• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best Snowstorm Of 2010-2011

Powerball

I agree with this from a non IMBY POV....just a spectacular phase, with some of the most exciting model watching I've ever experienced.

I am going to be different here and not vote for the best storm in my backyard. There is no doubt the Groundhogs Day storm had the greatest impact across a large area including a number of large metro areas. That storm was a great storm--1 in 10 year type event.

I agree with this from a non IMBY POV....just a spectacular phase, with some of the most exciting model watching I've ever experienced.

Totally agree--a very exciting storm to track--and it was even more exciting NOWcasting it as it was bombing out and deepening faster than progged. Had a lot of similar characteristics to East Coast bombs in terms of rapid self development. Not as exciting as the Christmas Boxing Day East Coast Nor'easter--but it was the best for Central/Western.

That I did not like from a IMBY POV!:P

Totally agree--a very exciting storm to track--and it was even more exciting NOWcasting it as it was bombing out and deepening faster than progged. Had a lot of similar characteristics to East Coast bombs in terms of rapid self development. Not as exciting as the Christmas Boxing Day East Coast Nor'easter--but it was the best for Central/Western.

Hmm, I thought maybe GHD gave you 6"....yep, pretty awful there, (You too LAF people!)

lol, I had been bitching so much about not getting a 6" storm for so long I didn't think you'd be surprised. :lol:

And from a non-imby perspective, yeah, GHD without a doubt. I forgot to add those graphics to that thread, but I'll get around to it this week.

Agreed, best 7-10 meteorological days I have been apart of followng that storm when it first showed up on the Euro.

The Feb 1-2 blizzard.... Kind of goes without saying.

I tracked the storm from the first moment I heard that it was heading this way, after the models showed it developing along the Gulf Coast and then heading up the EC... I was glued to my computer and this board for days, watching everything unfold. 5 days out we were hearing of the potential the storm had.

I remember 1978, and 1999, but I don't remember the National Weather Service, or the local TV mets back then, leading off their forecasts with "Potentially Dangerous and Life threatening blizzard....."

The storm was an awesome display of power, and an incredible experience. This storm had something that the others in the past didn't have, and that was the ability to track the storm, and watch as things developed, and keep track of where the heavy snow was going. It was pretty interesting to not only watch the snow fall, and blow around in the high winds, but to also see it on radar, and watch data on local weather sensors as they recorded wind gusts.

I kept a complete record of the storm, including photos, and an hour-by-hour recording of conditions from the start through the height of the storm. Now, when my kids get older, and they tell their children about the storm, they can pull out the record I created and read all about it.

My best "snowstorm" was mainly a sleet storm. :guitar:

True. :lol:

Other than that for MBY, I'd go with the Dec 12 LES/LES-enhanced event. Certainly not a huge amount of snow, but the rarity of it for LAF counts in a winter that we were heavily nickeled and dimed.

The Feb 1-2 blizzard.... Kind of goes without saying.

I tracked the storm from the first moment I heard that it was heading this way, after the models showed it developing along the Gulf Coast and then heading up the EC... I was glued to my computer and this board for days, watching everything unfold. 5 days out we were hearing of the potential the storm had.

I remember 1978, and 1999, but I don't remember the National Weather Service, or the local TV mets back then, leading off their forecasts with "Potentially Dangerous and Life threatening blizzard....."

The storm was an awesome display of power, and an incredible experience. This storm had something that the others in the past didn't have, and that was the ability to track the storm, and watch as things developed, and keep track of where the heavy snow was going. It was pretty interesting to not only watch the snow fall, and blow around in the high winds, but to also see it on radar, and watch data on local weather sensors as they recorded wind gusts.

I kept a complete record of the storm, including photos, and an hour-by-hour recording of conditions from the start through the height of the storm. Now, when my kids get older, and they tell their children about the storm, they can pull out the record I created and read all about it.

It will be the benchmark that all future big ones are compared to. I'm pretty confident i see more snow from a storm someday, but i doubt the full package of wind, thunder/hail and snow will ever be matched. I've had all kinds of derechos and what not blow through and knock down trees, but i've never lost power until the bllizzard. And it was a joy to track, especially since there were signs of a big one so far out.

December was a C- we had one storm of 4-7" and bunch of 1" killers

Janurary was an F up until the 12th then it was A- overall a B-

Feburary was an A+

March was a B

Overall: B+/B

Best Storm "for me" GHD blizzard storm of 11.0" second was feb 20/21st storm of 9.6" total of 73.0" about 19" (54") above average

Archived