• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Removal of NCEP Model Analysis and Forecast Page

dswx

Is there a petition out there yet to prevent the change to the new site for NCEP ? I personally think its the most awful decision ever. and still can't figure out how to get JUST a static image.... everything seems to be animation based no matter what I click on. And the navigation is horrendous.

keep the old page plz ! -

http://www.nco.ncep....wprod/analysis/

who the heck was the rocket scientist that came up with that idea anyway ? It looks like a page created in 1989. (the new page)

The drop down menu (Forecast Hr) near the top is automatically set to loop. You can choose whatever hour you want to see the image for. I agree that the whole setup is more cumbersome, and sent in my comments to that effect.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The announcement at the top of the NCEP page now says August 29th instead of April 5th. Anyone know the reason for the delay? It's extremely unlikely, but hopefully this means they received a bunch of negative feedback and are rethinking and/or making adjustments. whistle.giftongue.gif

Reminds me of the GFS update scheduled for last spring...I mean June...I eman August...I mean....

Seriously though, I'm all for slightly higher res maps, but they've got to make it so it doesn't automatically loop. For slow connections, one wrong click and you're stuck there for 5 minutes.

The announcement at the top of the NCEP page now says August 29th instead of April 5th. Anyone know the reason for the delay? It's extremely unlikely, but hopefully this means they received a bunch of negative feedback and are rethinking and/or making adjustments. whistle.giftongue.gif

Yea, I saw that today as well..

Hopefully they change a few things , keeping the 4 panel maps would be nice

The August 29th thing is the ultimate mind f*ck to someone following the models on a major hurricane headed for Miami and due to make landfall August 3oth..

/They planned it that way.

The $64,000.00 question is will the GFDL upgrade due on May 17th be delayed.

A few days ago I wrote to them about my displeasure with the new changes. Got a reply today. Below is my email and reply. Sounds like they are listening!

#################################################

Mr. Bank:

We have negotiated to postpone the decommissioning of the Model Analysis and Forecast (MAF) site while we address issues with the Model Analysis and Guidance (MAG). Our updated Technical Implementation Notice (TIN) became available last week (23 March) http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin11-06aaamaf_removal.txt. The new date for decommissioning the MAF is 29 August 2011. We are also updating the User interface, availability of image sizes, and availability of 4 panel charts on the MAG site; those changes are scheduled for 27 June 2011.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,

---

Bradley Mabe

Systems Integration Branch

######################################################################

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:53:30 -0400, Gene Bank <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I have been comparing your new NCEP model site and the old one that will terminate on April 5th. Please, please keep the old site! It is not justy me that does not like the new site but it is the vast consensus of the Met"s on the American Weather Forum. Go to that site and read what people are saying.

>

> I use my mobile smart phone and the new site is just a disaster! Using the old site on my computer I could set up quick tabs to compare model runs. Much harder to do that now.

>

> Thank you for your consideration.

>

> Gene Bank

A few days ago I wrote to them about my displeasure with the new changes. Got a reply today. Below is my email and reply. Sounds like they are listening!

#################################################

Mr. Bank:

We have negotiated to postpone the decommissioning of the Model Analysis and Forecast (MAF) site while we address issues with the Model Analysis and Guidance (MAG). Our updated Technical Implementation Notice (TIN) became available last week (23 March) http://www.nws.noaa....af_removal.txt. The new date for decommissioning the MAF is 29 August 2011. We are also updating the User interface, availability of image sizes, and availability of 4 panel charts on the MAG site; those changes are scheduled for 27 June 2011.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,

---

Bradley Mabe

Systems Integration Branch

######################################################################

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:53:30 -0400, Gene Bank <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I have been comparing your new NCEP model site and the old one that will terminate on April 5th. Please, please keep the old site! It is not justy me that does not like the new site but it is the vast consensus of the Met"s on the American Weather Forum. Go to that site and read what people are saying.

>

> I use my mobile smart phone and the new site is just a disaster! Using the old site on my computer I could set up quick tabs to compare model runs. Much harder to do that now.

>

> Thank you for your consideration.

>

> Gene Bank

That's good to hear they are listening to feedback. I am looking forward to the 4 panel charts again.

• 1 month later...

This looks much improved from the current version of MAG. I'm glad that NCEP has taken forth a lot of the negative feedback they received from the first iteration and have made significant enhancements to the current interface. It was a bit ridiculous to have to pull down a drop menu to find the correct hour forecast interval you wanted for a model graphic. Now it seems like the format is a bit reverted back to the way MAF is organized with time intervals laid out in a table format. The flash loops were always great, but now that we have a much more assessable way to view individual model graphics, I'd say its ready for prime time come late June.

• 1 month later...

Archived