Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive. :) Of course nothing ever approached that depth out here where it has been an average winter.... Even though people in Albany think they are having a rough winter since there hasn't been an above normal snowfall winter there since 03-04. :rolleyes:

It's all relative. Alyeska now with 358" for the season (900" last season) MRG with 200+" so far. We'll come through the torch fine but would feel more comfortable boosting the pack back up this coming week. Hoping the 00z suite holds something good though still a long way out.

It's 33.5 here, but with the ground frozen underneath and dew point of 30...nothing is melting.

The bloodletting won't be as bad here tomorrow where it will be ovc certainly from noon on and fropa in the late afternoon. Upper 40's will be it I think....

30/28, just got in from a moonlight ski. Fast snow tonight even though I didn't get the wax right. Saw a lone Coyote on the far side of one of the meadows I crossed. He must be enjoying this warm night after enduring so many well below zero nights.

30/29 imby

Snow loss/settling was a few inches today.

Thanks to some lingering clouds and a good location (tall pines, surrounding hills) my neighborhood only hit 50 for about 2 hours. At this point It would have to hit 60 here tomorrow to get me too depressed about snow loss.

I'll post a pic from this morning and a pic on saturday morning to compare.

Tonights one of those rare nights when you can stand outside and actually feel the refrigerative power of the pack, the face is warm while the lower body feels cold.

Yeah, I noticed the cooling power of the snowpack on my nightly run through the woods behind my house...the deeper hollows with the deep snow were much, much chillier than the downtown and higher ridges of the woods. Almost as unreal feeling as it went from being comfortable in shorts to quite brisk in just a few steps. I'm sure that'll be exaggerated tonight since dews aren't too high.

Saw a lone Coyote on the far side of one of the meadows I crossed. He must be enjoying this warm night after enduring so many well below zero nights.

Wow, that's so awesome! We hear them howling all the time in the Poconos but I've not seen one in years.

Yeah, I noticed the cooling power of the snowpack on my nightly run through the woods behind my house...the deeper hollows with the deep snow were much, much chillier than the downtown and higher ridges of the woods. Almost as unreal feeling as it went from being comfortable in shorts to quite brisk in just a few steps. I'm sure that'll be exaggerated tonight since dews aren't too high.

Wow, that's so awesome! We hear them howling all the time in the Poconos but I've not seen one in years.

I saw two coyotes while snowmobiling a couple of weeks ago. Most people up here have very little use for them but I sort of like them and admire them for their resilience and survival instinct. The big thing for a lot of people is that they think they do a lot of damage to the deer herd but I don't know if that is just an exaggeration or not.

00z NAM is pretty far north with the first wave. Looks like it would be mostly snow though, perhaps some taint later on, but that is beyond the time frame of the model.

Yea, pretty good front end loader to that, nice isentropic lift event. That can snow small to mid size dendrite clusters at near 1/4 mile for 3 or 4 hours with that extrapolation. Interesting.

I saw two coyotes while snowmobiling a couple of weeks ago. Most people up here have very little use for them but I sort of like them and admire them for their resilience and survival instinct. The big thing for a lot of people is that they think they do a lot of damage to the deer herd but I don't know if that is just an exaggeration or not.

They seem more of a nusiance in urban areas... out here they just blend in with the other wildlife.

In Newport, RI, folks feed them... idiots

Its quite eerie to hear a pack of them howling late at night not more than a few hundred feet from my house. Drives the dogs in the neighborhood nuts.

Looking forward to a fresh pack of snow on top of the dirty, grimy snow now showing. Even 2-4 inches will freshen things up nicely.

Its not an exageration, I have seen them 1st hand hunt down deer and kill them, There was a bounty on them here for years as deer would try to get away sinking there hooves into crusted snow and the Coydogs would be able to run across the snowpack and decimate a deer yard in the middle of winter, You could hear them crying like babys as they were being killed, Its fact

Its not an exageration, I have seen them 1st hand hunt down deer and kill them, There was a bounty on them here for years as deer would try to get away sinking there hooves into crusted snow and the Coydogs would be able to run across the snowpack and decimate a deer yard in the middle of winter, You could hear them crying like babys as they were being killed, Its fact

There are wolves in New England too... FACT not Opinion (using Ray;s line)

They are all over the place here...saw one in the back lawn a few months ago. Wimpy howl though. We need some wolves back here with their stately howl.

Nobody in the DIFW will admit it though......

They seemed to own up to it being wild...

"An animal shot on a sheep farm in Shelburne last autumn was the first wild gray wolf found in Massachusetts since they were eliminated locally in the 1800s, according to the federal Fish and Wildlife Service -- which did genetic tests to determine the exact lineage of the animal.

The body of the wolf, which had killed a number of lambs and sheep in western Franklin County and was slain in October of 2007, was shipped out to a forensic laboratory in Ashland, Oregon, where the DNA testing was done.

Originally, officials of the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife said they believed that the animal most likely escaped from, or was illegally released by, someone who was keeping it unlawfully at home, but that opinion seems to have changed. "

Looks like it starts as snow for Kevin and then rips pellets for awhile.

Sw ct ftl. Gfs gradually slowing down, euro should gradually speed up and hopefully after the 12z we pretty much have the solution.

Re wolves im sure they are back. Heck it was maybe ten years ago that a 400 pound female moose was struck and killed on rte 104 in Raynham MA.

A few years ago we had two moose killed in the Hudson Valley below Albany ..one hit by a train near Hudson, NY and one hit by a tractor trailer on the Thruway just above Kingston. The one that met it's fate along the railroad survived and wandered off lame - only to be shot by troopers.

Sw ct ftl. Gfs gradually slowing down, euro should gradually speed up and hopefully after the 12z we pretty much have the solution.

Re wolves im sure they are back. Heck it was maybe ten years ago that a 400 pound female moose was struck and killed on rte 104 in Raynham MA.

Archived