• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March General Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

I hope you guys dont mind me joining to? ive been lurking the southeast forums cause im going to be heading down to Florida in 2 weeks and stopping in Savannah for a couple days as well.

Jump right on in and welcome! Savannah can be a pollen mess around this time of year, I got married there 4 years ago on April 2, EVERYTHING was yellow-green in color. Maybe GaWx can jump in and tell you how it's looking right now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jump right on in and welcome! Savannah can be a pollen mess around this time of year, I got married there 4 years ago on April 2, EVERYTHING was yellow-green in color. Maybe GaWx can jump in and tell you how it's looking right now.

Thanks, id much rather deal with pollen than this dreary mud season i'm dealing with in Toronto.

If yours is like most personal weather stations, it uses a tipping bucket and that type of rain measuring device is not the most accurate. My Davis rain gauge reads a little high compared to my CoCoRaHS gauge. Making sure everything is level can help but doesn't fix all the problems.

My Davis gauge is installed about 9' high but my CoCoRaHS gauge is 2' high. That could be some of my difference but I doubt it.

Thats interesting that your Davis gauge reads higher. From what I have read, most tipping bucket rain gauges under report rain, especially at higher rates, due to the bucket not being able to keep up with the discharge from the funnel. Your CoCoRaHS gauge has no mechanical features and should measure rain accurately at all rates. However the one big disadvantage to that gauge is that it is only 4" in diameter versus the 8" diameter davis gauge. The smaller diameter makes the CoCoRaHS gauge more vulnerable to collection issues in wind, thus under reporting rain in windy conditions. Its actually a good thing you have your CoCoRaHS gauge closer to the ground as this decreases the effects of wind on collection. I also have both a Davis, and CoCoRaHS gauge and they almost never report the exact same totals, but are usually close.

Thats interesting that your Davis gauge reads higher. From what I have read, most tipping bucket rain gauges under report rain, especially at higher rates, due to the bucket not being able to keep up with the discharge from the funnel. Your CoCoRaHS gauge has no mechanical features and should measure rain accurately at all rates. However the one big disadvantage to that gauge is that it is only 4" in diameter versus the 8" diameter davis gauge. The smaller diameter makes the CoCoRaHS gauge more vulnerable to collection issues in wind, thus under reporting rain in windy conditions. Its actually a good thing you have your CoCoRaHS gauge closer to the ground as this decreases the effects of wind on collection. I also have both a Davis, and CoCoRaHS gauge and they almost never report the exact same totals, but are usually close.

Actually, I have a Vue and it's a 4" opening too. Mine are reasonably close, but the Davis is ALWAYS more.

I agree, most tipping gauges read low, I must have an over achiever! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm all signed up. BTW, you need a new avatar. That UGA crap has no place here. :gun_bandana:

Hmmmm. I sense a permanent ban of a certain emerson ga poster is in order lol.

Surprised no one is in the wx thread....looks like a great storm for a lot of us tomorrow

I too have both a Davis gauge and a CoCoRaHS gauge. Both are normally about the same if the rain is light to moderate, but in heavy rain the Davis gauge is always less, sometimes by a lot. In heavy rain, I just trust the CoCoRaHS gauge.

jealous hater. :rolleyes: Its mojo for March Madness

I'm certainly not jealous but I am a hater. Ugag is going to need all the mojo they can get when it comes to basketball. I saw ESPN has them as one of the last 4 teams out. I am a Dustin Ware fan though. I like to see him do good for home town reasons.

I'm certainly not jealous but I am a hater. Ugag is going to need all the mojo they can get when it comes to basketball. I saw ESPN has them as one of the last 4 teams out. I am a Dustin Ware fan though. I like to see him do good for home town reasons.

Yeah I personally know him, but I'm a huge UGA fan in all sports. Better than Tech...

It's funny ESPN has UGA has one of the last 4 teams out but Foxsports has them as a 9 seed

Yeah Raleighwx is a huge basketball fan over in the sports forum. He does a bracket every day now and has Georgia as a #9 seed. Not sure what Lunardi is seeing.

Yeah I personally know him, but I'm a huge UGA fan in all sports. Better than Tech...

Yeah Raleighwx is a huge basketball fan over in the sports forum. He does a bracket every day now and has Georgia as a #9 seed. Not sure what Lunardi is seeing.

Georgia does have a Recreational and Leisure Studies degree so its a good thing y'all have a decent sports program. Not much to hang your hat on academically. Just so you know I sit next to a die hard GA fan all day at work so I'm trained to pick on UGA fans instinctively.

You guys really need to sign up for our Americanwx March Madness group. Some of you biggest college bball buffs haven't signed up. 3 days until the bracket is released. We got 26 in the group so far. I'm hoping we can get to 40+. Go to the ESPN Tournament Challenge Homepage. Then click "Join Group", and then search Americanwx March Madness in the search box.

Name: Americanwx March Madness

Password: snowsnowsnow

Once you are signed up change your name using "Edit entry settings" to your name on here. This is just for fun with no money needed.

1 day until the bracket is released. We got 30 in the group now. I'm hoping we can get to 40+. Go to the ESPN Tournament Challenge Homepage. Then click "Join Group", and then search Americanwx March Madness in the search box.

Once you are signed up change your name using "Edit entry settings" to your name on here.Can't believe my bulldogs blew it yesterday, I'm gonna be on edge all day tomorrow.

Took a nice long ride from South Gastonia to the town of Belmont at the bicycle shop. Turns out that the reason my bike is producing suck powerful jerks whenever I start pedaling (or if I'm trying to pedal faster) is due to my bottom brackets coming loose, and of course my bearing is nearly busted and will need a new one. Otherwise if the bike repairman tried to fix it up, the balls inside would have fallen out and make my bike incapable of being ridden. :gun_bandana: Thankfully I can still ride it like always though.

Bracket comes out in about an hour. You guys have until Thursday before the main games start to join the group an fill out your bracket. We got 37 in the group so far. I'm hoping we can get to 45. It will be madness for sure!

Go to the ESPN Tournament Challenge Homepage. Then click "Join Group", and then search Americanwx March Madness in the search box.

Once you are signed up change your name using "Edit entry settings" to your name on here. This is just for fun with no money needed.

Heres the link to the main Bracket thread in the Sports Zone Go Here

Archived