joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March General Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can any of you mountain folks tell me if the ramps our up yet. Ive gone too late the past couple of years so I thought some of you could give me an eye witness account. Thanks.

Not quite ready yet. I noticed last Sunday my "secret patch" was just breaking ground. Some places in the lower ellys should be ready in a couple of weeks. Usually you'll start seeing them for sale on the roadside toward the end of March. Love me some ramps.

Had to cut grass for the first time today. The weeds in my ditch grew so tall you would have thought there was no ditch to trip into (which I nearly did while using the weed eater). Other parts of my yard was more or less covered with onion and flowering weeds that overtook the area around my stone table and along the fence. Just unbelievable of how fast this grass grows around here. :yikes:

Taking a big risk in my forecasting contest for tomorrow with my 100% POP. Almost no one else has higher than 50 or 60%. The good news is that if it rains, which I believe is highly likely, I will slide up into first place among students in my class and probably pull close to Dr. Lackmann. But if I lose then my ship is done and my chances at winning the contest are all but over (if you beat the professor in my class, you get an automatic A and if you are in the top three of students, you also get your grade raised by 1/3 or 1/2 of a later grade, I believe).

I sucked on my first three forecasts, but have been moving up the charts ever since then and am currently in fourth of students and seventh overall (behind Dr. Lackmann, one of ours TAs, and the freaking NAM MOS). The NAM MOS is actually ahead of everyone else except for our professor right now. I guess I should have just straight copied its MOS output all semester. laugh.gif

Short-term forecasting is fun, though. It's all about splitting hairs, but just one or two degrees can the the difference between winning and losing. I definitely need to get in on the WxChallenge thing next year.

I am s12. PROF is our professor. t01 and t02 are our TAs (graduate students). NWS is the NWS forecast and, of course, we have the GFS and NAM MOSes along with persistence and climatology.

mea214forecastcontestst.png

Taking a big risk in my forecasting contest for tomorrow with my 100% POP. Almost no one else has higher than 50 or 60%. The good news is that if it rains, which I believe is highly likely, I will slide up into first place among students in my class and probably pull close to Dr. Lackmann. But if I lose then my ship is done and my chances at winning the contest are all but over (if you beat the professor in my class, you get an automatic A and if you are in the top three of students, you also get your grade raised by 1/3 or 1/2 of a later grade, I believe).

I sucked on my first three forecasts, but have been moving up the charts ever since then and am currently in fourth of students and seventh overall (behind Dr. Lackmann, one of ours TAs, and the freaking NAM MOS). The NAM MOS is actually ahead of everyone else except for our professor right now. I guess I should have just straight copied its MOS output all semester. laugh.gif

Short-term forecasting is fun, though. It's all about splitting hairs, but just one or two degrees can the the difference between winning and losing. I definitely need to get in on the WxChallenge thing next year.

I am s12. PROF is our professor. t01 and t02 are our TAs (graduate students). NWS is the NWS forecast and, of course, we have the GFS and NAM MOSes along with persistence and climatology.

verified.png

mea214forecastcontestst.png

And LOL at the NAM MOS beating us all. arrowheadsmiley.png

Im not a downeast peep,Joe, but Id say you can go until the river gets shallower than 3 feet. J/k. Have one of your kids up at the front with a weighted line taking soundings. I had to help my father in law find the channel to an anchorage once in post Ivan Florida. we about had to resort to taking soundings. Maps are useless after a hurricane.

I have a question for you downeast peeps. How far up from New Bern can you safely navigate the Neuse in a 28 foot Sea Ray Sundancer? I draw about 3 feet.

Thanks

Well you "could" go quite a ways actually, all the way to Kinston or even further I would think if you take your time. The Neuse gets way "twisty"past Kinston but its still deep enough in the channel, I bet its 6-10 ft or better in the channel all the way to Goldsboro but it gets pretty narrow maybe 50-75 ft wide in some places. I do know that at the speed you would have to go plus the twisty nature of the river would mean it would take forever to get up the river far at all.

I am not as familiar with the Neuse as I am the Tar which isnt passable to big boats north of Greenville unless the river is very high, and there could be some local areas were low water will get you in trouble fast that I dont know about especially between New Bern and Kinston.

Thanks guys. Kinston is my destination. Have some friends that had to relocate there and told them, if possible, I'd take the barge up to get them. Just wasn't sure if the Neuse would handle a boat like mine. I also have a 24' Grady White Overnighter but it's set up for fishing and doesn't have the electronics package that this new boat has. The Sundancer has twin inboard Mercs and bow thrusters so I can handle it in tight quarters better. Look forward to exploring a little more with it this summer.

Thanks guys. Kinston is my destination. Have some friends that had to relocate there and told them, if possible, I'd take the barge up to get them. Just wasn't sure if the Neuse would handle a boat like mine. I also have a 24' Grady White Overnighter but it's set up for fishing and doesn't have the electronics package that this new boat has. The Sundancer has twin inboard Mercs and bow thrusters so I can handle it in tight quarters better. Look forward to exploring a little more with it this summer.

Well good luck if the river levels are low like now then it might get tricky, looks like Kinston is running right at 4-5 ft and that should be ok since its always a little deeper in the channel as long as we dont get really dry it should be fun.

Archived