joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2.24-2.25 obs/disco -- High Wind Warning Hoisted

Ian

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time we had a windstorm without westerly winds? Isabel in 2003?...and it wasn't even that bad, yet everyone lost power.

I'd bet 5 grand that if we were to see a day of HHW caliber winds out of the East, instead of the West, alot of us would be in the dark for several days. Wind direction can make a huge difference in tree damage.

The trees around here are Shaped by the NW winds. Alot of that is due to the Exposure & Drop-off in the Land, but alot of it also is just the way the Mid-Atlantic Is. Put in a 70mph East wind, alot of trees may not do so well.

When was the last time we had a windstorm without westerly winds? Isabel in 2003?...and it wasn't even that bad, yet everyone lost power.

I'd bet 5 grand that if we were to see a day of HHW caliber winds out of the East, instead of the West, alot of us would be in the dark for several days. Wind direction can make a huge difference in tree damage.

The trees around here are Shaped by the NW winds. Alot of that is due to the Exposure & Drop-off in the Land, but alot of it also is just the way the Mid-Atlantic Is. Put in a 70mph East wind, alot of trees may not do so well.

Are you seriously saying that Isabel wasn't that bad? :arrowhead:

I remember reading somewhere that winds peaked in our area at an 83mph gust. This plus extremely heavy rain (soft ground) made it bad for a reason. I remember walking to a friends house and watching whole branches (as the storm moved in) blow out of the trees and land on power lines. Seemed pretty bad to me.

Put in a 70MPH west wind and NO trees will do well...reference the derecho in 2008..........

Isabel wasn't bad? Are you insane????

During the Day it wasn't was what I meant :P. I lost power during the Day, and so did most of bethesda

after midnight it was another story completely.

Could have lost power for another reason. I know that Bethesda has a lot of odd lines (see the PEPCO criticism in the media recently) - they have a lot of feeders that cannot sustain a lot of usage or damage. What time did you lose power in that? We lost it while it was still light.

Speaking of Isabel, I think my point was the direction of the wind made things worse then they would have been, no power for 8 days is alot for 70mph gusts. I believe Silver Spring had an 83mph wind gust.

I didn't have a rooftop weather station then, and it was pitch black when the Big Gusts hit, but it was scary for me, I was only 11 years old. I remember during the day, it was just "windy". Power went out around 1PM, and at that time, winds were 35mph at best. That is unacceptable.

Speaking of Isabel, I think my point was the direction of the wind made things worse then they would have been, no power for 8 days is alot for 70mph gusts. I believe Silver Spring had an 83mph wind gust.

I didn't have a rooftop weather station then, and it was pitch black when the Big Gusts hit, but it was scary for me, I was only 11 years old. I remember during the day, it was just "windy". Power went out around 1PM, and at that time, winds were 35mph at best. That is unacceptable.

What about PEPCO is acceptable?

You probably have a point with your comment about direction of wind - it definitely makes sense. But my point is 70mph in ANY direction will cause damage. Many people were out for 4-5 days (a few people were up to 7-8 days) during the 2008 derecho...those were west winds.

Could have lost power for another reason. I know that Bethesda has a lot of odd lines (see the PEPCO criticism in the media recently) - they have a lot of feeders that cannot sustain a lot of usage or damage. What time did you lose power in that? We lost it while it was still light.

We lost it around 1PM, winds were maybe 35mph best at that time? I remember there were powerpoles snapped right in my nieghborhood (Glen Echo), which happened during the big overnight gusts.

Since I was 11yrs old, I don't remember as well. I do know for a fact that we lost 3 large trees and our gutter+ siding was torn up. But 8 days without power? Are you kidding me? 7/25 had stronger winds, and similar damage, but that was 4 days, not 8.

What about PEPCO is acceptable?

You probably have a point with your comment about direction of wind - it definitely makes sense. But my point is 70mph in ANY direction will cause damage. Many people were out for 4-5 days (a few people were up to 7-8 days) during the 2008 derecho...those were west winds.

haha you got that right. :P

the 2008 Derecheo didn't do anything around here, everyone had power, no damage, bleh.

We lost it around 1PM, winds were maybe 35mph best at that time? I remember there were powerpoles snapped right in my nieghborhood (Glen Echo), which happened during the big overnight gusts.

Since I was 11yrs old, I don't remember as well. I do know for a fact that we lost 3 large trees and our gutter+ siding was torn up. But 8 days without power? Are you kidding me? 7/25 had stronger winds, and similar damage, but that was 4 days, not 8.

7/25 impacted a very small percentage of what Isabel did. Let's keep our thinking caps on.

That comment might have warranted a new thread in our forum. Quote might be sig worthy lol. I think a decent amount of people who suffered extreme property damage and witnessed the winds would disagree with BethesdaWx.

lol

I will never forget Isabel and I didn't get any damage. Ill never forgot going down to Bayside Beach. It is a neighborhood in Pasadena on the waterfront. The place looked like a war zone.

haha you got that right. :P

the 2008 Derecheo didn't do anything around here, everyone had power, no damage, bleh.

Are you serious? Dude...what is wrong with your thinking tonight??? :arrowhead:

MCPS literally closed for the first time for thunderstorms for the 2008 derecho because so many schools had no power. I had no power for 2.5 days. June 4, 2008 was one of the most memorable severe weather days of my lifetime so far.

Are you serious? Dude...what is wrong with your thinking tonight??? :arrowhead:

MCPS literally closed for the first time for thunderstorms for the 2008 derecho because so many schools had no power. I had no power for 2.5 days. June 4, 2008 was one of the most memorable severe weather days of my lifetime so far.

No damage here.............It obviously hit you alot harder than me.......kept power, highest gust was 41mph. It didn't meet severe qualifications here.

I'm surprised 7/25 isn't tops for you.........my heart is still beating fast from that one! I knew it was coming, so I had my Vantago pro data streaming live to my laptop in case power was lost.

The data streaming to the laptop: For 10 minutes.....winds gusted between 68-92mph, and never got below 50mph or so. 16 gusts over 75mph, highest was 92mph, also hit 87 85, 82, 81, 81, those are the highest ones I'm looking at now. ..... Computer software can also be purchased for the Vantage Pro2 specifically to stream and record. I'm thinking about putting my station on WXbug.

No damage here.............It obviously hit you alot harder than me.......kept power, highest gust was 41mph. It didn't meet severe qualifications here.

I'm surprised 7/25 isn't tops for you.........my heart is still beating fast from that one! I knew it was coming, so I had my Vantago pro streaming live to my laptop in case power was lost.

For about 10 minutes, winds gusted between 68-92mph, and never got below 50mph or so. 16 gusts over 75mph.....I recorded all of this from the Computer software that can be purchased for the Vantage Pro2 specifically. I'm thinking about putting my station on WXbug.

Derecho definitely topped 7/25 for me. 7/25 was still intense though.

Derecho definitely topped 7/25 for me. 7/25 was still intense though.

The one thing about 7/25, the "intense" damage was very local. 500 yards away the damage was quite minimal. There was another corridor of "intense" damage near Whittier blvd and Walt Whitman HS, where entire White Pine rows were snapped off 1/2 way up. If you drive along river Rd tomorrow, and look at the Walt Whitman Field, you'll see pockets of Pine Trees that are snapped about 15 feet up. Pyle Road still had snapped trees everywhere in the woods next to it

I drove into NW DC along military rd to 16th street, and it was like nothing happened. Drove back, then north, N potomac was hammered, then another break with no damage just SW of Rockville, before another area of heavy damage a bit further north, probably going right through Rockville, I'm sure they got hammered.

FYI, I was only following River Rd, so I may have missed stuff in the nieghborhoods themeselves.

HWW in effect!

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

836 PM EST THU FEB 24 2011

DCZ001-MDZ004>007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ036>040-042-050>057-

501-502-250945-

/O.NEW.KLWX.HW.W.0002.110225T1900Z-110226T0000Z/

/O.EXT.KLWX.WI.Y.0007.110225T1600Z-110225T1900Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-

ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-

MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...

GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...

ST MARYS CITY...CHARLOTTESVILLE...LEESBURG...CULPEPER...

MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...

FREDERICKSBURG...WARRENTON

836 PM EST THU FEB 24 2011

...WIND ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 2 PM EST FRIDAY...

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING...IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TO 7 PM EST

FRIDAY. THE WIND ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 2 PM EST

FRIDAY.

* TIMING...FRIDAY 11 AM TO 7 PM.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 50 MPH LATE

MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. BECOMING WEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH

GUSTS AROUND 60 MPH DURING MID-AFTERNOON. NORTHWESTERLY BY

EARLY EVENING.

* IMPACT...POSSIBILITY OF DOWNED TREES...LARGE BRANCHES AND POWER

LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 MPH ARE

EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN BRING DOWN BRANCHES AND POWER

LINES AND MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE

VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED.

WIND GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE. SECURE

ANY LOOSE OUTDOOR PROPERTY.

&&

$$

this is a really quick hit windstorm -- isobars relax fast after a punch in the afternoon. it could actually be more intense than the last one for a shorter period if the guidance is right.

http://www.nco.ncep....am_pcp_018m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep....am_pcp_030m.gif

Last one I think had more highlights for fire than wind. We got some nice gusts but not a huge amount over 60. Are you thinking a couple places top 60?

Last one I think had more highlights for fire than wind. We got some nice gusts but not a huge amount over 60. Are you thinking a couple places top 60?

maybe but it had hours and hours of 50 mph+ winds. those do damage regardless of fires. there were not a ton past 60 I guess tho. MOS has been advertising upper 20s/low 30s kts sustained. it looks like there's a window in there where 60+ is definitely possible.

Archived