50kts at 500mb combined with good CAPE seems fine to me. I have a feeling storms will propagate from their own cold pools and move east which will help as far as updraft maintenance goes. I could see that training scenario that Andy brought in upstate NY where storm orientation may turn more sw-ne...almost like a pseudo warm front orientation.

That's why I like the Berkshires... they seem to have the best CAPE/Shear combination today.

it may ultimately just wash out, but there does appear to be a small boundary running NE to SW from like the DXR region through the lower hudson valley. looks like the remnants of the overnight marine influence, slightly lower Tds and a SE flow on the southerly side of the line (also seems to be demarcated by a thinning line of stratus on vis sat). grasping for straws maybe but who knows, perhaps that helps feed anything that tries to get going in the lower HV area.

Archived