northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 26-Mar. 1st Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the models have been awful with these last two storms even within 24 hours of the event. The northern extent of the precip has been flip-flopping all over the damn place. Earlier yesterday the NAM had nothing in Iowa, then the 00z had heavy precip up as far as CR, then the 06z moved it even farther nw to put me in the middle of it, but now the 12z goes back south with very little here. I don't know what the heck to expect.

Ok now call me crazy To me it looks the highest temps around here is 34-35 RAIN/SN/Sleet. Local TV station just said near 50 with thunderstorms :lightning:

So am I clueless?

I don't think 50F is happening anywhere in Michigan today. I think it's a guarantee the low is going to stay south of the state line, so no warm sector in Michigan.

I don't think 50F is happening anywhere in Michigan today. I think it's a guarantee the low is going to stay south of the state line, so no warm sector in Michigan.

just updated...this is a nowcast event

Tonight: A chance of rain and snow before 7pm, then rain between 7pm and 4am, then rain, possibly mixed with snow and sleet after 4am. Some thunder is also possible. Steady temperature around 35. South southeast wind 6 to 11 mph becoming northeast. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Monday: A chance of snow, freezing drizzle, and sleet before 7am, then snow likely, possibly mixed with freezing drizzle. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 30 by 5pm. North northwest wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 16. North northwest wind between 13 and 16 mph becoming light. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.

wow, went from a possible severe event to possible heavy snow in like 3 days. spring ftw.

EDIT: i think LOT needs some kind of winter headline north of I88, the surprise factor could be big with this one after all the rain and t-storm talk

Or winter FTW. But yeah I agree with headlines being warranted at this point.

Yesterdays waa snowfall dropped only 0.6" here, so for once, my area of SE MI relatively got the shaft lol. That was more or less what was expected, but it just seemed hard to believe this winter :lol: It was a definite overperformer in Flint/Saginaw area with 4-6".

jolly surprise up here. :drunk:

Yesterdays waa snowfall dropped only 0.6" here, so for once, my area of SE MI relatively got the shaft lol. That was more or less what was expected, but it just seemed hard to believe this winter :lol: It was a definite overperformer in Flint/Saginaw area with 4-6".

Yea we only got about 1-2 here in macomb. Flint and saginaw were left out with a few of the storms earlier this winter so everything evens out over time.

For LAF, seems the heavy rain/flood threat is moving south and east of here. I'm inclined to believe the 12z GFS more so than the NAM at this point with regards to QPF. Which is good, as the Wabash is running high already.

INC045-121-157-165-171-271944-

/O.EXT.KIND.FL.W.0003.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/

/LAFI3.1.ER.110218T1002Z.110219T1430Z.000000T0000Z.NO/

245 PM EST SAT FEB 26 2011

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR

THE WABASH RIVER AT LAFAYETTE.

* AT 1:30 PM SATURDAY THE STAGE WAS 10.6 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 11.0 FEET.

* MINOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.

* FORECAST...RISE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE BY MONDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE TO

RISE TO NEAR 14.6 FEET BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* AT 15.0 FEET...FLOOD WATERS APPROACHING WARREN CR 350 N IN THE

BLACK ROCK PRESERVE AREA. WILLIAMSPORT ROAD IN FOUNTAIN COUNTY MAY

BEGIN TO FLOOD. IN LATE DECEMBER 2008...THE ROAD FLOODED WHEN THE

RIVER CRESTED AT 17.2 FEET ON THE LAFAYETTE GAGE.

Current point and click for LAF, which is hopefully too aggressive.:

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 7pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 41. South southeast wind 10 to 14 mph becoming west. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Monday: A chance of rain and snow showers before 1pm. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 36 by 5pm. North northwest wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Archived