Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Threat Friday?

weatherwiz

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head West Wizzy!!!!!

Mesoscale Discussion 979< Previous MD mcd0979.gif MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0979 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1055 AM CDT THU MAY 26 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL PA INTO UPSTATE NY CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY VALID 261555Z - 261730Z STRONG BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING IS OCCURRING OVER MUCH OF PA AND NY WELL AHEAD OF PRIMARY FORCING ASSOCIATED WITH UPPER TROUGH OVER THE OH VALLEY. IN THE ABSENCE OF SIGNIFICANT CLOUD COVER IT APPEARS VERY STEEP LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL SOON CONTRIBUTE TO DEEP BOUNDARY LAYER THERMALS AND WITH TIME A MATURING CU FIELD THAT SHOULD LEAD TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT...ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN FROM CNTRL PA INTO UPSTATE NY. ADDITIONALLY...DEEP LAYER SHEAR PROFILES FAVOR SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT AND LOW LEVEL MOISTURE IS SUCH THAT ISOLATED TORNADOES MAY ACCOMPANY THE MORE ORGANIZED CELLS. VERY LARGE HAIL MAY ALSO BE NOTED GIVEN THE INSTABILITY OBSERVED. THIS ENVIRONMENT IS BECOMING INCREASINGLY FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE DEVELOPMENT AND A TORNADO WATCH MAY BE ISSUED BY 18Z.

bring me, bring me!

We could do this!

Not 100% sure yet if were going but when I get back from my game were going to look at things and see.

Looks like if anything were to come into the NW corner of the state it would be between 8-10 PM or so...should at least be a good amount of lightning. Can't rule out the potential for some strong or severe with it.

bring me, bring me!

We could do this!

Not 100% sure yet if were going but when I get back from my game were going to look at things and see.

Looks like if anything were to come into the NW corner of the state it would be between 8-10 PM or so...should at least be a good amount of lightning. Can't rule out the potential for some strong or severe with it.

:weenie: :weenie:

Upton has one between 750 and 650mb and another between 600mb and 500mb. The temperature profile is nearly parallel to the dry adiabat in those layers. The dry adiabats are the green lines that run from the right bottom to the top left.

Elevated mixed layers are correlated with significant/major severe weather outbreaks in the NE. They enhance updraft potential through steep lapse rates and greater instability and increase downdraft potential due to the very dry air. This air has likely advected relatively uncontaminated from the high deserts of the SW US and northern MX. That layer can also serve as a cap to keep convection at bay until it breaks through lift in the mid to late afternoon causing more explosive convection initiation.

It doesn't look too bad tomorrow...it would be nicer if the dynamics were a little stronger, but we should probably see our first severe storms in SNE of the season. Probably marginal severe hail would be the main thing.

How far east do you think the storms get tomorrow?

It looks like they could get to around my area, maybe a little further, its a close call. But they'll probably die quickly after that. W MA into VT and NH def look like the better spots.

It looks like they could get to around my area, maybe a little further, its a close call. But they'll probably die quickly after that. W MA into VT and NH def look like the better spots.

I'll cross my fingers. Western MA and CT will get some action tonight anyway from that MCS in NJ/E NY. Steep lapse rates and good elevated instability and modest shear should maintain it for a few more hours.

I'll cross my fingers. Western MA and CT will get some action tonight anyway from that MCS in NJ/E NY. Steep lapse rates and good elevated instability and modest shear should maintain it for a few more hours.

I wish that thing had a more easterly component. I love nocturnal thunderstorms that give a good light show

Archived