joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2.24-2.25 obs/disco -- High Wind Warning Hoisted

Ian

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, heavy rain rates here the past hour...just about to push me over an inch for the day...currently 0.97"

I'm heading up to our camp in Potter Co, PA tomorrow morning. It was a planned get away a long time ago, but has turned into a snow chase. :) It is on the border line of heavy wet snow and mix.

They just went to a WSW-6-12" Better leave now.

So you're arguing the wind direction didn't have an impact?

Biggest factors for Isabel: antecedent very wet summer and the periods of high sustained winds. For most of the immediate metro area, the peak gusts in Isabel did not exceed 60 mph. But, the sustained winds in two periods (from 4:30 pm to about 6 pm, and then from 10 pm until 1 am) were over 40 mph for the area. Those were long periods of sustained high winds, something our area doesn't see much, if ever. Couple that with the soggy soil, and it was crippling to every utilities' power grid.

Wow, heavy rain rates here the past hour...just about to push me over an inch for the day...currently 0.97" I'm heading up to our camp in Potter Co, PA tomorrow morning. It was a planned get away a long time ago, but has turned into a snow chase. :) It is on the border line of heavy wet snow and mix.

Ahhh, Potter County cabins. My college roomate's family had one, and he, myself and the rest of the college roomies made some great memories there on several trips in school back in the late 80s. :beer: Beautiful area that always got GREAT snow totals -- we often SLID to a stop in front of the cabin in the piece o' crap VW bus that we always caravanned in.

BTW, currently 46 degrees, moderate rain, zero wind here in Hayfield Farm...

Nice wedge of stable air in place over the region this morning... should get eroded during the late morning hours as the cold front approaches. Still looking at some possible convection late morning west and early afternoon east.

Will conditions anywhere in the area warrant any chasing on your part today?

Will conditions anywhere in the area warrant any chasing on your part today?

Not going to chase today... 2% TOR risk seems to be more of a precaution than genuine risk. Stuff will be moving too fast, anyway, and I don't get out of work until after 11am so the timing is off as well. There shouldn't be anything to chase today.

34 degrees at HGR, 39 at MRB, 53 just 20 miles away at OKV.

Winchester also reporting the rare 101% humidity:

Wind from the SW (220 degrees) at 17 MPH (15 KT) gusting to 25 MPH (22 KT) Visibility 7 mile(s) Sky conditions partly cloudy Temperature 52.7 F (11.5 C) Dew Point 53.1 F (11.7 C) Relative Humidity 101% Pressure (altimeter) 29.4 in. Hg (995 hPa) ob KOKV 251300Z AUTO 22015G22KT 7SM SCT090 SCT110 12/12 A2940 RMK AO2 T01150117

Archived