• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 26-Mar. 1st Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

Man this is gonna be one hell of a difficult forecast for many areas. Pretty sad that at less than 18hrs out we're still getting relatively major shifts in precip patterns/temps. That's the way it's been lately though lol.

Here in the QC I'm thinking we're going to be seeing more freezing rain/sleet than snow. Looks like we'll start as rain, and quickly go over to ice. Question is, how much glazing will actually occur, or will the sleet dominate? Based off the 12z NAM soundings, the layer of warm air is relatively shallow, so I think we'll be seeing quite a bit of wind driven sleet. Temps at 850mb don't cool below 0°C until about 2am here. Thicknesses remain above 540dm through about 4am. I think we'll eventually go over to snow, but am definitely not sold on heavy snow accums here. There may be a very thin band of decent snow accumulations from eastern Iowa to southern Wisconsin. I think many NWS offices will be tweaking precip type/amounts even after the onset of the storm. With such small bands of potential frozen/freezing precip it's going to be very difficult to pin down.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight could be interesting, I love events that are up in the air like this. It's likely going south as the models say, but accounting for the GFS cold bias, which is very real due to incorrect accounting of diabatic processes I believe, I can easily see southern WI getting well into the frontal zone.

The frontal zone is already starting to develop on reflectivity imagery from TX to IL, almost looks aimed at Wisconsin as it drifts north and east. Nice cells popping in MO and IL. Thunderstorming and in the 30s looking at obs in those. Way too warm low-levels from WAA for anything but rain that far south.

At least the Skilldog is paying attention..

Concern for a north and northwest suburban freezing rain and snow event growing

February 27, 2011 9:00 AM | No CommentsColder than expected temperatures and a dynamic storm system ramping up over the Plains this morning may set the stage for a significant freezing rain, sleet and snow event for some of Chicago's northern and northwest suburbs tonight.

The first wave of precipitation is not expected to arrive until after 4PM, with the heaviest rain, freezing rain and sleet occurring after 10PM.

Check back for forecast updates throughout the day.

This kind of reminds me of something we would see in April where the forecast goes from SW winds and 70F with severe weather to NE winds and 40F with startiform rain in a matter of a day or so. I would guess the extreme cold that is sitting just north of the US/Canadian border may be helping to shove everything south along with the storm itself obviously being weaker.

RUC pulling a coup again?

Going by the current set up, it's a lot more believable than a far NW option. Looking at the moisture vectors and orientation of the trough i don't see how the action can be pulled too far north. There's going to be a p-type battle ground somewhere across northern illinois.

Going by the current set up, it's a lot more believable than a far NW option. Looking at the moisture vectors and orientation of the trough i don't see how the action can be pulled too far north. There's going to be a p-type battle ground somewhere across northern illinois.

Every other model is in almost unanimous agreement as far as I can tell, so the RUC is definitely a huge outlier. It would be remarkable if it ends up being correct again. It would also be a piss poor fail by the other operational models.

Model agreement means nothing now imo, it's all about now-casting. 0z yesterday showed S. WI getting pounded, every model showed it. Now everything shifted south again on the 12z models. They don't have a clue.

The event is ongoing and i'm just not seeing signs of a NW shift or reasons to buy into the more northern models. I think you'll continue to see the HRRR correct south towards the RUC.

RUC pulling a coup again?

Kind of somehow doubt that. Recall the RUC taking the last storm over W/NW Missouri at T-15 hr? Look how that one worked out. According to those runs, you should have walked away with 4-6"+. In this time range, the 4km-WRF and NAM did very well with the system. Speaking of which, the 4km WRF is showing some dry air impinging on the precip shield again this time, but not nearly as bad as the last time.

There's a wave that comes in aloft around 3-6Z (9-12 CST) that should send in some nice elevated thunderstorms, and I'm seeing some instability in the BUFKIT soundings during the snow period as well. The big question is surface temperatures tonight. My hunch is that those temps will hover at or just above freezing, since the warm layer aloft is so thick and the low level subfreezing level is extremely thin. Furthermore, latent heat release from that freezing rain may offset accretion and prevent it from becoming a serious event. But this is just a hunch at this point, as it looks to be extremely close, and we're going to be dealing with quite a bit of convection, which tends to do strange things to the temp profile and p-type.

Alec, I realize that the storm is on-going right now, but the precip etc hasn't even developed yet. A NW trend is possible once the storm fully develops, and I wouldn't rule it out at all.

I'm just saying 0z/6z runs were in "agreement" and then 12z runs all shifted south so who knows. This is a now casting event though considering we are within 24 hours of this starting.

All soultions are still on the table though.

Kind of somehow doubt that. Recall the RUC taking the last storm over W/NW Missouri at T-15 hr? Look how that one worked out. According to those runs, you should have walked away with 4-6"+. In this time range, the 4km-WRF and NAM did very well with the system. Speaking of which, the 4km WRF is showing some dry air impinging on the precip shield again this time, but not nearly as bad as the last time.

There's a wave that comes in aloft around 3-6Z (9-12 CST) that should send in some nice elevated thunderstorms, and I'm seeing some instability in the BUFKIT soundings during the snow period as well. The big question is surface temperatures tonight. My hunch is that those temps will hover at or just above freezing, since the warm layer aloft is so thick and the low level subfreezing level is extremely thin. Furthermore, latent heat release from that freezing rain may offset accretion and prevent it from becoming a serious event. But this is just a hunch at this point, as it looks to be extremely close, and we're going to be dealing with quite a bit of convection, which tends to do strange things to the temp profile and p-type.

thanks for your thoughts. 4km-wrf looks like a fun ride so i could live with that.

A repeat of weds night FTW lol 4 different precip types in an hour thanks to convection, that was awesome.

Archived