• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Removal of NCEP Model Analysis and Forecast Page

dswx

its a horrible site. Those guys at NCEP are idiots. where are the 4 panel graphs??

:huh:

Let's see. 3 hour increments -vs- 6 hour through 192 to follow your snow storms you so treasure. A new Western N Atlantic zoomed in version for better viewing of the Caribbean during Tropical Season. Idiots? Thanks DT.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to be as reasonable and objective about this as possible, but I'd be lying if I said the interface for accessing the images doesn't seem like a step down from the existing site. Fortunately, it will be easy enough for someone to create a more sightly and organized table of links to the images externally (however, such a page wouldn't be able to update in real-time as a new run comes in). Hopefully, the NCEP web developers will either modify this interface or at least preserve the existing one as an alternative.

The addition of 3-hour increments (where available) is welcome, of course.

Let's see. 3 hour increments -vs- 6 hour through 192 to follow your snow storms you so treasure. A new Western N Atlantic zoomed in version for better viewing of the Caribbean during Tropical Season. Idiots? Thanks DT.

without a good User interface, everything else fails. Its horrible to use on a mobile site and the 4 panel maps are huge for me. Where are those? Its clunky and disorganized and confusing. 1 step forward and 2 steps back

The one thing that stinks is trying to view the new site on a mobile device, too...they are taking a step back by removing the old ncep analysis site. Having the quick and easy links to click on made everything easier.

I've tried getting used to the new format over the past several months, but I have come to the realization that I hate it. It's cluttered...the maps seem to be worse than the current operational site with less options. 3 hour increments are great, but I just can't really say I like it. Doesn't really matter in the end, though..I pay for other data so I just won't use the NCEP site.

Couldn't say it better myself. I tried for several weeks in January to use the new site and just flat out hated it. It is not user friendly and very very cluttered. I will miss the old site. It is what I started used back in middle school when I first became interested in weather - RIP :(

This is probably a worse change than the warning consolidation beta that's up on weather.gov. Not enough ease of access of information. I lurked around the site, really don't like it one bit.

Why ruin a good thing? If you want to add 3 hr interval, code a bunch of html and some tables and leave it as is.

It's hardly an easy way to get to the information...too much clutter and not an easy way to get from one map to another.

It's an idiotic way of implementing some good changes. A 15 yr old with basic html experience could have coded a table with links to the new maps for them as a computer science project in high school and made a more positive contribution to the weather community.

Sorry for hating on NCEP but it's an awful way to roll out some really good changes.

The links to specific times on the old site >>> drop down menu

Also is it just me or does it seem like this is in a lower resolution, kind of like the medium maps now on NCEP. Steps backwards are never good.

However as a plus side, the 3hr increments are a nice addition.

Have bookmarked the new site, but will take time to get used to it. Like the 3 hr. increments but hate having to go back and click the hr. and field each time when I am not using the loop. With the old site the field stayed the same and I just clicked the hr. I was interested in seeing. The zoom feature is neat.

its a horrible site. Those guys at NCEP are idiots. where are the 4 panel graphs??

Perhaps send them some constructive criticism and/or suggestions instead of being such a jackass.

someone should forward this link to NCEP of this thread. What a big FAIL

Winning friends and influencing people is not your forte, is it...;)

For those that enjoy use the NWS model analyses and forecast page

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

you should be aware that on april 1 the page will change to this:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller

Having played around with the new page for a few weeks now I can comfortably state that it stinks. I've actually never seen and upgrade be more of a downgrade in a long time.

First, with the new page you can't select from the corse, medium and fine resolution model displays. The default is corse and for those that like to forecast for specific mesoscale sized areas that corse view is terrible.

Secondly, it takes at least two extra mouse clicks to dial into the forecast hour you want. At least. Say I want the GFS output for the 850mb temps at hr 120. On the old page it was one click on the GFS (at whatever res. I wanted at whatever model run I wanted) then I would select upper air graphic and scroll to the forecast hour. Now I have to select a location (N. america) then select GFS, then select the output and then separately the forecast hour from a drop down menu. Extra time - wasted time.

Really...just terrible.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

The first few times I went there, I could not figure out that the "1000_500_thick" field also means that SLP and precip. are displayed. I also think they should include large versions of each map.

I just discovered this: if you pick one specific time frame, and not a loop, you see this at the top of the page:

"Zoom in | Normal | Zoom Out"

If you zoom in, the image does not actually tell you any more information.

On the other hand, if the you click on the "large" version of the old web site, like this:

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_ten_000l.gif

then you are able to see lots more wind barbs plotted. I like looking at high-density wind barb plots once in a while because I live in a region where there are many wind changes in the mesoscale. I live next to the Rockies. When you are next to a mountain chain with 7000-ft vertical differences, winds, temperatures, and everything are highly variable in the mesoscale. Sometimes the high-density wind barb plots help out.

I also use the "large" versions for storm-total precipitation plots (24 hour, 48 hour) if I can't tell which precipitation category a specific place is in. For example, sometimes, with a snowstorm, my town might be on the border of 0.25" and 0.50". It could help to look at the "large" plots.

On a different note, I wrote my web page, which links to weather models, partially for these purposes:

1. The web changes

2. Web sites sometimes aren't working

3. Why not have a link to each weather model web site?

Here's my links to weather models.

http://www.greatlake...Prediction.html

I also have something else to add. I occasionally look at the RTMA, although I don't look at it all the time. Does anybody else think that having the color table with "hot" colors representing cold temperatures and "cold" colors representing hot temperatures is TOTALLY messed up?

I also have something else to add. I occasionally look at the RTMA, although I don't look at it all the time. Does anybody else think that having the color table with "hot" colors representing cold temperatures and "cold" colors representing hot temperatures is TOTALLY messed up?

Please take a few minutes to fill out the NWS survey for RTMA-specific feedback....I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

http://www.weather.g...y.php?code=rtma

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a petition out there yet to prevent the change to the new site for NCEP ? I personally think its the most awful decision ever. and still can't figure out how to get JUST a static image.... everything seems to be animation based no matter what I click on. And the navigation is horrendous.

keep the old page plz ! -

http://www.nco.ncep....wprod/analysis/

who the heck was the rocket scientist that came up with that idea anyway ? It looks like a page created in 1989. (the new page)

Archived