• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb. 26-Mar. 1st Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

I'm pro hail as long as I have somewhere to put my car if it's big. Looks like that cell has weakened a bit.

I've seen what big hail can do to a car (June 1981)...not pretty.

State: Illinois

County: Kankakee

Event: Hail

Begin Date: 08 Jun 1981, 1615 CST

Begin Location: Not Known

Begin LAT/LON: 41°07'N / 87°51'W

End Location: Not Known

Magnitude: 4.00 inches

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar presentation in northern IL is kinda concerning. It's basically a relatively large shield of moderate freezing rain with some heavier pockets embedded. Moderate rates aren't going to run off as much as heavy rates.

Oh boy here we go some moderate freezing rain coming down and can hear a crackling sound as it comes down.yikes.png

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  
1014 PM CST SUN FEB 27 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

1011 PM     FREEZING RAIN    SSE CAROL STREAM        41.91N 88.13W   
02/27/2011  E0.10 INCH       DUPAGE             IL   TRAINED SPOTTER                 

MODERATE FREEZING RAIN...RAIN NOT FREEZING ON ALL SURFACES JUST ELEVATED AND UNTREATED SURFACES  

It's pretty rare we get a pure freezing rain event like this. Seems like many times you get sleet mixing in from time to time. This is a very dangerous setup, but luckily it seems pretty progressive, and should be out of here by midnight or so. Areas from Dekalb to Chicago may not be so lucky though. Hopefully this shifts out of those areas before doing too much damage.

Last time I saw TSFZRA was Dec 11, 2000 I believe. Unique event. Enjoy it guys.

I've been through some ice storms in my lifetime, but can't remember having TSFZRA.

Best lightning/thunder/rain combo of the year ongoing here right now. And of course just as I was to hit send on this post, the power flickered off.

only at the fringes

MDW down to 32º.

10:27 PM 32.0 °F 30.2 °F 93% 29.64 in 3.0 miles North 17.3 mph 25.3 mph 0.14 in Rain , Thunderstorm Thunderstorms and Rain

SPECI KMDW 280427Z 01015G22KT 3SM TSRA BR BKN007CB OVC018 00/M01 A2964 RMK AO2 FRQ LTGICCG VC N AND S TS N AND S MOV NE P0014 $

MDW down to 32º.

10:27 PM 32.0 °F 30.2 °F 93% 29.64 in 3.0 miles North 17.3 mph 25.3 mph 0.14 in Rain , Thunderstorm Thunderstorms and Rain

SPECI KMDW 280427Z 01015G22KT 3SM TSRA BR BKN007CB OVC018 00/M01 A2964 RMK AO2 FRQ LTGICCG VC N AND S TS N AND S MOV NE P0014 $

00z NAM doesn't appear to be doing very well but I couldn't help but laugh at the clown map. It stops perfectly at the border of Tippecanoe county.

CONUS1_NAM212_SFC_ACCUM-FZRN_24HR.gif

I would echo the report posted just a bit ago. I left Walmart in town about thirty minutes ago. Surfaces were almost saturated and light rain was falling. Nothing was frozen on the car. Salt trucks were out from the local garage and on 47, 14, and 120. Ten minutes later when I got home, the car was glazed over. There was a sleet pellet or two mixed in there and visible on my driveway at that point.

Can now hear moderate rain falling on the skylights, with what sounds to be some pingers, on the north facing windows. Looking at radar, seems like this will go about two hours. We'll see if we can switch to snow.

00z NAM doesn't appear to be doing very well but I couldn't help but laugh at the clown map. It stops perfectly at the border of Tippecanoe county.

Wasn't it the NAM, during that one far NW run it had, stop the ZR just to the west of here and then continue it just east...effectively skipping over us? Bottom line, the NAM hates LAF.

But yes, the 0z NAM is not doing well with this current event.

Archived