12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb. 26-Mar. 1st Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM depiction looks like it's a pure STJ storm. Cold air is locked up north of the polar jet in the Canadian Prairies. Notice the split flow:

nam_300_060m.gif

Yeah that is one very ugly looking Pacific. Thankfully if the models are correct about the tropical forcing/MJO that should change and put us in a much for favorable set up with winter storms.

Yeah that is one very ugly looking Pacific. Thankfully if the models are correct about the tropical forcing/MJO that should change and put us in a much for favorable set up with winter storms.

What are your thoughts about the D7 storm showing up on the GFS. I noticed a few of its ensembles are colder. Is that in within the timeframe of the favorable MJO changes?

12z NAM is considerably colder (850mb temps gets to 6*C at the warmest).

If only we could get just a little more CAD.

It'll be interesting to see if the models trend any colder, as the LLJ as we know it is pretty much history across Michigan (focused further SE). 2m temps on the NAM only gets into the mid 30s with a NNE wind, so the snowpack may be saved after all depending on how heavy the rain is.

12z NAM is considerably colder (850mb temps gets to 6*C at the warmest).

If only we could get just a little more CAD.

It'll be interesting to see if the models trend any colder, as the LLJ as we know it is pretty much history across Michigan (focused further SE). 2m temps on the NAM only gets into the mid 30s with a NNE wind, so the snowpack may be saved after all depending on how heavy the rain is.

lets keep it going SE. nothing worse than a cold rain.

Looking like another 33/Rain here according to the gfsthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Probably. The potential corridor of freezing rain is so small I doubt it has much impact anyway. From a winter storm perspective this looks like a non event for the most part. There has been some indication of a little stripe of snow on the back end on Monday, but it doesn't look all that impressive anyway.

These storms are turning into duds for my area. First, the last storm ran into dry air so we got nothing, then today's snow was so light we barely got a half inch(compared to models showing 2 inches for days), and now this next system appears to want to remain southeast. The models haven't been showing more than a quick shot of rain for southeast Iowa(with little if any frozen precip def zone) for a while so it wouldn't take much of a southeast shift to keep us dry. That's ok, though, because I don't really want more rain on frozen ground.

btw, cyclone, it's pretty amazing you've managed to get 21 inches of snow more than me this winter despite our relatively close proximity.

Chicago storm is fired from starting threads. MKE/ORD fail with the last 2.

My congrats MSP call :arrowhead:

Looking like what was once going to a be a gully washer here will now be sprinkles come go time.. Prob lose more snow to the march sun next week than from this dud up here.

Cedar Rapids has worse luck than, Kokomo.

Time for a new avatar.

Well the EURO has joined the rest in trending MUCH colder....still looking at heavy rains though (0.75-1"). My guess is that IF IT HAPPENS AS MODELS SUGGEST, that rain is going to soak into our heavy snowpack and make it even heavier. We would lose some depth no doubt, but we would end up with a glacier that even the March sun cant destroy :lmao:

Archived