northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
April 2011 general discussion/obs thread

Hoosier

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, 83 at 2 PM, one degree higher than my call. Given the thermal profiles we should top out around 86 or 87.

Our late evening decrease is tricky given the strong southerly flow...could see us being a little warmer than the numbers I have.

Good call by you.

Inside temp at my place has hit 76º. AC is now cranking. :(

Hail to the size of golfballs was reported around 11am this morning just south of here a few clicks and pea sized hail at my location :weight_lift:

When the severe thunderstorm plowed through here it was 44.6F... it's up to 70F right now and sunny. More storms are expected this evening/overnight. A truly fantastic opening to the severe weather season here.

That is bump troll material right there. I hope you don't leave over biting on Crotropsauk's bait. I don't think you have to worry. My call for ORD is 86.

FAIL

Wind from the SSW (210 degrees) at 28 MPH (24 KT) gusting to 35 MPH (30 KT) Visibility 10 mile(s) Sky conditions partly cloudy Temperature 82.9 F (28.3 C) Dew Point 64.0 F (17.8 C) Relative Humidity 52% Pressure (altimeter) 29.48 in. Hg (998 hPa) Pressure tendency 0.11 inches (3.6 hPa) lower than three hours ago ob KORD 102051Z 21024G30KT 10SM FEW045 SCT100 SCT250 28/18 A2948 RMK AO2 PK WND 18035/2029 SLP977 T02830178 5803

No freaking way we have three or four days below freezing day and night. That's NEVER happened this late in the year.

I would agree, be tough for sure, but next weeks system has potential to be a monster with a widespread severe event, flooding and a snowstorm for WI if not as close as Chicago should the low track across central/ northern IL. It's a watcher but don't put your shovels away just yet, I think this system will generate plenty of it's own cold air and it looks to stay below normal at least for the following 10 days or so post next weekend...certainly no heat waves in sight. Just my thoughts, but the system will be a very sloooow mover so plenty of wet at least...cool showery...Sat night is what is peaking my interests...

I highly doubt this fantasy storm pans out. The great Lakes Region is in store for cool down but not a "cold snap"

Cold snap for sure for the middle of April... Won't last long but after today this will feel might chilly..

ecmwfNA_850_temp_168.gif

The Storm on the 18z gfs..

gfs_slp_138s.gif

Skilling has a high of 38 on Sunday with some light snow on his webpage..

I'm trying to figure out what halted our temp rise this afternoon. Forecast soundings indicated we should've been mixing to about 850 mb, which should've supported highs in the 85-87 range. We topped out at 84. Clouds did thicken up by mid afternoon so perhaps that is the culprit. In any case, I still think our temperature drop will be very slow tonight.

I'm trying to figure out what halted our temp rise this afternoon. Forecast soundings indicated we should've been mixing to about 850 mb, which should've supported highs in the 85-87 range. We topped out at 84. Clouds did thicken up by mid afternoon so perhaps that is the culprit. In any case, I still think our temperature drop will be very slow tonight.

Too cloudy.

Larry Cosgrove says no cold next weekend.

Palm killer on the way.

Congrats Wisconsin

Yeah I'm watching that system closely...could be a big snowstorm for the Upper Midwest and a severe weather set-up here in the Northeast. -EPO pattern is causing a strong Canadian high to build south and bring in the chilly air....still a pool of -30C 850s sitting over Baffin Island, so that could be an impressive cold shot for the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest after the torch.

Archived