• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb. 26-Mar. 1st Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

wisconsin and MadTow, it's game over for us. Just couldn't do it. Models have a very good handle on things now.

Time to look towards the Thu/Fri event and another storm later that weekend.

Yes, but I'm going to see how long I can hold out before getting psyched up about either of those events. See if a two or three day break from these forums is possible. I somehow doubt it, though.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stratiform rain region on the convective complex is intensifying with time. SPC was right to issue that MCD. I frankly expected to make it above freezing today, but we stalled at 32, with nowhere to go but down. Am a little more than concerned about a bad ice event here now. If those temps drop to 30 or below, I'm screwed :axe:

Stratiform rain region on the convective complex is intensifying with time. SPC was right to issue that MCD. I frankly expected to make it above freezing today, but we stalled at 32, with nowhere to go but down. Am a little more than concerned about a bad ice event here now. If those temps drop to 30 or below, I'm screwed :axe:

Might not be pretty for you. :yikes:

Yes, but I'm going to see how long I can hold out before getting psyched up about either of those events. See if a two or three day break from these forums is possible. I somehow doubt it, though.

Have Hoosier give you a 3 day suspension lol. That would help you out.

Good luck to you guys in the Chicago area, figures that when I need a NW trend, it doesn't happen. Oh well.

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen over there and over toward Chicago. 31 at ORD but 34 at MDW. In a marginal situation like this the urban heat island effect could be just enough to prevent major icing in the city. Gonna be close though and might be some pretty variable conditions across relatively small distances.

Certainly is cause for concern. From DVN's 0z sounding, too bad that the sub-freezing layer isn't somewhat deeper so that it would sleet instead. Heck, too bad that it isn't sub-freezing through the entire column so that it would snow.

Certainly is cause for concern. From DVN's 0z sounding, too bad that the sub-freezing layer isn't somewhat deeper so that it would sleet instead. Heck, too bad that it isn't sub-freezing through the entire column so that it would snow.

we will go over to snow eventually but the question is if and how much ice we get before we do that.

I'm really interested to see what's going to happen over there and over toward Chicago. 31 at ORD but 34 at MDW. In a marginal situation like this the urban heat island effect could be just enough to prevent major icing in the city. Gonna be close though and might be some pretty variable conditions across relatively small distances.

the urban areas of the city almost never have bad icing for the exact reasons you outlined. That said, we're right at or just above freezing here on the north side.

30 here. Only made it to 32 earlier this afternoon. The precip is knocking on the doorstep. I'm guessing 0.1-0.2" of accretion here. Princeton to Dekalb and Aurora look like the best areas for freezing rain IMO.

agree, but don't sleep on ORD, they're at 31 and a loop of the critical thickness shows the surface freezing line still pushing southeast. The actual city should be ok until we go over to sleet or snow late.

the urban areas of the city almost never have bad icing for the exact reasons you outlined. That said, we're right at or just above freezing here on the north side.

Better hope your temps don't drop. That warm layer on the DVN sounding is 7000 feet thick. I know convection can alter the environment but it's hard to imagine anything but mostly liquid until way later.

agree, but don't sleep on ORD, they're at 31 and a loop of the critical thickness shows the surface freezing line still pushing southeast. The actual city should be ok until we go over to sleet or snow late.

Yeah, the west/northwest side of Chicago look to get in on that too. Even the inner city may have to watch trends later on.

Better hope your temps don't drop. That warm layer on the DVN sounding is 7000 feet thick. I know convection can alter the environment but it's hard to imagine anything but mostly liquid until way later.

Yeah, we'll have liquid falling until the tail end. But even if we drop to 30-31, surfaces aren't all that cold like they are during real hardcore freezing rain events where warm air rides over more intense shallow cold. I think west of the city should get clocked pretty hard, maybe .3 or so, but honestly, i'll be shocked if we get much ice outside of thin slushly layers on elevated surfaces. I could be wrong, but that's how things tend to go in the city.

what thread do I put this in? lol

almost 70dbz svr warned cell producing quarter sized hail in a cold environment lol.

Yeah just saw that. That is a fine looking cell. I think anything down that way is relevant to this thread as it lets us keep an eye on the convective nature, which could come into play farther north in a little while.

Archived