• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
April 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Hoosier

Yeah I'm watching that system closely...could be a big snowstorm for the Upper Midwest and a severe weather set-up here in the Northeast. -EPO pattern is causing a strong Canadian high to build south and bring in the chilly air....still a pool of -30C 850s sitting over Baffin Island, so that could be an impressive cold shot for the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest after the torch.

NO GOOD!

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That scenario I talked about last week about some area in the Midwest getting a major severe weather outbreak, and then getting a 12 inch snowstorm the following week may just come to fruition for some areas north of me. Can you say April in Wisconsin? It is known to be an up and down month, but that would be taken to a new level.

How could anyone want snow after it got to 85 here today? I may have spent a grand total of 10 minutes inside all day. I want summer! :thumbsup:

I was at peace that we're not getting to 50"...but if it's going to be chilly with a system like this in the vicinity, we might as well go for it.

I'm expecting our temp progression tomorrow to be something like this

2 PM: 82

5 PM: 86

8 PM: 83

11 PM: 77

2 AM: 75

I doubt I'll be correct on the exact numbers but it should be close. Not gonna go past 2 AM since that's about the time our chances for storms really go up.

Hey I got one. 75 at 2 AM but dewpoint only 61 which is a little lower than progged.

Euro is nice for parts of Iowa and south central wi :snowman: Even us Southerners could see a little.. Can't be no worse of a bust than this past weekends severe snoozer imby. Best of all no warm air in sight like this past sunday.. I'm done with that crap until hopefully well in to may.

Made it to 83 here yesterday which was a new record high for KBTL. Old record was 82.

Other records..

Historic high temperatures on April 10

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

619 AM EDT MON APR 11 2011

...HISTORIC HIGH TEMPERATURES ON APRIL 10...

THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 85 DEGREES IN GRAND RAPIDS ON APRIL

10 NOT ONLY WAS A NEW RECORD FOR THE DAY BUT IT IS ALSO THE EARLIEST

ON RECORD THAT GRAND RAPIDS HAS REACHED OR EXCEEDED 85 DEGREES.

THE LAST TIME GRAND RAPIDS HAD A HIGH OF AT LEAST 85 DEGREES THIS

EARLY IN THE YEAR WAS APRIL 16 2002...WITH A HIGH OF 86.

THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 83 DEGREES IN LANSING ON APRIL 10

ALSO WAS NOT ONLY A NEW RECORD FOR THE DAY BUT IT IS THE EARLIEST

IN THE SEASON THAT LANSING HAS EVER REACHED OR EXCEEDED 83

DEGREES. THE PREVIOUS BENCHMARK WAS SET ON APRIL 12 1977 WITH A

HIGH OF 83 DEGREES.

$$

HOVING

:sleepy:

Let's enjoy Spring first, eh?

If I have to go through this crap (a complete waste of warm/unstable giving way to a cold stratiform rain) the next two months then I want this spring to end as soon as possible.

Spring has to be my 2nd least favorite season. Give me a spring like 2010 anytime.

If I have to go through this crap (a complete waste of warm/unstable giving way to a cold stratiform rain) the next two months then I want this spring to end as soon as possible.

Spring has to be my 2nd least favorite season. Give me a spring like 2010 anytime.

:thumbsup: agree!

I hate Spring! But it still doesn't make the bottom of favorite seasons order. lol

#1 Summer

#2 Fall

#3 Spring

#4 Winter (yes that's right..Winter Blows! The occasional Winter Storm keeps me ticking)

Why do people hate spring so much? It's a mixed bag, and considering we're on this board b/c we like tracking interesting weather, I wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. Severe weather, surprise winter storms, big temperature swings, etc. are all possible. Fall's the worst season. Oftentimes the most interesting weather is a cold rain or windstorm like the Octobomb. It's also semi depressing b/c you know cold winter weather is coming.

Why do people hate spring so much? It's a mixed bag, and considering we're on this board b/c we like tracking interesting weather, I wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. Severe weather, surprise winter storms, big temperature swings, etc. are all possible. Fall's the worst season. Oftentimes the most interesting weather is a cold rain or windstorm like the Octobomb. It's also semi depressing b/c you know cold winter weather is coming.

I suppose it's all in one's perspective.

Other than the cold winter brewing, I see spring the same way you see fall.

Spring and Fall are pretty boring from an interesting weather perspective, unless you live in the plains or upper midwest.

To each his own. IMO summer sucks...well it doesn't technically suck because of pool/beach/bikini/grilling out season, but hot and humid is not my cup of tea. As for Spring, well I guess it depends on one's location. It's usually a pretty exciting season down here in the tropics with severe weather, etc.

As for the other poster who ranked Spring and Winter 3rd and 4th, you should probably think about moving south. MI is not the place for you...nor apparently is a weather forum (where Spring and Winter are the busiest and most exciting times) for that matter. :arrowhead:

I suppose it's all in one's perspective.

Other than the cold winter brewing, I see spring the same way you see fall.

Spring and Fall are pretty boring from an interesting weather perspective, unless you live in the plains or upper midwest.

The difference I see is that with spring you never know what you're going to get, and as a weather weenie that is a bit enticing. With fall you generally know you're going to get warm days, cool nights, with the occasional rainy/stormy system. Very little severe weather, almost no snow until December (which technically shouldn't even be a fall month).

To each his own. IMO summer sucks...well it doesn't technically suck because of pool/beach/bikini/grilling out season, but hot and humid is not my cup of tea. As for Spring, well I guess it depends on one's location. It's usually a pretty exciting season down here in the tropics with severe weather, etc.

As for the other poster who ranked Spring and Winter 3rd and 4th, you should probably think about moving south. MI is not the place for you...nor apparently is a weather forum (where Spring and Winter are the busiest and most exciting times) for that matter. :arrowhead:

:thumbsdown:

hmm..

No see this is where we differ. Each one of us has opinions. I respect the fact you think summer sucks. Now respect mine that I think winter sucks. These are personal preferences and shouldn't be taken as the bible. Not too mention I specifically stated how Winter Storms keep the winter interesting ("keeps me ticking")

Moving South..Most Def on the table! Ill take GA heat with 90 degrees and dews in the 60s , any day over a Winter Storm or cool spring!

Everyone has their personal taste. You seem to forget a weather forum is also a place for people from all walks of life to express their love or opinions about weather, not just a place for those who all share the same taste for certain types of weather gather.

I do enjoy snow (thus that I do like about winter), but I hate cold, granted I take it as a premium for the snow. Severe weather is my biggest love.

I've already accepted I live in a area relatively bad for my kind of weather, but it is what it is until I can move.

BTW, I wasn't trying to go off topic, down on anyone else or start a pity party for me, I was just explaining my disagreement about Spring

We hit 20C/68F for the first time this year yesterday(April 10 2011) at 330pm

First 20C/68F of the year going back to 1998 in Waterloo

Year Month Day Time

1998 March 27 1:00 pm

1999 April 3 1:00 pm

2000 March 8 12:00 pm

2001 April 8 12:15 pm

2002 April 11 4:45 pm

2003 April 15 12:00 pm

2004 April 18 5:30 pm

2005 April 18 2:30 pm

2006 April 19 2:15 pm

2007 March 26 3:15 pm

2008 April 17 4:00 pm

2009 April 18 1:30 pm

2010 April 1 1:00 pm

I actually have 2 different lists. My list as a weather hobbyist:

1. Spring (severe storms)

2. Winter (snow storms)

3. Summer (heat and occasional severe)

4. Fall (occasional severe, but mostly blah)

My personal list, owing to the fact that I work outdoors and am a warminista at heart:

1. Summer

2. Spring

3. Winter

4. Fall

These are the days that make spring beautiful..no lake breeze..partly sunny and 59 out ATM...7 degrees above normal.. +32 in april like yesterday is cute for a day and the timing was perfect being at miller park...But..I don't care to see another day like yesterday until late may.. +32 = seeing way to many shirtless men at the Brewer game that either needed weed eaters taken to their backs and chest or others that should be wearing a shirt in the shower.

These are the days that make spring beautiful..no lake breeze..partly sunny and 59 out ATM...7 degrees above normal.. +32 in april like yesterday is cute for a day and the timing was perfect being at miller park...But..I don't care to see another day like yesterday until late may.. +32 = seeing way to many shirtless men at the Brewer game that either needed weed eaters taken to their backs and chest or others that should be wearing a shirt in the shower.

:lol: and agree. Not about the shirtless men at Brewer games as I go to very few Brewer games and cannot attest to that situation. I agree that days like today are ideal spring weather, but I def want some interesting days like yesterday and perhaps next Friday to occur as well.

Archived