EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Hoosier

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the NAM and GFS are on different planets regarding our temperature late Friday into Saturday. Both models show a surge of very warm air aloft during that period, with 850 temps up to 15C. However, while the GFS also surges the surface front north and brings in low 60s by Saturday morning and 70 by noon, the NAM keeps the surface front way south and has Iowa stuck in the 30s Saturday morning. I can't believe it would be that cold at the surface given the torch aloft.

Boy, the NAM and GFS are on different planets regarding our temperature late Friday into Saturday. Both models show a surge of very warm air aloft during that period, with 850 temps up to 15C. However, while the GFS also surges the surface front north and brings in low 60s by Saturday morning and 70 by noon, the NAM keeps the surface front way south and has Iowa stuck in the 30s Saturday morning. I can't believe it would be that cold at the surface given the torch aloft.

Yeah 15c at 850 I'd bet my house its not in the 30s at the surface, especially with WAA occurring.

Gotta love the bullseye with precip (todays rain in SE MI) just after the winter season. Never fails.

We were the bullseye for several snowfalls as well this winter (Feb 5, Feb 20). The thing is, this was by no means an "exciting" rain, it was just a steady, cold rain. Nothing heavy. Just very steady from about 5am-10pm. If it were a snowstorm, it would be one of those long duration snowstormns where visib never falls below 3/4 mile but throughout an entire day an appreciable amount of snow piles up.

Had 0.79" imby, exact match to DTW. Was at work so dont know if any snow mixed in, I guess Ill say no since DTW didnt report any. Actually, DTW didnt report sleet on Sunday as I did, or snow yesterday. So while Ive had two negligible trace events, they are officially at 0 on the month. How ironic for the 6th snowiest winter on record to have no measurable Nov/Apr snow (if that ends up the case..April has a LONG way to go).

We were the bullseye for several snowfalls as well this winter (Feb 5, Feb 20). The thing is, this was by no means an "exciting" rain, it was just a steady, cold rain. Nothing heavy. Just very steady from about 5am-10pm. If it were a snowstorm, it would be one of those long duration snowstormns where visib never falls below 3/4 mile but throughout an entire day an appreciable amount of snow piles up.

Had 0.79" imby, exact match to DTW. Was at work so dont know if any snow mixed in, I guess Ill say no since DTW didnt report any. Actually, DTW didnt report sleet on Sunday as I did, or snow yesterday. So while Ive had two negligible trace events, they are officially at 0 on the month. How ironic for the 6th snowiest winter on record to have no measurable Nov/Apr snow (if that ends up the case..April has a LONG way to go).

Feb 5 was a small compact storm and it was only 6 inches but i guess it was a bullseye. Also feb 20 we did well with 10 but 16-20 were reported in minnesota and upper midwest so we weren't in the bullseye. Either way was a damn good winter considering the dry spell from dec 12 to jan 12th and as you stated no snow in april/nov. Warm up already. Can't take many more days like today.

Feb 5 was a small compact storm and it was only 6 inches but i guess it was a bullseye. Also feb 20 we did well with 10 but 16-20 were reported in minnesota and upper midwest so we weren't in the bullseye. Either way was a damn good winter considering the dry spell from dec 12 to jan 12th and as you stated no snow in april/nov. Warm up already. Can't take many more days like today.

Yes, upper 30s and rain is about as bad a combo as you can get. Today (well as I type its 1205am, so yesterday)...125th anniversary of the most paralyzing snowstorm on record to strike Detroit.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/1886-1974.php

Models showing some really warm air aloft on Sunday with good mixing. Still a bit uncertain just how deep we will mix with current indications somewhere near 850 mb. My first guess for LAF is 86. If we can mix just a bit more, then upper 80's wouldn't be out of the question.

I also predict that we won't drop below 75 overnight Sunday until the storms hit.

If this happens it's just not right to have a big snowstorm in Mid April.:gun_bandana:

Btw, I was semi-joking with this comment, but in any event, the 15th is my 21st birthday, so a snowstorm in that time frame would make up for any previous misses this winter, just to see a surprise white birthday.

Going to bake on Sunday.

First call...

MKE 86

ORD 87

RFD 84

IND 85

VERY WARM AND HUMID AIRMASS EXPECTED TO

OVERSPREAD THE AREA WITH 850 TEMPS INTO THE TEENS. 12Z NAM SHOWS 23C

AT 925 MILLIBARS WITH NO PREFRONTAL CONVECTION. THIS TRANSLATES TO

TEMPS IN THE MID 80S.

And you guys thought I was off my rocker. Not trying to pat myself on the back here, but I think I at least deserve to be heard.

VERY WARM AND HUMID AIRMASS EXPECTED TO

OVERSPREAD THE AREA WITH 850 TEMPS INTO THE TEENS. 12Z NAM SHOWS 23C

AT 925 MILLIBARS WITH NO PREFRONTAL CONVECTION. THIS TRANSLATES TO

TEMPS IN THE MID 80S.

And you guys thought I was off my rocker. Not trying to pat myself on the back here, but I think I at least deserve to be heard.

:lol:

You should get your Met tag back.

Archived