joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March General Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my first banter (that will likely fall on deaf ears)...I say now that winter weather season is over, we go back to having general monthly obs threads. I generally understood the reason behind creating a banter thread (to keep the models/obs threads from being polluted). But there won't be nearly as much model watching now that spring has arrived. Seems like ever since we started splitting things back up, we end up with 2 or 3 threads of the same thing...(rant over.)

Here's my first banter (that will likely fall on deaf ears)...I say now that winter weather season is over, we go back to having general monthly obs threads. I generally understood the reason behind creating a banter thread (to keep the models/obs threads from being polluted). But there won't be nearly as much model watching now that spring has arrived. Seems like ever since we started splitting things back up, we end up with 2 or 3 threads of the same thing...(rant over.)

things have really quieted down wx wise in the se :( i think i made maybe three posts the last week until the storms yesterday (and even that only got a few posts lol)

sorry to see winter go, as i was hoping for one more cold/stormy period. but now that its march, realistically time is rapidly running out. yes it will probably get cold again (after the flowers have come out, naturally) but winter precip chances are dropping by the day

things have really quieted down wx wise in the se :( i think i made maybe three posts the last week until the storms yesterday (and even that only got a few posts lol)

sorry to see winter go, as i was hoping for one more cold/stormy period. but now that its march, realistically time is rapidly running out. yes it will probably get cold again (after the flowers have come out, naturally) but winter precip chances are dropping by the day

That's OK. For N GA, these last two winters have been two of the best over the last 30+ years in terms of snow and cold combo. Not one but two!

Quite a difference in the temperatures for today. Hard to believe we were in the upper 70s to around 80 for a couple of days only to be brought back down in the mid 50s to low 60s. That is to be expected though when living here in the SE. The next several days should feature mostly seasonal temperatures and fair chances for precipitation (for now it seems), which I believe this month has potential to do us some justice in getting beneficial rainfall. The question is when and how much of the rain do we receive this go around.

I agree with you, Marion, on the fact that winter weather chances are not going to be as good as we had it previously (and therefore less model watching), especially during December and a part of January when we had our blocking. However, there is always that outside chance something could change with the current pattern were in and history says that snow can happen in a hurry if everything is set up correctly for such. Not saying that it will happen, but just something to keep in the back of the mind for the time being. I'd love to see one more round before we truly get into Spring (though most are likely ready to just get winter over with by now). This winter has been one of the best yet that I've seen so far and I have no complaints whatsoever. Being above average in snowfall is enough, let alone the record cold we have experienced. This can easily go in the books for an unusual but exciting winter.

It's been a fun season and all but now we look ahead to thunderstorms and tornadic activity as our new craze until hurricane season arrives, which honestly I will say that we could have a quieter period after seeing one tropical system after another develop in the Atlantic from last year but not completely certain about the idea. We will cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now, let's all enjoy the warmth and keep looking ahead for more storminess that may be in the horizon.

:)

I'm trying to make a forecast for RDU for tomorrow (MEA 214 class) and it's quite a bit difficult as the NAM/GFS verbatim disagree with their MOS by 6-8 degrees (~60 F vs. 66-68 F). It seems to me that the model output statistics are not picking up on some of the subtle CAD that may occur tomorrow and keep temperatures down a few degrees, so I'd tend to go more with the models themselves. Also, just from some of my rough forecasting without using modeling, a high in the lower 60s looks more probable to me.

I think I'm going to go with a high of 62 and a low of 31 (we start forecasting at 12z, so if it is 29 degrees at 9z for the low and 33 at 12z tomorrow, then 33 is the low).

I'm starting to wonder if there will even be another freeze at Hartsfield-Jackson. I believe the last freeze was on February 12th. The last freeze last year was around March 7th.

Last year was kind of odd the way the overnight freezing temps just stopped in early March. I would bet the even the airport gets a freeze in mid March or later. I hit 29 a few nights ago and I believe I will see at least mid 20s before April.

I'm trying to make a forecast for RDU for tomorrow (MEA 214 class) and it's quite a bit difficult as the NAM/GFS verbatim disagree with their MOS by 6-8 degrees (~60 F vs. 66-68 F). It seems to me that the model output statistics are not picking up on some of the subtle CAD that may occur tomorrow and keep temperatures down a few degrees, so I'd tend to go more with the models themselves. Also, just from some of my rough forecasting without using modeling, a high in the lower 60s looks more probable to me.

I think I'm going to go with a high of 62 and a low of 31 (we start forecasting at 12z, so if it is 29 degrees at 9z for the low and 33 at 12z tomorrow, then 33 is the low).

Should have went closer to the MOS. It's already 65 and we still may have another hour or so of warming. axesmiley.png

I'm sick of being bested by a computer. Need to work on that.

On the good side, I did just about nail the low temperature.

4 User(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Geez. This winter is the equivelent of ripping defeat from the jaws of victory. We were sooooo on track for a blockbuster season. All I needed was to get to this weekend to take my daughters tubing in the mountains. River tubing wasn't what I had in mind. :gun_bandana:

It's been real folks. A hearty thanks to all the mets who navigated us through some seriously fun storms during the holidays and into January. Barring a NC hurricane chase, see you all for that first frost in October!

Hey all you College Basketball fans in the SE Forum! We are preparing for March Madness over in the Sports forum. I've created an Americanwx group on ESPN.

Name: Americanwx March Madness

Password snowsnowsnow

You can't make your picks until the actual bracket is put out next Sunday, but go ahead and sign up so we can get an idea of the number of contestants. Here's March Madness Thread and here is where you sign up on ESPN, Click Join Group and then type in Americanwx March Madness . You may have to create an ESPN account but its free anyways. Once you are signed up click "edit entry settings" and change your entry name to your user name here on Americanwx.

I have a question about my La Crosse Wirless Weather station (it is the Weather Channel one) WS-1510-IT. My rain gauge has been consistently measuring rainfall considerably less than most of the neighboring stations. My gauge, this past event, registered 2.05 inches of rain. The Hickory Airport, which is approximately 2 miles north east of where I live, measured 2.67 inches of rain. A personal weather station in Icard measured 2.40 inches of rain, which is approximately three miles west of where I live. A gauge in Long View measured 2.66 inches of rain. Long View is around 2 miles away and is where the airport is located and is to my east. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their rain gauge and what ya'll did to fix it. Do I need to get a new rain gauge, and If I need a new gauge what kind should I get?

By the way, I usually register less than these three stations any time we pick up over a half inch of rain. Last month, I registered 3.5 inches of rain in an event. The airport registered 4.2 inches, Icard registered 4.4 inches, and the Long View station registered 4.3 inches.

I have a question about my La Crosse Wirless Weather station (it is the Weather Channel one) WS-1510-IT. My rain gauge has been consistently measuring rainfall considerably less than most of the neighboring stations. My gauge, this past event, registered 2.05 inches of rain. The Hickory Airport, which is approximately 2 miles north east of where I live, measured 2.67 inches of rain. A personal weather station in Icard measured 2.40 inches of rain, which is approximately three miles west of where I live. A gauge in Long View measured 2.66 inches of rain. Long View is around 2 miles away and is where the airport is located and is to my east. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their rain gauge and what ya'll did to fix it. Do I need to get a new rain gauge, and If I need a new gauge what kind should I get?

I think they're all calibrated differently. The official reading from KHKY should be the closest to accurate. Try putting another guage next to your current one for the next event, and compare the two. Then compare those two gauges to the ones around your area.

I think they're all calibrated differently. The official reading from KHKY should be the closest to accurate. Try putting another guage next to your current one for the next event, and compare the two. Then compare those two gauges to the ones around your area.

Thanks Foothills, I figured that KHKY is probably closest to accurate. I just hate being off by that much when I know it rained more than what I registered. It is not off that much, which makes it so much more frustrating.

By the way, I usually register less than these three stations any time we pick up over a half inch of rain. Last month, I registered 3.5 inches of rain in an event. The airport registered 4.2 inches, Icard registered 4.4 inches, and the Long View station registered 4.3 inches.

If yours is like most personal weather stations, it uses a tipping bucket and that type of rain measuring device is not the most accurate. My Davis rain gauge reads a little high compared to my CoCoRaHS gauge. Making sure everything is level can help but doesn't fix all the problems.

My Davis gauge is installed about 9' high but my CoCoRaHS gauge is 2' high. That could be some of my difference but I doubt it.

Archived