• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Threat Friday?

weatherwiz

Yeah it has Berkshire/Litchfield County special written all over it while ORH gets some cirrus from the anvil lol

It does look interesting for that PA/NY State area into western NE. That's usually the climo spot in these setups. I think my only shot in the next week is if we can get some sort of nw flow stuff shooting out of Ontario and NY state. Sad when that's your hope because it's clearly not a lock, but at least the chance might be there.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look interesting for that PA/NY State area into western NE. That's usually the climo spot in these setups. I think my only shot in the next week is if we can get some sort of nw flow stuff shooting out of Ontario and NY state. Sad when that's your hope because it's clearly not a lock, but at least the chance might be there.

I think the svr threat in the next 7-10 days is definitely there. Jet stream is nearby with big ridge to the south. Normally a decent setup for us this time of year.

I do not think the heat will blaze next week. It will probably get warm, esp compared to what we have had. With the cool SSTs and maritime influence of late Spring lurking and wnw flow, which will inevitably bring overnight early AM convection if not debris clouds, usually guidnace is too warm esp D7 and beyond.

Fri SNE will be relying on dynamics and maybe a cold pool or something like that, to maintain convection late enough at night and far enough east. The SW or SSW? flow should is not going to help, climo sucks.

Next Tues/Wed will probably be the better shot for strong or maybe severe storms, at least for most areas.

No kidding right? But this is the problem with living in the northeast. We have to grasp at straws for severe weather.

It's stupid to compare one regions weather to another.

I'm sure people who live in the huge mountain ranges in the west laugh at us during our winter storms...many of these places probably get in one week then what ANYONE in New England averages in a winter.

18z GFS soundings still showing an EML look!

Almost all EML events in SNE and the Northeast have west-northwest to northwest flow. While the lapse rates on the model you showed looked decent, I don't think it was truly representative of an EML advecting aloft from the high NM/MX desert. We see those in that type of flow since the EML doesn't get contaminated from antecedent convection due to strong ridging to the southwest and it is actually adiabatically enhanced through downward vertical motion near the ridge.

It's stupid to compare one regions weather to another.

I'm sure people who live in the huge mountain ranges in the west laugh at us during our winter storms...many of these places probably get in one week then what ANYONE in New England averages in a winter.

The difference is nobody lives at 10,000 feet in the mountains out west. There's actual big populous areas getting real severe wx.

I'd rather see the ridge centered further south during next week to tap into some MCS potential. Ohio Valley ridges with negative height anomalies in Ontario and Quebec ftw

Yeah the EC depiction is too amped up a ridge for us. It blows chunks. It does look like it would produce a decent event when the front comes through late Wednesday in NNE.

EML's seem like a nowcast thing around here. I've seen them modeled...only go to crap, thanks to latent heat release from prior convection. Hopefully we see something interesting.

yes, they are certainly more modeled than come to fruition. Same thing further west in NYS. This pattern forecast is definitely a pattern favorable for EML advection, though. My bet is that we will see EML a few days next week, but it has to occur at the right time with the trigger on Wednesday. Stout ridge in the Ohio Valley and a Rockies trough will typically allow the EML to advect on the northern edge of the ridge.

yes, they are certainly more modeled than come to fruition. Same thing further west in NYS. This pattern forecast is definitely a pattern favorable for EML advection, though. My bet is that we will see EML a few days next week, but it has to occur at the right time with the trigger on Wednesday. Stout ridge in the Ohio Valley and a Rockies trough will typically allow the EML to advect on the northern edge of the ridge.

Yeah I agree..it's an EML type pattern, we'll just have to work on timing.

Archived