Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 16-17 storm obs/discussion

Ian

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better tune up your lawnmowers - Grass is gonna grow like a weed - and more rain is already on tap for mid week and next weekend.

My yard is a quagmire with puddles of rainwater. Grass has already grown another half inch. Too bad for my neighbors who have not even mowed their lawns yet - some of their lawns are near 6 inches tall and the ground is sodden. Try pushing a lawnmower thru tall grass with mud underneath is a bytch as the mower wheels will sink into the mud and the mower will bog down and shut off. I've been there - Done that. It truly sucks. Yesterday I did the first mowing on my lawn, mowed it down to three quarters of an inch to get rid of dead grass. No tall grass on my lawn ----------- Until midweek or late week, and EVEN MORE RAIN is on the way. We are in a VERY WET pattern right thru early May.

2.45" in 12 hours, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 2.07" of that in five hours after 3 p.m. Closing in on 5" for half of April, after 5"+ in March. 12" in the past 8 weeks.

I walked most of my yard at twilight and found only a few high spots that didn't have puddles in the grass. Can't recall when I've seen the ground that wet.

I just rushed outside into the front yard - wanted to find out just how hard it was raining. Well, I found out all right. The rain is coming down.

In my excitement to check out the rainfall, I forgot to turn on the porch light and I walked right into the big pool of rainwater on my front lawn. I didn't see it - it's dark out there and I don't have a streetlight. My shoes are SOAKED in COLD, 53 degree rainwater. geeze. That's just great.axesmiley.png

just got a chance to look at the reports today...I think you owe SPC an apology for questioning their high risk

lots of energy rounding the base of the trough, here to the carolinas in a pretty perfect spot for convection to be abundant

just got a chance to look at the reports today...I think you owe SPC an apology for questioning their high risk

Reading comprehension seems to continually get you hung up.

Sonofabiotch. I go out to dinner with some friends the one time and a possible tornado was sighted here or at least on radar and I was in assburn. :facepalm:

Everything looked on the south side of town driving back from ashburn tonight, though when I got the alert on my phone, I turned around and peered out the window and windswept heavy rains and some good lightning was going on there. I only saw two reports of damage out here, maybe more will turn up in the morning. I am wondering how those pop tents at the flower and garden show downtown held up with the winds tonight. will be interesting to see tomorrow morning when we head over there

1.73" in the bucket since midnight. Perfect for our clay yard. :arrowhead:

I dont know, I am becoming more of a severe fan then snow I think, even though it doesnt last as long as a snowstorm it is pretty interesting stuff. Nah, snow will always be #1 in my book wx wise

Earlier thoughts about storm in Stuarts Draft, VA in the shenandoah valley were spot on

EF 1 Tornado ripped thru there this afternoon confirmed

0225 PM TORNADO 2 WSW STUARTS DRAFT 38.01N 79.07W

04/16/2011 AUGUSTA VA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO CONFIRMED EF-1. MAX WINDS 95 MPH. MAX PATH

WIDTH 300 YRDS. PATH LENGTH 4 MILES. NUMEROUS TREES

SNAPPED. SEVERAL BARNS DEMOLISHED.

93 reports of severe wx/tornados today from Md, Dc, VA, Nc and SC so far counted up. Pretty impressive outbreak

There were at least 100 torn reports on SPC earlier, though without scrubbing for dupes I dunno how many that ends up.

Earlier thoughts about storm in Stuarts Draft, VA in the shenandoah valley were spot on

EF 1 Tornado ripped thru there this afternoon confirmed

0225 PM TORNADO 2 WSW STUARTS DRAFT 38.01N 79.07W

04/16/2011 AUGUSTA VA NWS STORM SURVEY

TORNADO CONFIRMED EF-1. MAX WINDS 95 MPH. MAX PATH

WIDTH 300 YRDS. PATH LENGTH 4 MILES. NUMEROUS TREES

SNAPPED. SEVERAL BARNS DEMOLISHED.

My mom took these this afternoon. The tornado was about 1.5 to 2 miles WSW of my sister's house and one of the barns destroyed belongs to a friend's grandfather.

4a6edbed-68f3-9570.jpg

4a6edbed-6913-21fb.jpg

I dont know, I am becoming more of a severe fan then snow I think, even though it doesnt last as long as a snowstorm it is pretty interesting stuff. Nah, snow will always be #1 in my book wx wise

If you end your training now - if you choose the quick and easy cut and paste path as Yoda did - you will become an agent of evil.

Can't wait for Wednesday!

Sonofabiotch. I go out to dinner with some friends the one time and a possible tornado was sighted here or at least on radar and I was in assburn. :facepalm:

Everything looked on the south side of town driving back from ashburn tonight, though when I got the alert on my phone, I turned around and peered out the window and windswept heavy rains and some good lightning was going on there. I only saw two reports of damage out here, maybe more will turn up in the morning. I am wondering how those pop tents at the flower and garden show downtown held up with the winds tonight. will be interesting to see tomorrow morning when we head over there

1.73" in the bucket since midnight. Perfect for our clay yard. :arrowhead:

I thought you were starting to sound a little silly until the last line. Personally, I'm not a severe fan as I worry about my home. Yesterday's storms only gave me 1.09" and the storms didn't even take down any limbs that I can see.

Two possible tornado touchdowns are being investigated in Carroll County. One to the north of Westminster about 4 miles near Union Mills, and one to the south of Westminster about 8 miles closer to Taylorsville/Eldersberg. Nothing of significance in my own neighborhood but some definate tree and structure damage in those two places. Radar was bowing out over Westminster yesterday evening when all this was going on.

no reason why the storm near Isle of wright VA isn't TOR warned tight couplet

I don't understand it was TOR warned for like 20 mins then downgraded....now looks better then ever

oops..the couplet went almost right over the radar site but it was still there and tight a few minutes later when it moved into better range

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA

236 PM EDT MON APR 18 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0727 PM TORNADO 1 SW ISLE OF WIGHT 36.90N 76.72W

04/16/2011 ISLE OF WIGHT VA NWS STORM SURVEY

NWS STORM SURVEY DETERMINED DAMAGE CONSISTENT WITH AN

EF-2 TORNADO IN ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY. THE TORNADO DAMAGE

WAS ALONG A NEARLY CONTINUOUS DAMAGE PATH FROM EAST OF

WALTERS TO JUST WEST-NORTHWEST OF WINDSOR. A PRELIMINARY

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...INCLUDING ESTIMATION OF

WIND STRENGTH AND DAMAGE PATH...WILL BE COMPLETED AND

TRANSMITTED LATER TODAY OR EARLY TUESDAY.

NOUS41 KLWX 190013

PNSLWX

DCZ001-MDZ003>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-501-502-VAZ025>031-

036>040-042-050>057-501>504-WVZ050>053-055-501>506-191215-

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-

NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-

PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-

EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA-

ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON-

ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-WESTERN HIGHLAND-

EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-

WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-

WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

813 PM EDT MON APR 18 2011

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE/WASHINGTON FORECAST OFFICE

IS IN THE PROCESS OF REVIEWING ALL AVAILABLE DATA TO EVALUATE

NUMEROUS DAMAGE REPORTS FROM STORMS ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND

EVENING.

THUS FAR...TORNADOES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED IN AUGUSTA AND LOUDOUN

COUNTIES IN VIRGINIA...AND FREDERICK AND CARROLL COUNTIES IN

MARYLAND. PRELIMINARY STORM REPORTS HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR TORNADIC

DAMAGE EVALUATED TO DATE. DETAILS OF THESE SURVEYS WILL BE

RELEASED IN A PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT THIS WEEK UPON COMPLETE

REVIEW OF DATA...AND EVALUATION AND COMPILATION OF ALL DAMAGE

REPORTS...WHICH CONTINUE TO BE CONVEYED TO THE OFFICE.

$$

KRAMAR

Archived