e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT reply to the animal discussion: there are without a doubt Eastern Wolves and Coyote Wolf Hybrids in New England as well as Eastern Mountain Lions.

No kidding.

There was just a story run the other day that coyotes are bigger and bolder now because they've breed with the remnant wolves.

We've got fisher cats back here in se MA. Talk about a ferocious little bugger.

CMC on board for moderate snow Monday. We refresh the pack after a big assault this week.

I'm slowly increasing confidence that we might have a nice period in the first half of March where we rebuild some of the lost pack....likely won't ever reach our peak again, but we could get a decent amount back...ensembles have been trending more toward a GOA low rather than over the western US and a GOA low would promote some ridging in the W US. Combine that with a weak -NAO and a ton of frigid air in Canada via a -EPO, I'm think we will finally break our streak of rotten early Marches....maybe our first big early March since 2005.

Finger crossed. Obviously things can go wrong.

I'm slowly increasing confidence that we might have a nice period in the first half of March where we rebuild some of the lost pack....likely won't ever reach our peak again, but we could get a decent amount back...ensembles have been trending more toward a GOA low rather than over the western US and a GOA low would promote some ridging in the W US. Combine that with a weak -NAO and a ton of frigid air in Canada via a -EPO, I'm think we will finally break our streak of rotten early Marches....maybe our first big early March since 2005.

I agree Will.. Should be fun.

AWT...welcome to the club.

The theory is that during the period where the wolf was being hunted to near extinction in the Northeastern US - the remnant male wolves mated with female coyotes. It is a proven fact that the Northeastern USA coyotes have some wolf genes in them. They are definitely bigger than western Coyotes. I saw one of the smaller western Coyotes when I was in West Texas a few years ago and I can attest to it.

OT reply to the animal discussion: there are without a doubt Eastern Wolves and Coyote Wolf Hybrids in New England as well as Eastern Mountain Lions.

No kidding.

Enthusiasm FTW. This torch panic didn't rattle me a week ago and thus I just lurked mostly rather than post much.

You've been in New England long enough to trust your feelings of a big finish coming.

:thumbsup:

:snowman:

1) You can't have March after March be benign.

2) In epic years with tremendous blocking, the pattern usually returns.

Bank it.

31.5 here...actually have my Davis buried inside the snow around 6" ele, not sure how accurate it is.

I'm only 1.5* cooler than KBED.

You have some issues, kid.

I'm more interested in what the temp is immediately above the snowpack, anyway....I have the wxbug to determine what it is at roof level.

Its 42F here...but KORH is 47F so I'm probably lying.

Wow the hills are really taking it on the chin tonight...KORH is warmer than here, when does that ever happen except for the Snowicane?

It's amazing how the snow-covered hollows generate their own cold...I bet there are some low spots in your area near the freezing mark or even below it.

Euro is a nice little event for the front running wave on Monday. Maybe 2-4"...but it looks nice on the upper levels...might be a bit more in reality because frontogenesis looks strong....sleet issues for south of the pike though at least for part of it.

Wow the hills are really taking it on the chin tonight...KORH is warmer than here, when does that ever happen except for the Snowicane?

It's amazing how the snow-covered hollows generate their own cold...I bet there are some low spots in your area near the freezing mark or even below it.

Down the road from me it was 38F earlier tonight when I was still 45F...they are probably near freezing now.

However, this isn't high dewpoint air, so even at 42F, I noted earlier that the snow already had a crust on it...the mushy top has refrozen because of the lower dewpoints, so right near the surface of the snow its colder than the 42F temp at 10 feet where I have my thermo.

EURO blows south...right where it should be in a swfe.

For event #2 it does...but even then it now has like an inch of snow up to the MA border...that is a big trend north. Event #1 looks decent as I said in the upper and midlevels...i think we'd see a nice little ML Fronto band.

BIdiot disagrees

Guy guys need to call a truce or something, lol.

Anyways, I feel pretty good about some accumulating snow on the front end of #1, I'm just debating whether we flip to pellets or ZR/RA at some point before it ends or if we stay all snow.

This whole setup is really convulated and we'll see some pretty big changes from run to run I'm sure over the next 24-36 hours before they start having a better handle on it...especially with regards to the 2 part scenario and event #2 in particular.

Anyways, I feel pretty good about some accumulating snow on the front end of #1, I'm just debating whether we flip to pellets or ZR/RA at some point before it ends or if we stay all snow.

This whole setup is really convulated and we'll see some pretty big changes from run to run I'm sure over the next 24-36 hours before they start having a better handle on it...especially with regards to the 2 part scenario and event #2 in particular.

I just looked at the S shift on the SREFs...that can't be a good thing.

Yea, regardless...we should see a few inches.

Archived